• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermomix collection

schneich

Yes, I have certainly liberated the Thermomix from Kerry's renovation. I had hoped to have more time to play with it but life keeps getting in the way. I have made some bread doughs and am most impressed by the ease with which it mixes and kneads but the recipes I have found have not totally impressed me. My next experiment will be a risotto as soon as I can untangle myself from pressing personal issues. Before I give it back to Kerry I hope to try tempering chocolate and if that happens I will report here.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've made several ganache in the Thermomix now. It's a dream. I just put everything in, put it at 50C for 3 min. at speed 3. I often have to do an additional minute (I do this one at 37C) if the callets I'm using are large. I use cold ingredients (I do cold infusions) so these times/temps. would change with hot cream. I then put it at speed 7 for 30 sec. to emulsify. I've checked the temps. of my finished ganache and they are around the 92-93F mark.

As I said, I use cold infusions so it's great to not have to heat the cream separately. I also used to use tempered chocolate in my ganache. Having just Mol d'Art melters, it was a fairly long process to make a ganache including tempering time. Now it takes minutes! It's so fast and easy it's almost like an 'oh ya, I have to make ganache - I'll whip some up before lunch.'

Here's what I've noticed. The consistency seems denser. I used to make ganache by hand so maybe I'm getting less air incorporated. I also have an issue that I'll have to rectify... because the ganache is so nicely tempered, it is quite thick when I put in the frame. I'm getting small air pockets in the ganache and I notice them when I remove the acetate as well. I think I'll try processing a little longer/hotter to have the consistency a little thinner - yet keeping it in temper.

I've also done hazelnut paste in it. It does a very good job but I might like the VitaMix better for this task - seems to do the job faster.

Yesterday I was making clusters that used chocolate and hazelnut paste as a base (just to make it a little softer in texture). In the middle of spooning them out the mixture solidified on me. I just reprocessed in the thermomix on low speed so it wouldn't chew up my add-ins and voila, I'm in business again in minutes!

I think you'll like it :)

okay, I did it. I now own a Thermomix. Hubby will be a tab bit upset!!

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear about your adventures with your new best friend. I'll keep sharing here as I learn new tricks. Please feel free to do the same :) It's quite the machine...

There are 2 books that I received. One was the "Everyday Cooking" I don't remember the other and it is at the shop right now. Still haven't told the hubby!! Yesterday I made the herbed chicken balls and potato pancakes from the recipe book. I had it all done and in the oven and/or frying within 1/2 hour. Hubby said to me this morning that the supper must have been a lot of work. I just nodded in agreement!!!

I have been making the ganaches. Usually when I have something new I usually stare at it for a few weeks! I decided I need to get right on it and I used the machine Monday morning. I have been heating and mixing the chocolate on low and then added my hot cream but I think I will try mostlylana's method tomorrow. I am enjoying the machine.

He also gave us a Strawberry Sorbet recipe that he likes in the Thermomix.

100g. sugar

400g. frozen fruit

2 egg whites

1 tbsp. Fragoli

Unfortunately, I can't remember the specifics for processing.

The sorbet recipe is probably one of the simplest - put everything in and put on Speed 9 or 10 for 45 - 60 seconds.

Video link to an example

For those professional interested in Thermomix recipes then Madalene at The British Larder produces a lot of great recipes that will give you ideas.

She is very helpful with her advice.

ermintrude who posted earlier in this thread has also set up a forum for Thermomix recipes and has some that may interest.

There is an English forum that has amateur home cook recipes and some tips. I have been involved with that site.

Good luck to those starting out with their machines. I have only had one for about 2 years and love it - but I am a rank amateur.

Thermomixer in Australia

okay, I did it. I now own a Thermomix. Hubby will be a tab bit upset!!

Actually hubbies tend to love playing with them, :wink: - if you take it home you may find he does more cooking.

Thermomixer in Australia

Can't see that ever happening in my house!

Welcome thermomixer.

Help! I'd like to make Dulce de Leche in the Thermomix and let IT do all of the stirring.

One from an amateur's forum Dulce de Leche

It has been interpreted from a Spanish book and by all reports is good.

Thanks Thermomixer. I ended up doing a very similar recipe. I liked it. I finally had someone try it who is familiar with the flavour and she said it tastes authentic!

Help! I'd like to make Dulce de Leche in the Thermomix and let IT do all of the stirring.

One from an amateur's forum Dulce de Leche

It has been interpreted from a Spanish book and by all reports is good.

Thanks Thermomixer. I ended up doing a very similar recipe. I liked it. I finally had someone try it who is familiar with the flavour and she said it tastes authentic!

Lana - did yours include the brown sugar?

Yes it did. I think that's what gives it the caramelized flavour. I was shy on the baking soda as I didn't want it too dark. I only used 1/8 tsp. I think I would try 1/4 tsp. next time. Go to the first page of this thread, I posted the recipe I used on post 20.

Are you having fun with your Thermomix or are you still too busy with your new set up? I just moved and am setting up a fabulous chocolate space - well fabulous for me. :biggrin: I just got my Stainless steel tables this week. So fun!

Yes it did. I think that's what gives it the caramelized flavour. I was shy on the baking soda as I didn't want it too dark. I only used 1/8 tsp. I think I would try 1/4 tsp. next time. Go to the first page of this thread, I posted the recipe I used on post 20.

Are you having fun with your Thermomix or are you still too busy with your new set up? I just moved and am setting up a fabulous chocolate space - well fabulous for me. :biggrin: I just got my Stainless steel tables this week. So fun!

Heading up north tomorrow to work for two weeks - taking the thermomix along to play with (Anna insisted). Should give me a chance to try a few things. The other toy I'm taking along is a still - it's 220V so I probably won't be able to use it up there (I'll have to wait for hubby to rewire the plug), but I should be able to clean and polish it up.