• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portable induction burner for sous vide?

Keith_W

An old fashioned hot plate/magnetic stirrer might do the job if the temp control knob was sensitive enough. But even then I think it'd be inferior to a pid controller / crock pot

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm very interested in finding a way to control an induction burner with precision, but not for sous vide. I'm going to go with the new Anova for that. The main reason I'm interested in pairing a PID and portable induction burner is to control the temperature of water... for coffee. I

I've been heating the water for my pour-over on induction for a year or two now. I measure the temperature with a Thermapen. Sometimes the Thermapen shuts off when I put it in the water. I suspect this is a result of the magnetic field interfering with it as _john described above, as it hasn't happened with other heat sources.

i do think I'll continue to investigate this, as water does heat faster with induction than plain electricity (I'm not bothered about heating the water quickly for sous vide as it's a slow process anyway..

I'm reading about what's under the hood here:

http://openschemes.com/2010/11/11/1800w-induction-cooktop-teardown/

One of the benefits of living in Thailand is that I can affordably hire a techie to tear a burner down and rebuild it my way. I need to have a clear idea of what my way IS first, however. I'll need a techie; I stuck with engineering school long enough to revel in the geekery of it but not long enough to be anything but dangerous to myself and others if tasked with building such a gadget myself.

One thing I'm noticing as I research this is that if anyone's done this already, it's probably a home brewer. The beer-making people are very interested in precise temperature control,

Edited by Jeff K (log)