• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

1 hour ago, rustwood said:

I am hoping someone here can help me decide what to do with some of the hatch chiles I bought.  About 30% of them are kind of leathery, thin-fleshed, and have skin that is very difficult to remove. 

Part of the problem might have been the roasting.  I had pre-ordered them and, unfortunately, they were already roasted, sealed and packed into a box from Young Guns Produce when I picked them up.  I could only remove the skin from about half of the ones in the first container because they weren't roasted very well.  There was almost no char at all.  I took them back and the manager explained that they had complaints from people who said they were burned so they are careful not to roast them too much.  I ended up having them roast them all again and that helped a lot, but it was less than ideal. 

It also seems like I got 2 different types of peppers:

chiles types.jpg

The one on the right is a little riper than usual, but generally the ones I expected and the ones that peeled without issue were similar to it - bigger, a lighter shade of green and with meatier flesh.  I'm not sure what to do with the other ones.  I guess I could try to roast them again and see if that makes any difference, although some of them ended up being fairly well charred and the skins still didn't want to come off.  I tried eating some with the skin on and that might be OK (although not ideal).  Any thoughts?

FYI, here all all 25 lbs of the peppers:

hatch chiles 2016.jpg

The container on the right is 2 quarts (with stems and seeds) so I am guessing there will be around 4 quarts or so in total.

They certainly do look like two different types of chiles.  Like you said, the one on the right looks like the ones I've gotten.

For the first time I've been using my Cuisinart Steam Oven to remove the skins.  They truly slide right off (mostly).  Do you have a steam oven?  That might help with the ones that you're having trouble with.......

Or, if the skins aren't too thick, could you use a blender and make a sauce?

Shelby

Shelby

1 hour ago, rustwood said:

I am hoping someone here can help me decide what to do with some of the hatch chiles I bought.  About 30% of them are kind of leathery, thin-fleshed, and have skin that is very difficult to remove. 

Part of the problem might have been the roasting.  I had pre-ordered them and, unfortunately, they were already roasted, sealed and packed into a box from Young Guns Produce when I picked them up.  I could only remove the skin from about half of the ones in the first container because they weren't roasted very well.  There was almost no char at all.  I took them back and the manager explained that they had complaints from people who said they were burned so they are careful not to roast them too much.  I ended up having them roast them all again and that helped a lot, but it was less than ideal. 

It also seems like I got 2 different types of peppers:

chiles types.jpg

The one on the right is a little riper than usual, but generally the ones I expected and the ones that peeled without issue were similar to it - bigger, a lighter shade of green and with meatier flesh.  I'm not sure what to do with the other ones.  I guess I could try to roast them again and see if that makes any difference, although some of them ended up being fairly well charred and the skins still didn't want to come off.  I tried eating some with the skin on and that might be OK (although not ideal).  Any thoughts?

FYI, here all all 25 lbs of the peppers:

hatch chiles 2016.jpg

The container on the right is 2 quarts (with stems and seeds) so I am guessing there will be around 4 quarts or so in total.

They certainly do look like two different types of chiles.  Like you said, the one on the right looks like the ones I've gotten.

For the first time I've been using my Cuisinart Steam Oven to remove the skins.  They truly slide right off (mostly).  Do you have a steam oven?  That might help with the ones that you're having trouble with.......

Or, if the skins aren't too thick, could you use a blender and make a sauce?