• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Health Checks 11/4 from the Bergen Record

Rosie

If this column is accurate then we're looking at 5 weeks in a row, that Maharani Express has recieved a conditional.

Kinda begs the question, eh?

Nick

Might be that the list the offending restaurant each week until they get reinspected. That's my guess anyway. :wacko:

Might be that the list the offending restaurant each week until they get reinspected. That's my guess anyway. :wacko:

Good point. If that's the case I think it could be made clearer. I'm thinking that they failed every inspection with the implication that there is another failed inspection every week that their name appears.

Tommy said:

a question like "do people who eat at maharani express really care about health inspections?"

Perhaps not, nor am I making a case that they should. My response to Rosie was along the lines of "A Clear and Present Danger". If indeed thay get 5 conditionals in a row then why are they permitted to remain in business.

I'll wait for my next inspection (I'm due) and ask the sanitarian about it. That is unless someone here can dig up some more accurate info.

Nick

Good point. If that's the case I think it could be made clearer. I'm thinking that they failed every inspection with the implication that there is another failed inspection every week that their name appears.

I called the Record and it turns out that the Health Dept. calls in the violations to the paper each week. They only print the type of violation. They also print when the violation turns to satisfactory, conditional, etc. on reinspection.

It is possible that Maharani was reinspected and passed on that particular violation but got a conditional on a different one. If this is the case then it would look like the same violation week after week being printed.

I also think that for legal reasons they cannot list the actual violation until the establishment fails the reinspection and a fine is levied.

Thanks Nockerl.

So back to my original point. Conditionals are failed inspections, no? Five in row, regardless of which specific violation...welll... :blink::huh:

Disclaimer: I have eaten there in the past year. My take is that one does get a sense about these things from sitting in the dining room. My motives are also selfish. I'd like to see a reasonable Local Indian restaurant, that I can eat in regularly, without having to drive to Paramus or Ridgewood. :biggrin::wink:

My point about this is the potential rap that a place like this gives to other ethnic restaurants. I think people may give short shrift to a very rich cuisine, deserving of attention, based on stuff like this. I think this sort of thing hurts Indian restaurants all over Bergen County.

I never get this sort of thing. It really doesn't take much to run a place to code. It costs far less in the long run.

Nick

what is the big deal. You did not seem alarmed that Wild Ginger or Baumgart's had many past conditionals so why should this restaurant be any different.

True dodge. Baumgart's and Wild Ginger did have a few conditionals. Baumgart's may have even had 2 or 3 in a row. It *is* one of the reasons that I don't eat there (Baumgart's). That and the fact that I don't really care for the food. But the fact that I don't like the food came before the conditionals.

Wild Ginger? I don't recall the inspections being posted. However, I do remember your rant based on the CBS report. But then again I also knew one of the affected people from that report personally. Seems to me, based on the same report, that there was some contrtion and effort to make things right.

Quite apart from the Bergen Record review of this place, I'm hearing nothing but diamond reviews about Wild Ginger, and from people whose food opinions I respect. So in this case I think I'll judge for myself. Hey!, didn't *you* like this place in a prior sushi thread?

I think there is a difference between the 5 failed inspections of Maharani (if it is indeed that many, we're still not clear on this) and a couple of conditionals for Baumgart's and Wild Ginger that seem to have been repaired with nothing further heard from.

Nick

[Hey!, didn't *you* like this place in a prior sushi thread?]

nope have not been there

[but the fact that I don't like the food came before the conditionals.

]

so if you liked the food at Maharani Express and if you knew the owners would you not have started this post?

nope have not been there

[but the fact that I don't like the food came before the conditionals.

]

My mistake. I stand corrected.

so if you liked the food at Maharani Express and if you knew the owners would you not have started this post?

If I read this correctly then the answer is Yes! I would not have started this post. I've made my position clear about people I know. However, I wouldn't enter the thread unless I felt that there was clear factual error.

BTW, I don't think I started this thread. Look dodge, I just worked all day on a dish for a charity benifit for 250. Humped it out to Basking Ridge. Did the benefit. Humped back to Alpine, and am now sitting here trying to unwind. This also begs a question...Why are you torturing me?

Nick

Nick

[There are at least two other restaurants that I know of, whose names regularly appear in “The Record”, not because of advertising dollars, but instead, due to the various town health departments failing them for assorted health code violations in order that they may achieve the dubious distinction of having their names printed in Monday’s “Health Checks” column.

funny the inconsistency here. :raz:

I have read that several times and I think I understand it, but why don't you just say which restaurants you mean?

]

I take that back. I didn't understand it. Dodge, I now think you were quoting someone else about the two restaurants, but it really is hard to follow when you use one [ to start a quote, then don't close it. if you hate the quote function, couldn't you at least use a "?

[There are at least two other restaurants that I know of, whose names regularly appear in “The Record”, not because of advertising dollars, but instead, due to the various town health departments failing them for assorted health code violations in order that they may achieve the dubious distinction of having their names printed in Monday’s “Health Checks” column.

funny the inconsistency here.  :raz:

:sigh:

One of them was *not* Wild Ginger. Wasn't that the point of that post? A response to your Wild Ginger rant. Yes one of them *was* Baumgart's

I think the other reference was to either Maharani express or the Bamboo...(I dunno, filipino place, I forget), both in Bergenfield.

Now that all names are out in the open, I hope you're happy. But it is public info. Would you explain the inconsistency. I'm at a loss.

dodge, this is a small point, I have a protocol question regarding how the boards of health operate. What is their criteria for shutting down restaurants, and how much slack they give various restaurants. Another motive is given the somtime prejudices that some have to Indian restaurants (a cuisine that I enjoy), I feel that places that rate this type of consistent poor health report play into the hands of those predjudices.

I'm not here to pick a fight with anyone, or needle anyone, or annoy anyone into posting comments that they sometimes regret. Alright...ALRIGHT!

Thankyou

Nick

[Now that all names are out in the open, I hope you're happy. ]

Never asked the names.

But you implied that you would like *me* to name some. I have and I don't mind. I haven't any professional connection to any of these restaurants.

I'm just looking for an answer to my question. Why don't we just let this thread peter out and when my inspector comes I can ask him? I'm getting a little tired of this circle-jerk. Leave us put it to bed for the time being, 'kay?

Nick