• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your top spices

Shalmanese

I just moved into a new apartment and probably my favorite feature is an ikea magnetic backsplash we installed behind the stove. The backsplash has room for 12 magnetic spice jars so I had to make some tough decisions.

Currently, I have (from left to right):

gallery_18727_6755_86329.jpg

Top row

Sumac

Homemade Curry Powder

Cayenne Pepper

Ancho Chilli Powder

Homemade Five Spice Powder

Szechuan Peppercorn Powder

Bottom Row

Whole Cinnamon/Nutmeg

Whole Star Anise

Bay Leaves

Herbs de Provence

Sel Gris

Red Pepper Flakes

It's a combination of things I know I use a lot of & things I want to start using more.

In addition, I've taken up an entire draw with probably another 40 spices in it.

Space is always at a premium so what do you keep easily at hand and what do you relegate to a more out of the way part of the kitchen?

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

nice stuff, however, I'm not so sure that storing them behind the stove (light, hot, moist) is the best place to put spices, I'd probably reconsider that. Unless you go through your supply pretty quick.

I'd also add some saffron or at least tumeric, and some whole juniper and allspice and some white and maybe green pepper.

Enjoy the new place!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Congrats on the new digs -your spices look very nice in those containers. I tried to keep a bunch on my fridge but they always came off at the wrong time. A stationary surface like yours will help.

My current dozen would be:

1. crunchy salt

2. whole black pepper

3. garlic powder

4. whole nutmeg

5. my own curry powder

6. whole allspice

7. ginger

8. cayenne

9. red pepper flakes

10. smoked paprika

11. turmeric

12. cinnamon

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

nice stuff, however, I'm not so sure that storing them behind the stove (light, hot, moist) is the best place to put spices, I'd probably reconsider that. Unless you go through your supply pretty quick.

I'd also add some saffron or at least tumeric, and some whole juniper and allspice and some white and maybe green pepper.

Enjoy the new place!

I was thinking this, too. I keep the peppercorns I have carefully horded in multiple ziplocs in the freezer. They lose their potency very quickly.

But, if you're using this setup for day-to-day items, then it makes good sense.

I agree with the concensus that behind the stovetop may not be the best place for the spices... I also keep my spices in the magnetic canisters - but I bought a 24 x 36" white board from staples and hung it on a wall in the corner... that way, I put just about all of my spices in there and i don't have to make choices! One thing I find about the canisters is that they tend to get a little sticky and hard to open sometimes...

Some things I use a lot that you don't have up there are coriander and cumin, herbs de provence... and piment d'espelette... don't know what I'd do without it!! I guess it all has to do with whatever you use the most...

Edited by KennethT (log)

Chili powder

Cumin powder

Smoked paprika

Italian seasoning

Mrs. Dash

Red pepper flakes

Garlic powder

Toasted onion powder

Basil

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I agree with the concensus that behind the stovetop may not be the best place for the spices... I also keep my spices in the magnetic canisters - but I bought a 24 x 36" white board from staples and hung it on a wall in the corner... that way, I put just about all of my spices in there and i don't have to make choices!  One thing I find about the canisters is that they tend to get a little sticky and hard to open sometimes...

If you own your abode and you or your DH is handy, you can make an excellent spice cupboard right in your wall. Open up the wall between two sets of studs and you have a space which is perfect for spices and other little thingies. A small door hides it all from view. Perfect.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

hard to choose

I find I use more herbs than spices these days. I go through them at a rapid clip; spices, not so much.

by the way, garlic [in its fresh form] is technically an herb, not a spice.

on topic, my top 10 are:

bay leaves

whole peppercorns -- these are in a pepper mill

mustard seeds -- both black and yellow

cinnamon sticks

turmeric

dried chiles

nutmeg

cumin

cardamom pods

whole cloves

Pretty!! :wub:

I think having some of the spices there makes it even more likely that you will reach for them in a moment of inspiration - especially something you might not use quite as often.

I haven't been doing much cooking with a lot of layers / flavors lately. mostly I've been using fresh produce and herbs. Once the weather turns I'll go back to my cumin, coriander, etc...

You're not trying hard enough! I see space for at least 6 more of those containers. 10 more if you don't mind crowding. :raz:

I agree with the general consensus in principle but I don't see a problem with keeping smallish amounts of things you use often or don't mind replacing regularly. It may even be beneficial, a convenient reminder to keep them fresh.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm only putting stuff up there that I go through at a rapid clip so I'm not too worried. A good test would be if they lose potency, they don't deserve to be up there.

The Herb de Provence has been replaced by Cumin Powder which I was temporarily out of.

Upon consideration, the whole star anise, sel gris & sumac would probably be the first to go, replaced with pimenton, Klink's dry rub & Oregano.

Still tinkering with the setup...

I'm just curious, as I've seen those containers and first liked them, but then had this mental picture of myself pulling one off the wall in a hurry and ending up with just the cap in my hand and a big mess on the counter.....

Are the tops screwed on? I thought about expanding my spice laboratory by putting some of these on the inside of the cupboard doors, but if there's a chance of the lids popping or being pulled off I'll stay away from that idea. Just don't want to drive all the way to IKEA to find out :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I have a small baking tray from an old toaster oven that sits on the counter to corral the myriad small jars and bottles of things that need to be always at hand in my little prep area.

Other spices and dried herbs live in two drawers opposite, next to the fridge.

What I end up using most, and couldn't think of living without (ignoring for the moment the distinction between herbs and spices):

Sea salt - coarse

Sea salt - fine

Pepper corns in one or more grinders - (usually a mix)

Penzey's medium hot cayenne pepper flakes

Cumin seeds

Sweet Hungarian Paprika

Oregano

Cinnamon

Allspice

Nutmeg

Cardamon

And then there are the items I use fresh: garlic, basil, thyme, rosemary, mint, cilantro, tarragon.

Of course, there a lots more exotic items in my two drawers, but if I'm honest, they are mostly just taking up space.

I'm just curious, as I've seen those containers and first liked them, but then had this mental picture of myself pulling one off the wall in a hurry and ending up with just the cap in my hand and a big mess on the counter.....

Are the tops screwed on? I thought about expanding my spice laboratory by putting some of these on the inside of the cupboard doors, but if there's a chance of the lids popping or being pulled off I'll stay away from that idea. Just don't want to drive all the way to IKEA to find out :-)

They do have a shallow screwtop but it's not the best lid in the world. It can occasionally take a bit of fiddling to find the thread. Also, these jars have the unfortunate property of shaking off a fine mist of spice every time you open them. Make sure you're standing over what your about to season before opening.

In no particular order...

1. Star Anise

2. Cardamom

3. Oregano (Turkish and Mexican)

4. Cocoa

5. Bay Leaves (Turkish)

6. Saffron (Iranian, but Spanish works too)

7. Cinnamon (Indonesian cassia)

8. Szechuan Peppercorns

9. Hawaj

10. Sumac

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

I tried some of Penzey's Cajun Style Seasoning today. I might have to add it to the list.

I moved from Louisiana years ago and this is the first time I smelled a spice mixture that really nails the traditional formula.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

No one favorite....

These are all in the cabinet above the stove--not the coolest spot in the kitchen, but in my house without a/c, there is no cool dry place besides the refrigerator, grouped by how I use them and how many fit into each basket:

gallery_16931_6727_6368.jpg

top left basket is larger volume spices, e.g., ground cinnamon, black peppercorns, bay leaves

next are the smaller volume powdered mostly sweet spices e.g., ginger, cardamom, coriander, cloves

middle right dried herbs, eg, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, savory

top right extracts & food colors

Bottom left savory seeds etc--cumin, celery, mustard, fenugreek

middle left sweet whole spices--cardamom, mace, nutmegs, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cubebs

middle right ground chilies and a few other bulky things

far right misc savory things like asafoetida, long peppers, szechuan pepper

These are my essential spices and herbs. This was an impossible list to edit! There are so many flavors to savor!

In addition to the requisite course sea salt and black/green/pink pepper corns, mixed blend...

Fresh in season, then dried whole leaves for use in winter:

1. Thyme

2. Oregano

3. Basil

4. Rosemary

5. Tarragon

6. Sage

Plus...

7. Fresh cilantro in season

8. Fennel seeds

9. Cumin seeds and powder

10. Smoked Paprika

11. Cinnamon

12. Red Pepper Flakes

Honorable mention...

13. Szechuan Peppercorns

I also use a lot of lemon and other citrus juice and zests and vinegars to brighten flavors.

Black-eyed peas and golden hush-puppies slathered with butter....

No one favorite....

These are all in the cabinet above the stove--not the coolest spot in the kitchen, but in my house without a/c, there is no cool dry place besides the refrigerator, grouped by how I use them and how many fit into each basket:

gallery_16931_6727_6368.jpg

top left basket is larger volume spices, e.g., ground cinnamon, black peppercorns, bay leaves

next are the smaller volume powdered mostly sweet spices e.g., ginger, cardamom, coriander, cloves

middle right dried herbs, eg, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, savory

top right extracts & food colors

Bottom left savory seeds etc--cumin, celery, mustard, fenugreek

middle left sweet whole spices--cardamom, mace, nutmegs, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cubebs

middle right ground chilies and a few other bulky things

far right misc savory things like asafoetida, long peppers, szechuan pepper

Very nice. If my cupboard weren't such a mess I would post of photo of it. The one my DH inserted in between the wall studs.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

These are my essential spices and herbs.  This was an impossible list to edit!  There are so many flavors to savor!

In addition to the requisite course sea salt and black/green/pink pepper corns, mixed blend...

Fresh in season, then dried whole leaves for use in winter:

1.  Thyme

2.  Oregano

3.  Basil

4.  Rosemary

5.  Tarragon

6.  Sage

Plus...

7.  Fresh cilantro in season

8.  Fennel seeds

9.  Cumin seeds and powder

10. Smoked Paprika

11. Cinnamon

12. Red Pepper Flakes

Honorable mention...

13. Szechuan Peppercorns

I also use a lot of lemon and other citrus juice and zests and vinegars to brighten flavors.

I forgot Szechwan peppercorns on my list. You can't make Orange-Szechwan Pepper ice cream without 'em. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.