• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermomix collection

schneich

hi,

i just got my FREE thermomix form the vorwerk area rep today LOL :-) now there are really lots and lots of recipes. i would like to start a thread which collects all cool professional pastry recipes possible. for example i read something about flavour osmosis with fresh herbs and maltodextrin...

i hope this thread will be busy ;-)

cheers

torsten

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

Would love to have one (I can think of many things I could use it for) but the price tag is just too large. Hopefully there are plenty of other owners out there who can post recipes to help me justify buying one

I'm pretty sure he's looking for recipes that involve the thermomix. Probably as a kickstart for his own ideas. At least that's what I usually do with a new piece of equipment or new ingredient. I see how others are using it to get a general grasp of what it's all about then move on to developing my own ideas. I want a thermomix but it's not at the front of my wish list so it'll be a while.

These may not be the sort of things you have in mind but...

...there's a recipe here from the Chadzilla blog for a tomato-olive oil flan that does everything except the molding in the thermomix...

...and here from Johnny Iuzzini's site is a recipe that uses the thermomix to make a molded rhubarb cheesecake base.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

More thermomix recipes here http://www.ukthermomix.com/recindex.php

I must say I would not be without mine, from getting home from work and throwing things into it to make a quick meal (Today did potatoes, butter poached lemon chicken and steamed veg). To doing high end recipes, even managed to do some sous vide dishes in it.

It does take a bit of a change of mind set to get the best out of, And because of the lack of English language recipes I would not recommend one to someone who does not know how to cook or is not prepared for the odd failure.

That said apart from my mandolin (it can't slice) I use it around 5 days a week. Could be just to make lemonade or a full on meal.

I know this is the pastry section so here's what I did to make a chocolate glaze, and now done this several times (can't edit my post on the forum)

In a saucepan put 250g of granulated sugar and 170ml of water and bring to the boil to make a colorless syrup and keep at a simmer.

In the Thermomix put 250g of chocolate broken up (70% cocoa solids) at the 37 degree setting and set the timer to something stupid like 45 minutes. When the chocolate is fully melted put it on speed 3 and very slowly (think mayonnaise) add the boiling sugar syrup.

While all this is going on keep an eye on the temperature - if it hit's 50 degrees put the speed up to 4 and leave it till the 50 light goes off.

Keep adding the sugar syrup till all incorporated all the time observing the above. Once things get going (you should be at speed 4 now) you can add the sugar syrup faster but the temperature is critical - if the 50 light goes on stop till it goes off.

When all the sugar syrup has been incorporated drop speed 1 (I did reverse as more of a churn action) and leave at 37 degrees for 2 to 3 minutes or more to become smooth then pour over your cake.

You get a smooth shiny easily cut very chocolate glaze that looks stunning - but try not to overwork it.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

just tried an anglaise from this valrhona recipe book (by the way the best collection of base recipes i know of, very reliable!). and i have to say it made a PERFECT anglaise hassle free in less then 8 minutes smooth as silk :-9

so far iam impressed....

cheers

t.

Edited by schneich (log)

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

Thank you Schneich for that wonderful collection of recipes from Valrhona. It's a great reference for sure.

I just got back from the Callebaut Academy in Montreal and Derrick Tu Tan Pho is quite please with the Thermomix. I was thrilled that we made several of the recipes using the Thermomix. He also showed us the icing sugar he makes in it. My pen couldn't keep up with all the tricks he was giving. To get back to the icing sugar he dries his vanilla pods to make vanilla sugar. He uses 1000g. sugar to 100g. powdered dry vanilla pods and processes it all in the Thermomix. Lovely stuff.

He also gave us a Strawberry Sorbet recipe that he likes in the Thermomix.

100g. sugar

400g. frozen fruit

2 egg whites

1 tbsp. Fragoli

Unfortunately, I can't remember the specifics for processing.

We also made an amazing lemon curd in the Thermomix. This was mixed with white chocolate to make a delicious lemon ganache.

Zest of 3 lemons

160g. lemon juice

160g. egg yolks (turned out to be 8 egg yolks)

100g. sugar

180g. soft butter

650g. Callebaut W2 white chocolate

Add everything except the chocolate to the Thermomix. 4 min. @ 90C - speed 3 then scrape. Then another 3 min. @ 90C. This is the lemon curd part - delicious on it's own.

When done, cool to 60C in fridge. Add chocolate. Process approx. 45 seconds speed 3, then another 45 seconds @ speed 7. This is the lemon ganache. Exquisite!

Generally speaking, these are his directions for making ganache in the Thermomix:

Put everything in the blender.

1) set at 50C

2) set at speed 2 (step 2 = speed 2)

3) set for 3 min. (step 3 = 3 minutes) *tips for remembering!!

4) turn off heat

5) speed 7 - emulsify for 30 - 45 seconds.

*These directions are for refrigerated ingredients. If you've done an infusion with the cream then no need to use heat.

Great topic Schneich. I will be getting one of these little gems soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm in. Got a used Thermomix TM31. Used all of 5 times according to the owner. He bought it because a pastry chef he hired insisted on it - then went elsewhere. Not sure if it's got all it's parts. I think the lid that goes on when you are steaming with all the holes in it is missing, so not sure what else is missing, but I suspect I can pick up spare parts on e-bay fairly easily.

It's still sitting in the trunk of the car - I'll haul it out once the rug rat is in bed.

Help! I'd like to make Dulce de Leche in the Thermomix and let IT do all of the stirring.

I googled the topic and just found recipes in Spanish. I was looking for recipes using fresh milk - not condensed milk. I used google translate to translate one - it's a little confusing...

It calls for 1 litre whole milk + 200g. cream + 125 g. white sugar + 125g. morenito sugar(?) + vanilla + honey.

Put all ingredients in bowl and set at Varoma temp. speed 5 for 45 min. Add more time to find the density you like. I'm pretty sure I got it right!

I'm wondering if I can do my regular crock pot dulce de leche following these instructions for the method. My crock pot recipe is 4 c. whole milk, 1-2/3 c. sugar, 1 vanilla bean, 1/4 tsp. baking soda added to 1 tbsp. water.

I already find my recipe too thin. I'm concerned about the amount of liquid in the Spanish recipe.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the brown sugar translation Schneich.

I read a few more translated Spanish google pages and found out the secret for making dulce de leche in the Thermomix. You can't use the measuring cup in the hole. I figured as much as you need it to reduce. But would it reduce too much?!

I made a recipe yesterday using a combination of recipes: 1 litre whole milk, + an additional 150g. milk + 50g. 35% cream + 100g. brown sugar + 150g. white sugar + 1/8 tsp. baking soda + 1/2 vanilla pod, scraped. I had it on Varoma temp., speed 5 for 50 min. I put both Varoma steamers on top of the lid (without the cup in the hole or the solid lid of the Varoma) to reduce splatter. The result was very good. I haven't had enough dulce de leche to give an informed opinion as to the authenticity of the flavour. It was a little too light in colour and not quite thick enough for what I wanted (that's why I gave it the extra time). Next time I would increase the soda to 1/4 tsp. and add a little more sugar to get a thicker and darker result.

If anyone is familiar with the dulce de leche flavour and tries making it in the Thermomix - I would love to hear feedback as to how it measures up for the 'authentic' flavour.

Anybody out there in Massachusetts? It appears there is a thermomix available there - but since it's on Craigslist I suspect you would have to be able to pick it up.

Re my thermomix - my kitchen has been cut in half this week due to the need for a dust wall during the reno. Until my chocolate room is up and running I don't really have the space (or time) to play with it.

So it's visiting over at AnnaN's place. She's having great fun with it and sending me pictures every day of what she is making. Hopefully she'll post some here.