• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Fish Cakes and Maine-grown Beans

National Public Radio aired a short piece this morning on how top restaurants are handling recession-weary customers, featuring Portland's own Sam Hayward.

Chef Sam Hayward of Fore Street Restaurant in Portland, Maine, was a James Beard award winner for outstanding chef in 2004. To draw in diners in a tough economy, Hayward makes fish cakes and beans that are about half the cost of fancier items on his menu.

Instead of Cod he uses haddock, poached, then folded into a russet potato and egg emulsion. Locally grown beans (The Beanery - Exeter, Maine - are available at Jordan's Farm, Cape Elizabeth) are simmered in caramelized onions.

Story - Podcast - Recipes / NPR.org

The recipes are quite comprehensive. I am definitely doing this this week.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Wow...those look really yummy! Thanks for pointing out the article johnnyd -- those fish cakes are on the menu for this weekend, especially since it looks like the whether is finally going to cool off a little bit.

Hope I don't have to go all the way to Arlington to get Aleppo pepper...