• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor importers

Kent Wang

What exactly does a liquor importer do?

I recently found out about Haus Alpenz's magnificent portfolio (Rothman & Winter, Velvet Falernum, Dolin vermouths, Hayman's Old Tom Gin, and many more). While I was awed by the list I wonder why someone hadn't already come along and started importing all these awesome products.

What are the barriers to entry in this field? If I read about some obscure liqueur online that seems to be getting rave reviews, how hard would it be for me to start importing it?

I'm sure it varies greatly from country to country, and even state to state. I plan to be moving to Shanghai next year and my greatest fear is not having access to all the great products I can get in the US. I wouldn't mind taking matters into my own hands and starting an import company, though I understand doing this kind of business in China involves knowing the right people.