• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Urban pigeon -- safe to eat?

ScoopKW

Re: earlier concerns about pigeons carrying Chlamydia.

There are different species of Chlamydia. The Chlamydia that causes sexually transmitted diseases and eye infections is Chlamydia trachomatis - this is not the same as the Chlamydia which infects pigeons (and many other birds, e.g. parrots, parakeets, etc) is Chlamydia psittaci.

C. psittaci can be carried by these birds as a commensal or it may cause an infection. When a bird is infected, it may be tired, skinny, listless, and refuse to fly. Transmission to humans can be either via ingestion or inhalation. Common methods of ingestion include kissing these birds, handling the feathers or droppings and then handling food without washing your hands. Inhalation of C. psittaci may occur when you inhale powdered bird droppings, in some cases mowing a lawn full of bird droppings may produce a cloud of C. psittaci which you may inhale.

Human infection by C. psittaci causes psittacosis, commonly known as parrot fever. The most common manifestation is pneumonia, but it can also infect the heart, liver, and brain. Severe cases might result in death, but this is uncommon. Fortunately psittacosis is easily treated with antibiotics.

In birds, C. psittaci may be found in the intestinal tract or lungs, or anything contaminated by bird droppings (i.e. all the surfaces). The meat itself should be sterile.

Take home message: it is safe to eat these pigeons provided appropriate precautions are taken. Thoroughly wash everything, avoid cross-contamination, and make sure the birds are exposed to enough heat to pasteurize it. Remember, pasteurization is a function of both heat and time.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Pigeon is served all over the place in China. On my last month-long trip, I think we had more pigeon than chicken. I'm hoping those were farmed, but knowing China, I wouldn't doubt that some were urban and shot.

Pigeon isn't as common as you suggest. Presumably you were eating in hotel restaurants (Cantonese style). I rarely see pigeons anywhere else. Sadly, because I love 'em. So, when I do see them in the markets I buy them.

They aren't urban pigeons. They are farmed wood pigeons. In fact, I very seldom see pigeons in Chinese cities. Almost never.

The story about Beijing having imported them sounds to me like total nonsense.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The meat itself should be sterile.

Lest I be accused of causing food poisoning, I need to insert a warning - if a bird is suffering from septicemia then the meat likely won't be sterile. In such a case you should discard the bird. Or you could try to cure the bird with a tetracycline before eating it :)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw