• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meringue Topping with a Thick and Creamy Texture

rubyred

There's a bakery near my house (Au Pain Dore, in Montreal, in case you're curious!) that does a lemon meringue dessert with a texture I've never seen anywhere else. It's very thick and creamy, almost like marshmallow, really.

Does anyone know how I can achieve such a texture? I would guess that they add an ingredient apart from the usual suspects, but I don't have the time to experiment, as I've been asked at the last minute to provide some tartlets for a bridal shower.

Part of the reason I'm so keen to use this type of meringue topping is that I'm thinking a thicker topping might be more stable if the temperature and humidity is high on Sunday. Do you think I'm correct in my thinking?

Cheers!

The first time I tried Italian Meringue I had a bit of a meringue epiphany... I think it delivers just what you want... the mouthfeel is amazing, I would describe it as creamy, just like you did. Taking a bite (or a spoonful!), it just feels like it fills your mouth.

It is also said to be more stable, which would suit you well. I'm not sure HOW stable, I haven't really tested that.

I am told by some that the Swiss Meringue delivers the same results with an easier method, but opinons seem to be divided (both on the result, and which is more convenient).

There are lots of threads about it here on the Gullet, and there is an Italian Meringue Buttercream (known as IMBC) Demo which would be of use for you too (you just stop after making the meringue :)

The first time I tried Italian Meringue I had a bit of a meringue epiphany... I think it delivers just what you want... the mouthfeel is amazing, I would describe it as creamy, just like you did. Taking a bite (or a spoonful!), it just feels like it fills your mouth.

It is also said to be more stable, which would suit you well. I'm not sure HOW stable, I haven't really tested that.

I am told by some that the Swiss Meringue delivers the same results with an easier method, but opinons seem to be divided (both on the result, and which is more convenient).

There are lots of threads about it here on the Gullet, and there is an Italian Meringue Buttercream (known as IMBC) Demo which would be of use for you too (you just stop after making the meringue :)

I think Italian meringue is what you are looking for. It has a much more creamy texture than a french method. I had one woman I worked with always take home any leftover so she could dip strawberries in it.

If you are going to torch the meringues, they can sit for several hours. I have made many lemon meringue tartletts and they have lasted for the whole day. Refrigerating makes it start to weep. I think it is more stable since the sugar is cooked to a higher temperature

All it is, is the amount of sugar you add to the egg whites. The more sugar you add, the thicker and creamier the egg whites are. The less sugar you add, the foamier the meringue.

To get the thick and creamy kind, just use a ratio of 2:1, meaning for every lb of whites, add 2 lbs of sugar. You can do it using the swiss meringue method....that's the easiest.

Another example: 8 oz whites to 1 lb of sugar, etc.

If you don't know, the swiss meringue method is to put your whites and sugar in a metal bowl, and put that bowl in a simmering pan of water. Heat the sugar and whites til very hot, whisking occasionally. Then beat until stiff peaks form. :smile:

Thanks so much to eveyone who replied for their thoughtful ideas! That's why I love egullet!

Unfortunately, I've had a horrible migraine all weekend, so since the show had to go on, I did a lemon bar with a shortbread crust instead, and added a few extra bars to the order with no charge. My clients were still happy, which is good - while I said bridal shower in the OP, what I meant to say was baby shower, and any professional (or human, probably!) knows not to mess with a pregnant lady's favorite!

I am still very excited to try to make Italian meringue. I remember it being used in desserts we made at a Pierre Herme workshop I did in Paris, but being one of the only cooks in the group I had never made it, and was not in the group that was assigned to make it.

Thanks again!