• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermomix collection

schneich

Anybody out there in Massachusetts? It appears there is a thermomix available there - but since it's on Craigslist I suspect you would have to be able to pick it up.

man, sorry I missed this one!

Yeah, and it's gone - she e-mailed me back to say someone had bought it.

Valuable lesson number 1 - RTFM - if you fail to RTFM you will not have discovered that the maximum capacity of the TM31 is 2 litres. Therefore you will take your standard dulce de leche recipe and break it in half and add 3 litres of milk plus 400 grams of sugar to the bowl. This - in combination with following the directions mentioned above - which has you use varoma heat (>100º C) and speed 5 - will result in a Mount Vesuvius like reaction . Not a good look for my counter. And of course I didn't know which buttons to bang first to turn it off.

But after splitting my remaining rescued batch (ie that which wasn't on the counter or the floor) and cooking for about 90 minutes or so at 100º C gave me a wonderful DDL quite painlessly.

I'm questioning whether I'll be able to use the Thermomix to make chewy caramel. I'm going to have to figure out the size of my batch. It's also going to require finding a way to insert a thermometer into the batch without hitting the blades.

Ta - the recipe from the Forum is s follows:

Dulce de Leche

1 litre milk

130g sugar

120g brown sugar

200g cream

1/2 teaspoon bicarb

Place all in THX and program 50 mins, Temp Varoma Speed 5. Place basket on lid to allow it to evaporate without spitting.

When finished, quickly pour into jar and leave it to cool. When it cools it will be nice and thick. Keep in the fridge.

Can be used on cakes or as filling, or on pancakes.

..is that the recipe? Sorry if I have made a mess of your house.

It doesn't do caramel at all. Even using fructose or glucose with lower melting points. I have tried - just doesn't get hot enough.

Edited by Thermomixer (log)

I'm questioning whether I'll be able to use the Thermomix to make chewy caramel. I'm going to have to figure out the size of my batch. It's also going to require finding a way to insert a thermometer into the batch without hitting the blades.

Well it didn't take me long to figure out what RTFM means... :biggrin:

I'm a true manual reader. Have to read it twice before I touch anything - and for the Thermomix I watched videos first too. But Kerry, I'm sure your lesson will have far more lasting effects. I'll tend to forget - I don't think you will!

I've been experimenting with a ginger custard recipe the last while. Can't quite get the consistency I want. Hey Thermomixer - I adapted your Creme Brulee recipe that I found online for my last batch. It was very thin when I poured it into the custard cups. I did 30 minutes in the varoma at 100C as per your instructions and it was still very liquidy. I poured it all back in the base and put it to 80C for 7 minutes at speed 4 and it thickened up - but still not as much as I would like. I wonder if the ginger is doing something to the cream. I did a cold infusion of not quite 1/4 grated ginger in the cream overnight and then strained. The flavour and smoothness is awesome - just not quite what I'm after.

Kerry - chewy caramel in the Thermomix?!!!!!!!!!!!! I still haven't ventured to make anything more than caramel sauce. I'll have to read the caramel posts. What has me stumped isn't making it, it's what I do with it once it's made. What do I pour it on? Can I use a ganache frame, how the heck do I cut it? Blah, blah, blah... I'll do my reading and see what answers I can find.

Please keep us updated on any caramel making you do in the Thermomix. And for goodness sake - don't let it blast all over you! Ouch!

. . .

Kerry - chewy caramel in the Thermomix?!!!!!!!!!!!! I still haven't ventured to make anything more than caramel sauce. I'll have to read the caramel posts. What has me stumped isn't making it, it's what I do with it once it's made. What do I pour it on? Can I use a ganache frame, how the heck do I cut it? Blah, blah, blah... I'll do my reading and see what answers I can find.

Please keep us updated on any caramel making you do in the Thermomix. And for goodness sake - don't let it blast all over you! Ouch!

Check out this post by JAZ.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ta - the recipe from the Forum is s follows:

Dulce de Leche

1 litre milk

130g sugar

120g brown sugar

200g cream

1/2 teaspoon bicarb

Place all in THX and program 50 mins, Temp Varoma Speed 5. Place basket on lid to allow it to evaporate without spitting.

When finished, quickly pour into jar and leave it to cool. When it cools it will be nice and thick. Keep in the fridge.

Can be used on cakes or as filling, or on pancakes.

..is that the recipe? Sorry if I have made a mess of your house.

It doesn't do caramel at all. Even using fructose or glucose with lower melting points. I have tried - just doesn't get hot enough.

Since any recipe for DDL that I have doesn't call for brown sugar - I was determined to use the recipe that I currently use - only thing I didn't have was the instructions (ie 50 minutes, Temp Varoma, Speed 5)- so I used 1/2 of my current DDL recipe - which is 3 litres of milk, 800 grams of sugar, 1 vanilla pod and 1/2 tsp of bicarb. If i'd never gone above 100º C it probably wouldn't have boiled over - it was the combination of a volume close to 2 litres with the heat that did it.

Re the caramel - I don't want to use it to caramelize sugar - but instead to make chewy caramels - which is somewhat similar to the DDL - it relies on the maillard reaction to get the browning, not on browning the sugar. I suspect the TMX might work for that - but again the boiling over problem will be the issue. If you are interested in seeing the recipe for the caramel - head to the eG Confectionery course.

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream is very easy in the thermomix. I ground the sugar with the strips of rind at turbo speed, then added eggs and juice, turned on at speed 2 and temperature 80º. Once the mixture thickened, I turned it up to 90 for a minute or so, then turned off the heat. Once the lights indicated it had cooled to 60 degrees I added the butter through the top with the speed at about 7. I was careful to put the measuring cup back in quickly after each addition. 5 minutes of beating at speed 7 and it was done.

I wanted to make a bernaise sauce in the Thermomix to go with the steak I'm cooking tonight - but I've got no white wine, no shallots (too long in a plastic bag = rotten), no white wine vinegar. I do have tarragon - but that doesn't help me with the other missing items.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I've been experimenting with a ginger custard recipe the last while. Can't quite get the consistency I want. Hey Thermomixer - I adapted your Creme Brulee recipe that I found online for my last batch. It was very thin when I poured it into the custard cups. I did 30 minutes in the varoma at 100C as per your instructions and it was still very liquidy. I poured it all back in the base and put it to 80C for 7 minutes at speed 4 and it thickened up - but still not as much as I would like. I wonder if the ginger is doing something to the cream. I did a cold infusion of not quite 1/4 grated ginger in the cream overnight and then strained. The flavour and smoothness is awesome - just not quite what I'm after.

Sorry, the recipe was fairly soft and needed to be cooled and refrigerated to solidify before putting the sugar on to brulee.

If it was the 6 egg yolks and 300g cream it should have worked? Ginger shouldn't have been a problem.

Just noticed the creme caramel recipe said 2 eggs (60g) - which should have read 2 eggs (60g eggs) or 2 x 60g eggs - was that the one?

Custards have been abit of a problem in the TMX - you really want 82oC - but it is 80 - not quite enough or 90o - scrambled if you don't watch it.

There a cream Catalan recipes that have flour and are firmer on the forum.

But I love the sound of the ginger custard.

There is a chef who is a TMX consultant in Tasmania who may be able to help. Will PM you.

Re the caramel - I don't want to use it to caramelize sugar - but instead to make chewy caramels - which is somewhat similar to the DDL - it relies on the maillard reaction to get the browning, not on browning the sugar. I suspect the TMX might work for that - but again the boiling over problem will be the issue. If you are interested in seeing the recipe for the caramel - head to the eG Confectionery course.

Ta, very muchly - checked out your 101 - need to study it more when I have time, but basically, from what I have found .... various people have told me different temperatures that the TMX will reach on Varoma temp. But, when I put peanut oil in and had it on Varoma for 15 mins the temp on my Blue gizmo didn't get to 120oC. So it is not likely to hit the 145oC :unsure::sad:

There are recipes from Italy for torrone (nougat) - but some cook the mix for three hours to thicken it. .... and it is only a small amount :unsure: May need to stick with tradition for those?

Sorry, I am willing to try, but don't like the chances of success.

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream is very easy in the thermomix. I ground the sugar with the strips of rind at turbo speed, then added eggs and juice, turned on at speed 2 and temperature 80º. Once the mixture thickened, I turned it up to 90 for a minute or so, then turned off the heat. Once the lights indicated it had cooled to 60 degrees I added the butter through the top with the speed at about 7. I was careful to put the measuring cup back in quickly after each addition. 5 minutes of beating at speed 7 and it was done.

Great work - did the result have little gritty bits of rind? I generally prefer to use the microplane for zest, although the consultants try to convince me that it is an acceptable result. Were they whole eggs or just yolks?

Very much appreciate the ability to learn from professionals - hopefully more TMXs will make it to US/Canada soon.

Sorry, the recipe was fairly soft and needed to be cooled and refrigerated to solidify before putting the sugar on to brulee.

If it was the 6 egg yolks and 300g cream it should have worked? Ginger shouldn't have been a problem.

Just noticed the creme caramel recipe said 2 eggs (60g) - which should have read 2 eggs (60g eggs) or 2 x 60g eggs - was that the one?

Hi Thermomixer,

I used the 6 egg yolk recipe with 300g. cream. But like I said I adapted it and actually used 5 egg yolks and 1 whole egg. I also used more cream than what was called for. The reason for these changes is because I didn't want it quite as thick as a creme brulee (fussy aren't I?!). Now that I know it's a soft creme brulee recipe I'll try it as you've written it and see how it goes. Yes, you must try the ginger version. It's sooooo tasty.

I wanted to make a bernaise sauce in the Thermomix to go with the steak I'm cooking tonight - but I've got no white wine, no shallots (too long in a plastic bag = rotten), no white wine vinegar. I do have tarragon - but that doesn't help me with the other missing items.

Even harder to make the silk purse when you don't even have the pig's ear :wink:

A recipe for bearnaise from a lad in Pennsylvania (? I think) Warren's bearnaise in TMX

Good luck - that is an area that the TMX does well.

Check out this post by JAZ.

Thanks for the link Anna. I've read about the silicone molds on another forum but didn't pay too much attention as I'm not a caramel maker (yet!). It's a great idea isn't it? I'm imagining it's a pain in the butt to cut caramel????

Thanks for the point to the Confectionery Course Kerry. I will most definitely be spending some time there.

Ta, very muchly - checked out your 101 - need to study it more when I have time, but basically, from what I have found .... various people have told me different temperatures that the TMX will reach on Varoma temp. But, when I put peanut oil in and had it on Varoma for 15 mins the temp on my Blue gizmo didn't get to 120oC. So it is not likely to hit the 145oC :unsure::sad:

There are recipes from Italy for torrone (nougat) - but some cook the mix for three hours to thicken it. .... and it is only a small amount :unsure: May need to stick with tradition for those?

Sorry, I am willing to try, but don't like the chances of success.

My thought is this - the pain in the ass with caramel is standing around and stirring. So I'd probably make it on the stove top up to the point where I've added the cream, then into the TMX for the remaining part where it needs to get to 121º C.

Great work - did the result have little gritty bits of rind? I generally prefer to use the microplane for zest, although the consultants try to convince me that it is an acceptable result. Were they whole eggs or just yolks?

Very much appreciate the ability to learn from professionals - hopefully more TMXs will make it to US/Canada soon.

His recipe calls for straining - did that once - never again - too lazy. There are some very fine bits of rind detectable, but they don't detract in any way from the creme.

This afternoon I think I'll try Pichet Ong's choux paste and lighten up the lemon cream with a bit of whipped cream to stuff the puffs. Might do the same with some of the DDL.

The TMX is the perfect tool for choux paste. Boil together the milk, water, salt and a bit of dulce de leche or condensed milk - add in the flour and cook until it starts to dry out. Take the bowl off and let it cool a bit - then add the eggs and yolk one at a time until you get a nice paste that takes about 5 to 7 seconds to drip off your spoon.

Now if I could just get better at piping the suckers.

Worked well for mixing up the dough for Artisan Rye from Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day.

Not so good for fudge (this was my pre caramel experiment). The better part of an hour of boiling on Varoma temp only got it up to about 110º C. Needed 112 ºC. Cooled it down to 43 (took more than an hour - finally put the pot in cold water) and my attempts to beat it until it crystallizes are not going well. The beating heats it up significantly and I think that's preventing crystallization.

I think Thermomixer is correct - I'm not going to be able to get caramel up to 121º C. Darn - seemed like the perfect lazy man's tool for stirring the caramel.

The fudge mixture was sitting in the TMX at about 60 degrees after beating for more than 5 minutes and not starting to crystallize. I went back to it, turned it on and it very quickly started to thicken - so I added the nuts and poured it into the prepared pan while it was still somewhat liquid. Looks like it will set up ok, but I'll know better in the am.

Tooth achingly sweet of course - but I'm sure they will make quick work of it at work.

Making a batch of 65º C water roux buns in the thermomix this evening. Easy to cook the roux by putting the small amount of flour and water in and cooking at 70º C until it thickened up. Added the remaining ingredients, kneaded for a couple of minutes then turned out to rise. I didn't have any bread flour - so used all all-purpose, so it might not be exactly right - but we'll see how it works out.

The TMX is the perfect tool for choux paste. ...

Now if I could just get better at piping the suckers.

It really is great for choux/gougeres - but yes, piping into perfect even sized eclairs or profiteroles.... I am always amazed at professionals in the dessert section of restaurants, they make it look so easy.

3888001513_ca6edd5b87.jpg

3888001733_0dfe6277df.jpg

IceCream+1.JPG

The fudge mixture was sitting in the TMX ....... while it was still somewhat liquid. Looks like it will set up ok, but I'll know better in the am.

Tooth achingly sweet of course - but I'm sure they will make quick work of it at work.

How did it go? Did it thicken/harden enough ?

Making a batch of 65º C water roux buns in the thermomix this evening. Easy to cook the roux by putting the small amount of flour and water in and cooking at 70º C until it thickened up. .....

Hopefully the next version will allow you to dial up more accurate temperatures - so eggs at 62o, custard at 82o

The fudge mixture was sitting in the TMX ....... while it was still somewhat liquid. Looks like it will set up ok, but I'll know better in the am.

How did it go? Did it thicken/harden enough ?

Making a batch of 65º C water roux buns in the thermomix this evening. Easy to cook the roux by putting the small amount of flour and water in and cooking at 70º C until it thickened up. .....

Hopefully the next version will allow you to dial up more accurate temperatures - so eggs at 62o, custard at 82o

The fudge turned out perfectly - it's all gone to work and friends except one slice - not sure what I'll do with that one.

Next version you say?