• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermomix collection

schneich

Kerry,

thanks for the useful info. Seems the thermomix can do many things. The main thing I'm interested in it for is how it makes ganache. Let us know when you try it out in that manner.

thanks

Luis

Funny - I was just looking at it a minute ago and thinking that's the next thing I need to try. But I'm on call today and likely to get called out, the bowl is wet, so it may need to wait a day or so. I'm thinking a second bowl would be really helpful, but a bit dear when I priced it. And I don't see extra bowls on e-bay.

Well, no calls into the hospital so I decided to try a ganache.

Valuable lesson number one - chunks of ginger and heavy cream at turbo speed doesn't give you a ginger infused cream, it gives you chunky ginger whipped cream.

I took my cold infused ginger cream, added a couple of drops of lime oil, oops - forgot to add the glucose, juice of a lime, and my white chocolate. After 2 minutes at 50 degrees on speed 3 most of the chocolate was melted, so turned it to 37 degrees for another 30 seconds or so. I added cold butter and some of the nocino that I had made, turned it to speed 7 for about 30 seconds.

Looks pretty perfect and is about at the correct temperature to pipe into molds.

Next - tempering - probably tomorrow when I can assure myself the bowl is dry.

Kerry,

thanks for the useful info. Seems the thermomix can do many things. The main thing I'm interested in it for is how it makes ganache. Let us know when you try it out in that manner.

thanks

Luis

The Thermomix certainly makes ganache. There is a recipe in the Australian cookbook and I have posted a link before - Callebaut Ganache Making videoand other Thermomix uses with chocolate, and now that I've looked and see you are in California !!! :blush::blush: but there are schools demonstrating the Thermomix in the UK Coghlans Thermomix class

Edited by Thermomixer (log)

So at 6:30 tonight I decided to start tempering chocolate. By 6:50 it was all over but the cleanup. I tempered 400 grams and used it to back off one plate and make two small solid molds of halloween bats, skulls, ghosts and pumpkins.

Took about 4 1/2 minutes at 50º, poured it out into the bowl and let it finish melting out the remaining crystals. Checked temper, it was perfect. There were still a couple of chunks that next trip I'll be sure to remove and melt separately.

Not crazy about the flavour of the ganache I made yesterday though - I know they'll snarf them all down at work without noticing - but I don't care for it.

I can see this would have a place for some quick and dirty tempering when required.

Thanks for the video links Thermomixer. I watched the 2 on making ganache. On the cream ganache he just heated the cream and poured it over callets and mixed by hand??? I wonder why he didn't do it all in the Thermomix? On the butter ganache (rhum truffles) he creamed the butter and honey and then added melted/tempered chocolate and mixed again. Again, I wonder why he didn't do it all in the Thermomix?

For the cream ganache I understand how to do it all in the thermomix - for the butter ganache I guess you'd have to do the first step (creaming butter and honey) and then remove that and then use the thermomix to temper your chocolate. And then add back the butter/honey and proceed from there. Anyone have a better idea for proceeding with the butter ganache?

Thanks for the video links Thermomixer. I watched the 2 on making ganache. On the cream ganache he just heated the cream and poured it over callets and mixed by hand??? I wonder why he didn't do it all in the Thermomix? On the butter ganache (rhum truffles) he creamed the butter and honey and then added melted/tempered chocolate and mixed again. Again, I wonder why he didn't do it all in the Thermomix?

For the cream ganache I understand how to do it all in the thermomix - for the butter ganache I guess you'd have to do the first step (creaming butter and honey) and then remove that and then use the thermomix to temper your chocolate. And then add back the butter/honey and proceed from there. Anyone have a better idea for proceeding with the butter ganache?

I'm thinking the same thing - you'd need tempered cooled chocolate for a butter ganache.

kerry,

thanks for taking the time to do ganache. Did you not like the ganache because of the recipe or because of the thermomix?

thanks

Luis

It's the flavouring I chose. It set up beautifully, texture is perfect - just not a good combination of flavours. But like I said - they'll eat them - and tell me they love them!

Kerry,

What are the Thermomixes running these days?

Thanks in advance!PS: That Valrhona catalog is beautiful!

Thanks to above for that info!!!

I think they around $1800 Cdn. Got mine used though.

I'm going to need a little more practice whipping eggwhites in the TMX. Research leads me to believe that 2 minutes at speed 4 and 37 or 50 degrees should do the trick. I was making meringue for macarons - drizzled in my hot syrup, but don't think the whites were quite at the right stage when I started. Didn't get the 'bird beaks"

Cheese biscuits this am. The TMX on turbo made quick work of the cheese and butter. I split the dry ingredients, buzzed the cheese into half and the butter into the other half, then combined the two. I still worked in the liquid ingredients by hand.

I'm going to need a little more practice whipping eggwhites in the TMX. Research leads me to believe that 2 minutes at speed 4 and 37 or 50 degrees should do the trick. I was making meringue for macarons - drizzled in my hot syrup, but don't think the whites were quite at the right stage when I started. Didn't get the 'bird beaks"

Afraid that they really don't do as well and may be due to the small opening in the lid to allow air in? (according to some). I use my Kitchen Aid for meringue/Italian meringue still - mcuh greater volume that you can get in too.

It may be just practice, but I don't use meringue very much, so just gave up after a couple of goes.

The Italians appear to have done it - Italian Meringue - you can use Google translator to translate the text. But basically as you have suggested.

An interesting variation with butter?

Good luck

Cheese biscuits this am. The TMX on turbo made quick work of the cheese and butter. I split the dry ingredients, buzzed the cheese into half and the butter into the other half, then combined the two. I still worked in the liquid ingredients by hand.

The Thermomix will make short work of the mixing - you can use the Interval setting (ear of wheatr symbol) to knead it.

A couple of recipes Cheese biscuits, Cheddar shortbreads and crackers from the recipe developer for Thermomix Australia

Ground some wheat in the TMX last night, did the boiled flour and water thing, added some extra AP flour, yeast, milk and a bit of butter. A little water to make a nice bread dough. Kneading was quick work with the TMX. It does such a lovely job.

Baked it this am after retarding in the fridge overnight.

I'll be interested to see the crumb with the water roux method.

Italian meringue - I think I'll also stick to the Kitchen Aid. Not a success in the TMX even using the latest recipe. I'm going to try to use what I made into a pavlova - not sure if it's too liquid.

Italian meringue - I think I'll also stick to the Kitchen Aid. Not a success in the TMX even using the latest recipe. I'm going to try to use what I made into a pavlova - not sure if it's too liquid.

Love my Thermomix - but meringue is done in the KA - the consultants say you can get rid of the other kitchen equipment and I always tell people "DON'T DO IT !".

So I still use the stick blender and KA for lots of things, including using the pasta roller attachment and meat grinder (TMX doesn't do as well with mincing for sausages), sausage stuffer. Magimix(Robot Coupe) for slicing/grating large amounts of veg.

Found this today which looks similar to the thermomix

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en/CookingChef/Home/

From kenwood, maker of stereo speakers (!)

also some recipes which may be relevant, depending on if they are the same thing

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en/CookingChef/Home/Cooking-Chef-recipes1/

cut and paste from webite

Create more...The new Kenwood Cooking Chef is the first appliance to fully combine food preparation and Induction cooking. This total food preparation concept will revolutionise the way you prepare - and cook - food.

The new Kenwood Cooking chef has taken the well-known versatility of the CHEF a step further by introducing integrated Induction Cooking directly in the mixing bowl. Take a look at the key features and benefits of your new assistant in the kitchen.

Powerful 1500W Planetary Mixing.

1100W Induction cooking system cooks directly in the mixing bowl.

Large 6.7L bowl capacity with 3L cooking and mixing capacity - large capacity is perfect for families and entertaining.

20°C to 140°C temperature setting - accurate variable control for gentle warming to real cooking function. For proving dough to tempering chocolate, to making fudge.

Continuous cooking and mixing function - a controlled stir or mix can be selected whilst cooking freeing time.

Induction heating element - a safe, energy efficient and very controllable heat provides trust and great results.

Display - Timer ranging from 5 seconds to 3 hours counting down or up - and temperature setting.

New and unique bowl tools for mixing and cooking.

8 mixing speeds. Variable speed control - with slow speed stirring and a new intermittent stirring. keeping the consistency in your food without breaking it down.

Food processor attachment included - with robust stainless steel chopping, slicing and shredding blades. Stainles steel blender attachment - included in pack with 1.5L high capacity is perfect for blending soups, purees or crushing ice.

Safety interlocks on bowl, splashguard, head lift, outlet covers and heating function - for confident and intuitive operation.

Steam basket - Fits on top of the bowl and can be used in the same way as a conventional steamer for vegetables, chicken, seafood and desserts.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

Found this today which looks similar to the thermomix

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en/CookingChef/Home/

From kenwood, maker of stereo speakers (!)

also some recipes which may be relevant, depending on if they are the same thing

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en/CookingChef/Home/Cooking-Chef-recipes1/

cut and paste from webite

Create more...The new Kenwood Cooking Chef is the first appliance to fully combine food preparation and Induction cooking. This total food preparation concept will revolutionise the way you prepare - and cook - food.

The new Kenwood Cooking chef has taken the well-known versatility of the CHEF a step further by introducing integrated Induction Cooking directly in the mixing bowl. Take a look at the key features and benefits of your new assistant in the kitchen.

Powerful 1500W Planetary Mixing.

1100W Induction cooking system cooks directly in the mixing bowl.

Large 6.7L bowl capacity with 3L cooking and mixing capacity - large capacity is perfect for families and entertaining.

20°C to 140°C temperature setting - accurate variable control for gentle warming to real cooking function. For proving dough to tempering chocolate, to making fudge.

Continuous cooking and mixing function - a controlled stir or mix can be selected whilst cooking freeing time.

Induction heating element - a safe, energy efficient and very controllable heat provides trust and great results.

Display - Timer ranging from 5 seconds to 3 hours counting down or up - and temperature setting.

New and unique bowl tools for mixing and cooking.

8 mixing speeds. Variable speed control - with slow speed stirring and a new intermittent stirring. keeping the consistency in your food without breaking it down.

Food processor attachment included - with robust stainless steel chopping, slicing and shredding blades. Stainles steel blender attachment - included in pack with 1.5L high capacity is perfect for blending soups, purees or crushing ice.

Safety interlocks on bowl, splashguard, head lift, outlet covers and heating function - for confident and intuitive operation.

Steam basket - Fits on top of the bowl and can be used in the same way as a conventional steamer for vegetables, chicken, seafood and desserts.

Interesting - but kind of like the difference between a kitchen aid with heat and a blender with heat. I think both would be necessary to cover all functions.

Hi

If you limit your thermomix to making pastry and ganache you will miss 90% of its value. Great for soups, risotto and a myriad of other things. The only thing I don't like abut it is the racket when it runs at max rev's

It is a noisy little sucker at 10,000 RPM. Fortunately it does it's work in a short time at that range.

I've been using it for all sorts of things - risotto is the bomb for sure. I haven't tried it yet for a soup - but it's back at Anna's place for a couple of weeks, so it will get it's soup and bread workout I'll bet.

Only reason that most of the discussion on this thread is about pastry and ganache I suspect is because that was the premise of the thread. I've been trying to limit my discussion to those topics because this thread is in the Pastry and Baking forum. I think there is more discussion about what it will do do outside this area in the Cooking forum on this thread (well not that much actually).

• 2 weeks later...