• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hatch Chili Peppers (Merged Topic)

fooey

Red Chile.jpg

Ok, we are starting our prep for our annual Chile Roast.  Our dried red chiles arrived.  We will use these in Tamales, Carne Adovada (Red Chile Pork), Posole, Salsas and in a Red Chile BBQ Sauce that is served with smoked brisket and pork shoulders.  We usually buy ristras of red chile, but this year we also bought some bulk pods from a company in New Mexico.  Our green chiles will arrive next week right before the roast.  Friday night of this week is when we will make our Tamale filling with pork and red chile.  Then on Sunday, we will finish off the tamales and freeze them in advance of re-steaming them as needed on the day of the roast.

Edited by bobag87 (log)
  • Like 3

Here is a photo from last years effort to give an idea of scale.  I will try to post some pictures as we go through the next week getting ready.  For the most part it New Mexico cuisine based on traditional recipes.  We also have Texas BBQ and even a few modernist touches such as modernist queso and chile infused tequila.  

IMG_0181.JPG

• Like 6

I'm impressed, Shelby. That's a heap of work, but what a payoff you'll have all winter!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well it must be time for Chile Roast as I have my annual burning chile hands and forehead. I cleaned a whole trash bag of dried red chile and peeled about five pounds of green and there is no way around it. It is an annual ailment that will get worse as we bag chiles on Saturday for the freezer. The good news is most of the chiles arrived today. One more box tomorrow.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Our final preparations have begun. Tomorrow night we will make the stews and fire up the smoker. Tonight was getting all of the sauces ready and a number of other items including items more geared towards cocktails for Saturday. First, as with the tamale prep, we had to make red chile sauce from New Mexico red chiles that are dried. We used almost an entire trash bag of chiles tonight. The dried chiles are roasted in the oven for a few minutes, washed, stemmed, placed in a blender with salt, blue corn meal, coriander seed, Mexican oregano, garlic and hot water and then blended.

.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had been planning to buy some this Sunday at a market nearby as we both really have a soft spot for these after a 2,500 mile road trip honeymoon that included much time in NM. I seems that even in Southern California Hatch Roasting at supermarkets has suddenly become fairly commonplace this time of year (who knew and how did I miss it the past few years?).

Anyway... We were shopping on Saturday last & unexpectedly the market we went to was roasting! 1 1/9 bushels purchased & roasted while we waited for the princely sum of $24.99 all in. That equates to about 25lbs of peppers.

The time investment to prep & pressure can these was surprisingly trivial  - maybe <45 minutes to peel/de-seed (my wife & I work well together) + another couple hours largely unattended to pressure can 2 batches which yielded 24 pints. We could have also frozen these but I have far more shelf space than freezer space.

We have not tasted any yet but tonight will be cheeseburgers w/ Hatch Chiles :).

Shelby - the price seems about what it has been in the past but several roastings have been delayed due to inclement weather in Hatch.

We'll surely do another batch before the season ends. 

hatch1.jpeg

All Prepped

hatch2.JPG

Done.

Edited by Jon Savage (log)
  • Like 7

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I've enjoyed the Hatch chiles a lot but geography has made it almost impossible to have any for the last few years.   Now our local Fresh Market is selling them this weekend for 35/bushel.   Bit high but it's the only game in town.

The peppers are available in bulk as pre-order only.  Buyer to choose roasted or green at time of order.  My question is do I skip the fuss and order them roasted or will they keep better green and I can roast per use?  I plan to chamber seal pint bags and freeze  when I get them home.

And I could eat that cheeseburger right off the screen.

TIA

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 2

I've enjoyed the Hatch chiles a lot but geography has made it almost impossible to have any for the last few years.   Now our local Fresh Market is selling them this weekend for 35/bushel.   Bit high but it's the only game in town.

The peppers are available in bulk as pre-order only.  Buyer to choose roasted or green at time of order.  My question is do I skip the fuss and order them roasted or will they keep better green and I can roast per use?  I plan to chamber seal pint bags and freeze  when I get them home.

And I could eat that cheeseburger right off the screen.

TIA

I enjoy roasting them myself.  It's therapeutic :)  Mine from mail order keep a good week and a half but then I have to get on the stick and get them processed and frozen.

Do they cost more if they roast them for you?

Shelby - Thanks, the price is the same roasted or green.  When I lived in NM I loved the whole parking lot thing where you buy a bushel, they toss it in at long tube roaster and the smell is everywhere.  Seem to recall that frosty beverages were involved.....   I'm not sure that's what Fresh Market has in mind for roasting - another reason for the question..

• Like 1

Skip the hassle & have them roasted for you. Roasting 5-10 lbs is fun but 25-30 not so much. Besides that there is a small bit of work involved in peeling/de-seeding ahead of you anyway. 

Herself & I will do another batch the first weekend or so of September. 

@daveb that burger was delicious thank you. 

-edited to add burger info

Edited by Jon Savage (log)

Jon

Planted "Numex heritage 6-4" peppers this year and they performed wonderfully.  Still haven't roasted then yet.  These are a variety grown in the Hatch area, and beyond.  They bred flavor back into an old standard variety, and I really think it worked.  They are early and productive too. They are medium in heat.

• Like 1

Hatch chiles are currently being sold at my local Fresh Market at $1.49 a pound (Indianapolis).  I picked up some.  They also have packaged store-roasted Hatch chiles (on ice).

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

We did another 25lbs today; yielded 26.5 pints. We decided 1/2 pint jars were the ideal size to use.

Practice also makes perfect  - a little over 2 hours in the first 27 jars were already in the pressure canner and the other 26 ready to go into the 2nd load.

I think we are set until next summer!

• Like 2

Jon

• 10 months later...

I saw mention in a local grocery store ad that "Hatch Roasting" would be available at their store in a few weeks. It's that time of the year, I guess!

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

If I'm in Albuquerque the first week in August, what are the chances that this year's chiles will be coming in?

I'd say you have a great chance of getting some.  I usually order the first or second week of August.

• Like 2