• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dipping Sauce for Bread

fooey

Restaurants in the US are now commonly serving bread with olive oil (as a dipping sauce) on the side.

I've seen olive oil alone, olive oil with drops of balsamic vinegar, but not much else.

The dipping sauce dishes I have allow 3 sauces, so I'm thinking of just using three different olive oils with distinct colors and flavours. I don't particularly like the acidity of balsamic vinegar with bread. :hmmm:

What interesting offerings have you seen served with bread?

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

I've seen different types of butters (salted, unsalted, goat's milk butter) etc... or lardo that's been infused with rosemary, then whipped and piped into the dish... or olive oil with olives pureed into the oil...

I've enjoyed a variety of bean preparations. Pureed white beans with garlic and rosemary; crushed chick peas with garlic and crushed red pepper; coarsely ground fresh fava beans with mint; white beans with salt cod; etc.

I have to say that I stay away from the oil bowls nowadays. It's alarmingly easy to put 500 calories worth of olive oil and bread into your stomach before you've even started dinner.

--

Places here in Houston sometimes offer chopped herb mixtures with the oil.

Another thought is the Middle Eastern herb/spice/nut mix called "dukkha" (not sure about spelling), which serves a similar purpose as a bread dip.

Restaurants in the US are now commonly serving bread with olive oil (as a dipping sauce) on the side.

I've seen olive oil alone, olive oil with drops of balsamic vinegar, but not much else.

The dipping sauce dishes I have allow 3 sauces, so I'm thinking of just using three different olive oils with distinct colors and flavours. I don't particularly like the acidity of balsamic vinegar with bread. :hmmm:

What interesting offerings have you seen served with bread?

Diced tomato with little salt and pepper, than you can add diced roasted bell pepper, roasted garlic etc to the basic tomato sauce.

At the Greenhouse Tavern in Cleveland, OH, they serve the bread with either duck or pork rillette. Ummm ... quite delicious (although honestly, the bread alone is also quite good).

ETA: Although I guess technically, rillette isn't a dipping sauce, but a spread. Still delicious though.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

taramasalata (sp?) is good as is tapenade, i like the idea of different butters - one salted, one unsalted and one with say a thin dice of anchovy or herbs, or you could do butters from different places? I wouldsecond the dukkah mix too - its delicious!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

My favorite isn't a dipping sauce at all but a small round of buttery chicken liver pate which is incredibly inexpensive to make but so delicious. Plain softened butter is always great and you could round out the third offering with a seasoned butter.

The worst thing is a restaurant that puts hard, cold butter on the table. :angry:

Rhonda

The harissa makes a nice spicy accompaniment.

I almost forgot about harissa. It's certainly unappreciated. I like to add it to cous cous, but alone would be great too. Some of them are really hot.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

using different oils can also be interesting, avocado oil, walnut oil maybe? I also like spice/herb mixes, sometimes you can find them 4 in one container with different flavors. I generally stay away from premixed mixes, but those are pretty good.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog