• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality bistro cookbook that is principals heavy?

DHeineck

The Balthazar CookbookBalthazar, while technically a "brasserie" should provide a good reference.

There must be something to The Balthazar Cookbook. It's one of the only cookbooks I want, but haven't bought because the price refuses to drop. Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

• 3 weeks later...
...Patricia Wells ...Simple French Food by Richard Olney ...]

-- and as others mentioned, Elizabeth David. Yes! YES! Such authors kept the flame alive when more mainstream US writers pushed mediocrity and false shortcuts. They are among a sort of underground short hits list that I've found to be a de-facto consensus among very experienced cooking enthusiasts and accomplished professional chefs I've asked about cookbooks.

Another unusual book and an example of the serious writing on French food available in the US before Julia Child (and in this case, from the same publisher) is Alexander Watt's Paris Bistro Cookery (Knopf, 1957; readily available used, amazon.com alone currently lists many copies, starting about $23). The author, a food writer living in Paris, went to 50 favorite bistros and wrote up two representative recipes from each, complete with atmospheric background, cultural quirks, etc. of the often family-run businesses.

Among many, many cookbooks at hand, one of those I use the most is from here in the Bay Area at the region's quintessential modern bistro: The original, 1984 cookbook from the Café at Chez Panisse (upstairs and independent from the well-known restaurant, though often confused with it nowadays by out-of-towners). It's the "Chez Panisse Pasta-Pizza-Calzone" cookbook, ISBN 0394530942, representing recipes from various chefs who worked there. It's full of ideas that are fresh and alive and unpretentious. When I first got it in the 1980s (long before the backlash that has developed against Alice Waters's recent image in interviews, by the way) I cooked through some recipes that looked interesting. Some were even better than they looked, and brought out insightful principles about flavors that I hadn't seen in better-known cookbooks. It's organized around fresh produce by season, but the favorite resipes that I cherish the book for, and cook repeatedly, have nothing remotely to do with fancy or precious ingredients, just insight. Representative is the first recipe: "White Asparagus, Brown Butter, Parmesan, & Fetticine." That commences the first of four seasonal pasta-recipe chapters; a long chapter on pizzas and calzones follows, beginning "Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola, & Rosemary." Try it, you'll like it!