• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite new gadget for 2009

Darienne

Citrus zests make life worth living. I can think of few recipes which aren't improved by the addition of orange zest. Well, I exaggerate as usual.

No doubt you all have one already, but I didn't have a proper stainless-steel rasp and zester holder until recently and I used it for the first time last night making DL's Orange-Szechwan Pepper Ice Cream.

It was a dream come true. :wub: I was so excited with no one to tell. Never, never again to fight with the box grater.

So I thought I would share it with a few thousand of my closest friends.

What's your favorite new kitchen toy?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My favorite new gadget is a milk frother I picked up for $5. I don't froth milk with it though, but it makes emulsifying a vinaigrette or a cocktail with egg white lincredibly easy. My salads have never been better dressed.

All I have to do is measure the acid and oil out using teaspoons or tablespoons and let it sit on the counter until I'm ready to dress the salad: 10 seconds of emulsion, check for seasoning, then dress--it couldn't be easier. And no more shaking that Ramos gin fizz until my arm feels like its going to fall off or my hand feels so cold it could be shattered. It's made these crucial and somewhat difficult tasks easier to do and with better results.

nunc est bibendum...

I think that the one thing that changed my life more than anything is my big KitchenAid Pro 600 stand mixer. Refurbished, I paid $230. I picked up the beater blade, too. You know...one of those things that scrapes the bowl for you. My cake making has become much easier. :)

I bought two of those blades in the fall, one for me and one for a friend. But because life took one of those strange turns, I haven't used my Cuisinart in months. I am really looking forward to trying it.

Marshmallows...I need to make some marshmallows.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

my £1.99 tomato knife. ive always said if you keep your knives sharp enough then you dont need a silly little serrated knife but i finally gave in. ive been using it to cut the edges of pastry off tarts and flans etc too, i find it cleaner than my pastry knife.

The King 1000/6000 Japanese waterstone and Japanese sharpening technique are so much better than my old double-sided oilstone and the sharpening method I was using before. My knives used to be sharp, but now they're sharp.

Citrus zests make life worth living.  I can think of few recipes which aren't improved by the addition of orange zest.  Well, I exaggerate as usual.

No doubt you all have one already, but I didn't have a proper stainless-steel rasp and zester holder until recently and I used it for the first time last night making DL's Orange-Szechwan Pepper Ice Cream.

It was a dream come true.  :wub:  I was so excited with no one to tell.  Never, never again to fight with the box grater. 

So I thought I would share it with a few thousand of my closest friends.

What's your favorite new kitchen toy?

Wow - what timing! I bought myself a microplane a few months ago but didn't use it until this morning. I used it to grate ginger and, my lord, does it make a difference. Can't wait to use it for zesting.

Also, I love my milk frother but I have had that for a few years. I can pop out chai te.a that is far better than Starbucks in no time flat

Hi all.

I'd certainly vote for Microplanes - I have three - but I think my favourite not-quite-gadget would have to be my oven (Fisher & Paykel Titan). It's huge, it's amazingly self-cleaning and it delivers all the temperatures I want, from dough-proving 30°C through 24-hour steak 50° to a searing 300° or so if I want it. It's lovely.

The only question is: why didn't I get the double one ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Finally got my Unicorn Magnum pepper grinder. Holy cow can that thing pump out the pepper, and so easy to load! Why did I wait so long!?

OK. I still don't have a decent pepper mill and I don't have a decent mandoline.

I wonder if Unicorn is available in Canada...or is it just online?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm very happy with my new extra-large garlic crusher thingy from Lee Valley Tools

(Many thanks to Judiu who sent me the link, which I immediately used.)

I know, I know, one does not need a garlic press but this one is very handy for me because I do have arthritis in my hands and some tasks are difficult. The way this one works makes the task extremely easy.

While at the site, I also "discovered" measuring pourers. Egads! These are terrific. I bought the set, which included Teaspoon, Tablespoon and Ounce, and also ordered the Two Ounce.

After I got them and used them, I ordered three more sets for myself and one for my daughter.

pours

They are as accurate as I need - in fact they are more accurate than two different sets of measuring spoons I have and the best part is they don't have to be cleaned after every use or between ingredients. Especially with oils, vinegars and syrups because they stay on the bottles I use all the time.

I'm going to order another couple of sets, because I find I have more and more uses for them.

I presently have the tablespoon ones on olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar and sweet soy.

The teaspoon ones are on rose water, orange flower water and vanilla (homemade).

The ounce and two ounce pours are on various syrups. I do have a few that are yet unused.

One of the two-ounce pourers in on a bottle of Verjus and I find that I am using it more often since it is so handy to pour.

I bought a couple of the Trudeau Elite Graviti Battery Operated Pepper Mills from Amazon, gave one to my best friend for Christmas, then ordered two more for myself because I use several different kinds of peppercorns (from Pepper-Passion.com) and I love these mills.

The business end is at the top and when you tip the mill it starts to grind and stops when it is again upright. It is easy to clean, doesn't pick up yucky stuff from the counter as do the ones with the grinder at the bottom so I don't have to have them on a tray or each with its own little saucer. I love these! :wub:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm very happy with my new extra-large garlic crusher thingy from Lee Valley Tools

(Many thanks to Judiu who sent me the link, which I immediately used.) 

I know, I know, one does not need a garlic press but this one is very handy for me because I do have arthritis in my hands and some tasks are difficult.  The way this one works makes the task extremely easy.

While at the site, I also "discovered"  measuring pourers.  Egads!  These are terrific.  I bought the set, which included  Teaspoon,  Tablespoon and Ounce, and also ordered the Two Ounce.

After I got them and used them, I ordered three more sets for myself and one for my daughter.

pours

They are as accurate as I need - in fact they are more accurate than two different sets of measuring spoons I have and the best part is they don't have to be cleaned after every use or between ingredients.  Especially with oils, vinegars and syrups because they stay on the bottles I use all the time.

I'm going to order another couple of sets, because I find I have more and more uses for them.

I presently have the tablespoon ones on olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar and sweet soy. 

The teaspoon ones are on rose water, orange flower water and vanilla (homemade). 

The ounce and two ounce pours are on various syrups.  I do have a few that are yet unused.

One of the two-ounce pourers in on a bottle of Verjus and I find that I am using it more often since it is so handy to pour. 

I bought a couple of the Trudeau Elite Graviti Battery Operated Pepper Mills from Amazon, gave one to my best friend for Christmas, then ordered two more for myself because I use several different kinds of peppercorns (from Pepper-Passion.com) and I love these mills. 

The business end is at the top and when you tip the mill it starts to grind and stops when it is again upright.  It is easy to clean, doesn't pick up yucky stuff from the counter as do the ones with the grinder at the bottom so I don't have to have them on a tray or each with its own little saucer.  I love these! :wub:

I do LOVE me some Lee Valley! The peasant's knife is a joy, and their service is top notch :wub::wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

My Lee Valley catalogs are out of date. Barbara, confectionery partner, stops by every time she goes to Toronto and picks up stuff on behalf of herself and friends. (Just phoned, am getting new catalogs, the pourers are in them. I'm gonna get me some.)

I've been looking at their mandoline for a long time now...yearning...

A couple of really neat things that I do have: super magnets for the fridge. They are knobs so you can pick them up and they hold really well and I often fasten my recipe to my stove hood or somewhere nearby to have it on hand while cooking.

Another one that those with arthritis especially might consider buying...I couldn't live without mine... the Lee Valley Jar Opener. Like magic. I have gifted many with this one.

Also my knife blade guards. We travel a lot and the knife guards are invaluable.

No, I don't work for them or get discounts for touting their wares. Thank you Andie :wub: so much for showing me those pourers and getting me back into new catalogs.)

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

It's not any one thing, but...

I finally had enough of not being able to cook this or that because I didn't have this pan or that gadget, etc., so I just bought everything on my list, including the commercial mixer.

Online restaurant supply stores saved me a lot of money. Had I bought everything from Sur La Table, etc., I would be bankrupt.

If only one thing, it would be my new burr coffee grinder. I use it to grind malt and pepper and spices too, but mostly coffee. It takes 15 seconds to do its thing and leaves no coffee grounds on the counter.

I did make one mistake. The 8 sheet pans and sheet pan covers are commercial sized, so they don't fit in my oven (and can't be returned cheaply!). Doh!

Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

While at the site, I also "discovered"  measuring pourers.  Egads!  These are terrific.  I bought the set, which included  Teaspoon,  Tablespoon and Ounce, and also ordered the Two Ounce.

pours

Why, why, why did you have to post about those? I was hoping to leave Winnipeg without spending my usual fortune at Lee Valley, but now I'm going to have to pick up some of those pourers! And you can always find more to buy there (hence spending a fortune.).

Curses on you andiesenji! :angry:

But thanks! :biggrin:

pours

Why, why, why did you have to post about those? I was hoping to leave Winnipeg without spending my usual fortune at Lee Valley, but now I'm going to have to pick up some of those pourers! And you can always find more to buy there (hence spending a fortune.).

Curses on you andiesenji! :angry:

But thanks! :biggrin:

That makes two of us about to buy them!!!!!!! :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just love these small Victorinox paring knives. They make them with plane and serrated edges. They hold a very sharp edge forever. They're cheap to buy. No, they don't have the heft of more expensive knives, but for small work I'm perfectly happy with less heft.

Victorninox on Amazon

-Mark

Edited by MarkIsCooking (log)

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Most of these were not purchased in 2009 and some have been already mentioned

These are some of my favorite items.

Unicorn Magnum peppermill. Yes just a pepper mill but it works really well

microplane. Great for zests and cheeses

AeroPress coffee maker. Unique coffee press that makes great coffee

Thermapen instant read thermometer. Had instant reads before but this one is tops

Japanese knives and stones I can dice a tomato like no body's business. And just about anything else as well

Finally got my Unicorn Magnum pepper grinder. Holy cow can that thing pump out the pepper, and so easy to load! Why did I wait so long!?

OK. I still don't have a decent pepper mill and I don't have a decent mandoline.

On the www.unicornmills.com FAQ site, it says that they will ship out of the US, and to contact them for shipping costs...

On the www.unicornmills.com FAQ site, it says that they will ship out of the US, and to contact them for shipping costs...

the Unicorn is definitely available for shipping to Canada

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

A couple of really neat things that I do have: super magnets for the fridge.  They are knobs so you can pick them up and they hold really well and I often fasten my recipe to my stove hood or somewhere nearby to have it on hand while cooking.

I have some "super" super magnets that will hold anything to anything steel or iron.

I bought them at the feed store and they are called "cow" magnets. The purpose is to be fed to a cow so the magnet will settle into her first stomach and attract and hold any bits of metal that she may ingest, such as nails, pieces of wire fencing, etc., and thus protect the rumen.

They are incredibly strong - the one I use on the pantry fridge will hold a thick stack of papers.

The only place on the kitchen fridge that will take a magnet is on the side.

You should be able to find them at your local feed store - I usually get the "ceramic" ones but do have a couple of the alnico round ones.

cow magnets

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A couple of really neat things that I do have: super magnets for the fridge.  They are knobs so you can pick them up and they hold really well and I often fasten my recipe to my stove hood or somewhere nearby to have it on hand while cooking.

I have some "super" super magnets that will hold anything to anything steel or iron.

I bought them at the feed store and they are called "cow" magnets. The purpose is to be fed to a cow so the magnet will settle into her first stomach and attract and hold any bits of metal that she may ingest, such as nails, pieces of wire fencing, etc., and thus protect the rumen.

They are incredibly strong - the one I use on the pantry fridge will hold a thick stack of papers.

The only place on the kitchen fridge that will take a magnet is on the side.

You should be able to find them at your local feed store - I usually get the "ceramic" ones but do have a couple of the alnico round ones.

cow magnets

I love the concept. Thanks for sharing it. Perhaps the cow magnets are the same as the earth magnets from Lee Valley. I love that they are knobs and so I can handle them.

I also use them in the vehicles. Affix a metal disc to the dash somewhere and then I can hang up the 'In Town' list, or the maps and suchlike when we are traveling.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

the Unicorn is definitely available for shipping to Canada

Shipping to Canada...ah, there's the rub. The cost of shipping to Canada often makes me blanche! :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne

They will gladly put you on the mailing list. Go to leevalley.com. Great company and great service. When Leonard Lee got the Order of Canada I sent him a congratulatory email. I said the only way I could feed my wife was to leave my wallet in the car when I went into his store. He replied thanking me for paying for the rent on his tuxedo.

Cheers

Malcolm

My Lee Valley catalogs are out of date.  Barbara, confectionery partner, stops by every time she goes to Toronto and picks up stuff on behalf of herself and friends.  (Just phoned, am getting new catalogs, the pourers are in them.  I'm gonna get me some.)

I've been looking at their mandoline for a long time now...yearning...

Another one that those with arthritis especially might consider buying...I couldn't live without mine... the Lee Valley Jar Opener.  Like magic.  I have gifted many with this one.

Also my knife blade guards.  We travel a lot and the knife guards are invaluable.

No, I don't work for them or get discounts for touting their wares.  Thank you Andie  :wub: so much for showing me those pourers and getting me back into new catalogs.)

Darienne

They will gladly put you on the mailing list. Go to leevalley.com. Great company and great service. When Leonard Lee got the Order of Canada I sent him a congratulatory email. I said the only way I could feed my wife was to leave my wallet in the car when I went into his store. He replied thanking me for paying for the rent on his tuxedo.

Cheers

Malcolm

Gotcha. Thanks. All I have to do now is to make sure that my chum pays for my stuff on my account instead of hers. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.