• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okniawan Soki Soba

dockhl

My S.O. remembers having wonderful soki soba insde the air terminal at Kadena AFB when he was there and I'd love to make him some. He thinks the meat was beef but I find in most recipes it is pork.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks!

Kathy

here is an easy way to make soki soba if you live in north america. buy cross cut spare ribs and an equal weight of unsmoked ham hocks. if you have a pressure cooker put the spare ribs and ham hocks in and cover with cold water. cook until the ham hocks are falling apart. discard the ham hocks and strain the broth. season the broth with salt and msg. put the short ribs in a pot and just barely cover with dashi. into the dashi add soy sauce, mirin, sugar, awamori in a ratio of 1:0.3:0.3:0.1 . bring to a boil and let it sit in the refrigerator at least overnight. buy the thinnest dried udon you can find. boil the udon and then rinse it under running water. add it to the bowl and then add the pork broth. top with some of the seasoned rib meat. add benishoga and negi.