• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermomix collection

schneich

Picked up a liter of full fat goats milk a few days back, made a dulce de leche with it yesterday in the TMX. Nice deep brown, really thick after a night in the fridge.

Today I made a batch of ganache in the TMX with it - popped the cream, DDL and chocolate callets in the unit, temp 50, speed 3, 3 minutes. Then added room temperature butter and vanilla and turned it up to 10 for about 30 seconds. Pretty thick, so I turned the heat back up to 50 for about 15 seconds, the whole thing loosened up and emulsified perfectly. Took longer to get it into the pastry bag than to make it.

I ordered the TM31 this morning as they are offering free shipping to the US until the 15th so I figured I might as well take advantage of it.

Now I just have to sit on the edge of my chair until it arrives....... :biggrin:

I think my first try will be with my dulce de leche recipe - from my neighbor, as the amount (1-quart) should not be a problem in the machine.

I really HATE this new format. I had such difficulty getting to my recipe in what seems to be a pale imitation of recipe gullet and wish there was some way to at least get that back the way it was.

Doing a search for Dulce De Leche kept taking me to the discussion forum. Finally, after several tries I got to the recipe. This is an annoying waste of time.

I would like to be able to pull up a list of the recipes I have posted, as in the previous format, but apparently there is either some trick to it that I have yet to discover, or it doesn't exist in any workable process.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

andiesenji, from where did you end up ordering yours?

(And I've been fussing to myself about the new 'features' ever since the change.)

I did finally, after more than 20 minutes of fiddling, figure out how to get a list of my posted recipes.

Still haven't figured out how to pull up the list of topics to which I have subscribed.

I ordered the TMX from this site: http://thermomixbimby.com/where-to-buy-thermomix

They are in Canada and are offering free shipping for the next couple of days.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Today I have a couple of projects going and decided to try this TMX recipe for marzipan, since I use so much of it.

http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=69

It took me longer to measure out the stuff than it took to mix and knead it and I must say that it is as close to perfect as I have ever made. Total time 23 minutes to measure everything process, empty and clean the bowl.

And it was effortless, except for getting the stuff out of the bowl.

Now I can make one of these small batches fresh as I need it and not have to knead and wrestle a huge mass that my regular recipe makes and which takes me most of a day to do.

Now that I know how this came out, I want to see if it will process my poppy-seed pastry filling that is also time-consuming and messy.

Clean up was super easy - just fill bowl with hot water and a drop of Dawn detergent and run it on turbo for 10 seconds or so, then pour that out and rinse with hot water. Wow!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Today I have a couple of projects going and decided to try this TMX recipe for marzipan, since I use so much of it.

How close is this recipe to the one you usually use for marzipan?

To get stuff out of the bowl - I usually remove the bottom, then turn the whole thing upside down, letting the blade fall out. Quick scrape of the blade, and spatula out the rest of the bowl. I use the same technique to get dough out of a food processor.

How close is this recipe to the one you usually use for marzipan?

To get stuff out of the bowl - I usually remove the bottom, then turn the whole thing upside down, letting the blade fall out. Quick scrape of the blade, and spatula out the rest of the bowl. I use the same technique to get dough out of a food processor.

That's what I did. Took longer to get the bottom off the bowl and scrape it out than it did to process the batch.

I love it!!

The texture and flavor of this batch is as good as any I have made and even throughout - no little clumps of not-quite-fine granules of almond.

My regular batch makes close to 3 pounds of marzipan and is labor-intensive- very...

Edited by andiesenji (log)

• 3 months later...

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream is very easy in the thermomix. I ground the sugar with the strips of rind at turbo speed, then added eggs and juice, turned on at speed 2 and temperature 80º. Once the mixture thickened, I turned it up to 90 for a minute or so, then turned off the heat. Once the lights indicated it had cooled to 60 degrees I added the butter through the top with the speed at about 7. I was careful to put the measuring cup back in quickly after each addition. 5 minutes of beating at speed 7 and it was done.

HI, Kerry - can you share the amounts for this recipe? I, too, am a thermomix owner, and would love the entire recipe.

Thanks,

Valerie

Make it Happen

Valerie: A Canadian Foodie

Email me

http://www.acanadianfoodie.com

I love my Thermomix!

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream is very easy in the thermomix. I ground the sugar with the strips of rind at turbo speed, then added eggs and juice, turned on at speed 2 and temperature 80º. Once the mixture thickened, I turned it up to 90 for a minute or so, then turned off the heat. Once the lights indicated it had cooled to 60 degrees I added the butter through the top with the speed at about 7. I was careful to put the measuring cup back in quickly after each addition. 5 minutes of beating at speed 7 and it was done.

HI, Kerry - can you share the amounts for this recipe? I, too, am a thermomix owner, and would love the entire recipe.

Thanks,

Valerie

Sorry - missed this post yesterday. Let me see if I can get the recipe from macgourmet.

Lemon Cream

1 cup sugar

zest of 3 lemons

4 large eggs

¾ cup lemon juice

300 grams soft butter (use unsalted)

Every time I make marzipan in my Thermomix, it seems to get too hard once it cools... suggestions?

I haven't had that problem but I don't put the heat up very high. I do remove the marzipan from the container and knead it on my marble slab until it "feels" right and can be easily shaped but holds its shape - my test is to simply form a walnut-sized clump into a cone and roll it around until the cone tip is fairly sharp then set it on its bottom. If the tip doesn't deform, it is the correct consistency.

Years ago my teacher would pinch some into a petal shape with a curve and if that shape held, that was her test.

My fingers are no as adept so my petals are not so pretty so - - - -

Lemon Cream

1 cup sugar

zest of 3 lemons

4 large eggs

¾ cup lemon juice

300 grams soft butter (use unsalted)

Thank you so much!

Valerie

Edited by heidih
Fixed quote tags (log)

Make it Happen

Valerie: A Canadian Foodie