• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mutton

David Ross

Does anyone know of a reliable, quality source for purchasing mutton online? I've been searching and haven't had much success in locating an online source. I suppose I could probably contact one of the vendors that sells lamb online, hoping they would also have mutton.

Any good sources that you know of for buying mutton online? I've been craving the taste of mutton for about 35 years now--ever since I last tasted mutton stew. Lamb stew just doesn't have the same depth of flavor of mutton.

I don't have an online source, just a nearby farm. I'd never had mutton until two years ago -- what a revelation. It's got the rich taste of lamb that I love and the tenderness if handled properly. And it's a lot less expensive.

My theory as to why mutton has had such a bad rap has to do with trimming the fat -- do it -- that's where the nastiness lies. Lean mutton and lamb, in my experience, are very similar.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Mutton got a really bad rap decades ago. I'm not sure about the reasons. But it seems like a lot of chefs are trying to bring it back. It's worth bugging local butchers about, or sending requests to online sources and farms. Let them know there's interest.

Notes from the underbelly

• 5 years later...

Well, 5 years on and I'm still searching for a source online for mutton.  Not lamb, mutton.  I've had a taste for mutton since I was a kid.  My Grandfather, Ralp Pink, owned a wool and pelt business in Twin Falls, Idaho for many years and he would often serve up mutton--a typical meat in Idaho decades ago when the sheep business was king.  I'll never forget a trip we took one summer up to Ketchum, Idaho, where my Grandfather's friend Gladys Keel lived.  Gladys claimed to be a friend of Ernest Hemingway who lived up on the hill.  True or not we'll never know, but I do know Gladys made a hearty, fragrant mutton stew. 

I'm finding that Americans just don't seem to appreciate the full flavor of mutton.  Lamb yes, but those are babies compared to mature ewes that no longer produce lambs.  I've found through my research that the wretched ewes are often sent off to become a blend of meats and fillers not served in homes or restaurants.  The UK has a number of online sites that sell mutton, but they can't ship to the US.  There are a few online halal sites that sell a few limited cuts of mutton or canned mutton.  In the US the only site I've found that sells mutton is the Moonlight Barbecue in Kentucky, but I don't want slow-roasted mutton cloaked in barbecue sauce.  I'm looking for a side of mutton I can butcher myself.

I've found two local farms that are willing to sell mutton, but we have to plan up to a year in advance.  Lambs born in the early Spring are sent to market around November so that's the time when older ewes can be set aside for sale.  I'm just not sure that I want a whole mutton carcass.

So I'm reaching out once again to see what sources you have for mutton, preferably an online source in the US that ships. 

Have you called any sheep farms in your area to ask them if they ever sell mutton or would if asked? I have no idea what they do with the lamb-bearing mommas when they are finished with producing but if I were you, I would ask them. They probably don't think anyone else would be interested in 'mutton' so they slaughter only for their family table.

Have you called any sheep farms in your area to ask them if they ever sell mutton or would if asked? I have no idea what they do with the lamb-bearing mommas when they are finished with producing but if I were you, I would ask them. They probably don't think anyone else would be interested in 'mutton' so they slaughter only for their family table.

I think you're right.  There doesn't seem to be much of a market for mutton so trying to sell it isn't profitable.  I'll keep searching.  I know of a farmer at our small outdoor market that sells lamb so I'll ask him to see if he would set aside a ewe for me. 

I've found two local farms that are willing to sell mutton, but we have to plan up to a year in advance...

If you haven't tried this yet...Before you give up on your local source, I suggest that you contact a meat CSA located near Spokane. (I don't know anything about them, only found the link online.) They don't sell mutton or lamb. But they do have a membership and send out a regular newsletter. Ask them if they will put a notice in their newsletter for people interested in sharing a whole mutton with you, along with your contact info. Also, they might have ideas about how you can find others interested in eating mutton.

http://www.rockyridgeranchspokane.com/csa_winter.php

My other suggestion is to find a halal market near you. Some of their clientele might like mutton and the market orders it for them.

I did a google search for "meat csa mutton" and several sources popped up. Perhaps one of them will ship to you.