• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Poscol

Kevin72

This is an Enoteca (wine bar) open where Cafe Belgium(?) used to be, across the street from Hugo's.

I had repeatedly heard that Wiles' next venture was going to be an Italian seafood bar, so this was a bit of a surprise for me when it opened. Probably not a bad idea to put something like that off given the economic climate however.

Still, Poscol seems to be suffering from a strong independent identity. Everything we had was great as always (the housemade salumi and the beets and goat cheese in parchment being the standouts) but I'm not sure what exactly it offers that separates it from the very similar Dolce Vita just down the street. Poscol doesn't do pizzas of course, but beyond that it's very much in the same vein. They do offer a wide variety of sandwiches but as of right now aren't open for lunch. Likewise for a wine bar they don't have much of a bar area, which would seem to be a natural to pop in at and have a few nibbles between cocktails or glasses of wine.

Hopefully the kinks can get worked out though.