• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brasseries

brescd01

I just spent 9 days in Paris and I had not been there for a very long time. I know that my impressions were colored by heat and August closings, but I really changed my mind about a lot of things.

I had posted lists of restaurants I wanted to try (on the France board) and the most frequent concern was that my list disproportionately contained brasseries. Frankly, I don't think I understood what a brasserie is. I thought these were places that specialized in Alsatian food and seafood and were open all hours.

Instead, these are pretty clearly high-end "diners" that maintain full menus with fresh seafood and alcohol, are open all hours, and have both inner and outer dining spaces. They are as lovely to have a beer in as to eat in. I loved them. I cannot think of any restaurant except Parc that resembles them (now that Perrier has closed), and I hate Parc.

So I ask, am I missing something? Are there places here that resemble brasseries? Accomodating large groups was also important, and watching these warm reunions was half the charm of eating at them.

I just spent 9 days in Paris and I had not been there for a very long time. I know that my impressions were colored by heat and August closings, but I really changed my mind about a lot of things.

I had posted lists of restaurants I wanted to try (on the France board) and the most frequent concern was that my list disproportionately contained brasseries. Frankly, I don't think I understood what a brasserie is. I thought these were places that specialized in Alsatian food and seafood and were open all hours.

Instead, these are pretty clearly high-end "diners" that maintain full menus with fresh seafood and alcohol, are open all hours, and have both inner and outer dining spaces. They are as lovely to have a beer in as to eat in. I loved them. I cannot think of any restaurant except Parc that resembles them (now that Perrier has closed), and I hate Parc.

So I ask, am I missing something? Are there places here that resemble brasseries? Accomodating large groups was also important, and watching these warm reunions was half the charm of eating at them.

No, you aren't and no, there isn't. US food culture is fundamentally different from Europe's: an actual brasserie might find a niche in NY, but probably nowhere else. In fact, as you appear to have found out, even in Paris brasseries are not what they used to be.

As for Philadelphia, I suggest you reconsider Parc or give up the search.

That is funny but sad:( The more I read about "brasserie" I realize this is both a place and a set of traditional dishes, so that "brasserie" style food could be served in a "bistro". Any place to get traditional brasserie dishes, then? The more I think about it, the more I realize Brasserie Perrier really checked off most of the brasserie boxes. What a loss.

Trust me, I want to love Parc, I really do. But I have had only lousy experiences there, lousy food, intolerable noise, iffy service.

Edited by brescd01 (log)

i'm not sure i know the diffference between a brasserie and a bistro. (long ago didn't a brasserie brew their own beer?)

but if your looking for a bustling place with classic french bistro dishes, wine by the carafe and half carafe, stella and leffe on tap, french waiters and waitresses, then go to wash dc and spend some time at Bistro du Coin.

also in dc are brasserie beck and michels'. both excellent places that are a bit finer establishments than bistro du coin.

not sure why dc seems to have the bistro/brasserie thing down so well.

Oh G-d I hate Washington but I am so there! What about our neighbor to the north?

I struggle with the proper definition of "brasserie" but "bistro" is easier: I think it means a casual small restaurant with modest home-cooked food. A brasserie appears to mean two things, first a place with indoor and outdoor seating, a large menu (by French standards) of relatively informal dishes, an extensive shellfish menu, and year-round long hours.

The second thing it refers to is the food, which is a set of traditional hearty informal dishes like Lipp's lamb curry, and these could be served anywhere.

Edited by brescd01 (log)