• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

bmdaniel

Hell yes. I wish it was warm enough here to truly appreciate such drinks

Is it below the freezing point of ethanol?  Finishing up my mai tai at the moment.  My complaint with the jet pilot is that it is similar to and about as much trouble as a zombie and the zombie is much better.  Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From this weekend's Rum Barrel Challenge, the Bum Barrel (adapted from Jeff Berry) with Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, Plantation Barbados 5 years, lime, white grapefruit, orange, passion fruit syrup, honey syrup, Angostura bitters. I reduced the amount of orange juice and passion fruit syrup a bit and skipped the soda water that the original recipe called for.

17347217102_2fc6c800f8_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 4

Last night a slightly altered Jet Pilot:

1 1/4 oz Appleton VX

1/2 oz Smith & Cross

1/4 oz Blackstrap

1 oz grapefruit

3/4 oz lime juice

1/2 oz honey

1/2 oz cinnamon

1 dash absinthe

1 dash ango

Crushed ice

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 4 weeks later...

Or, you could try the eponymous cocktail for his new spot, Lost Lake:

2 oz Appleton V/X
3/4 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (B.G. Reynolds’)
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/4 oz Maraschino
1/4 oz Campari

Shake with ice, strain over crushed ice.

Made a batch of these last night. So delicious. I think Campari is my favorite tiki secret weapon. (Looking at you, Jungle Bird--which also pairs it with pineapple juice.) I love the grassy, chocolatey funk that the Maraschino brings here too. Trying to use up a bottle of B.G. Reynolds' passion fruit syrup before it goes off so there may be many more Lost Lakes in my immediate future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last night's Don the Beachcomber 1934 Zombie from the Zombie Challenge 2015 with Plantation Barbados 5, Appleton 12, Lost Spirits Cuban-inspired 151, lime juice, homemade Don's Mix and falernum, Angostura bitters, St. George absinthe, and grenadine. High octane for sure.

18793020986_ba0ed1c9ab_z.jpg

Did a little impromptu 151 tasting in the process. The Lemon Hart has richer/deeper caramel notes and is smoother than the Lost Spirits, which is high on banana notes (think bananas foster).

18819292705_5fdb9010e8_z.jpg

Also from this weekend - Trader Vic Mai Tais with Denizen Merchant's Reserve rum, lime juice, Clement Creole shrubb, homemade orgeat, simple syrup. This rum is really great when I don't want to make my own mix for Mai Tais. I finished my bottle of Creole shrubb and decided to replace it once I realized I could get it for $25.

18790978565_76267aa68c_z.jpg

Last night's Don the Beachcomber 1934 Zombie from the Zombie Challenge 2015 with Plantation Barbados 5, Appleton 12, Lost Spirits Cuban-inspired 151, lime juice, homemade Don's Mix and falernum, Angostura bitters, St. George absinthe, and grenadine. High octane for sure.

18793020986_ba0ed1c9ab_z.jpg

Did a little impromptu 151 tasting in the process. The Lemon Hart has richer/deeper caramel notes and is smoother than the Lost Spirits, which is high on banana notes (think bananas foster).

18819292705_5fdb9010e8_z.jpg

Now that Lemon Hart appears to out of production yet again have you seen/tried the new Hamilton 151 Demerara rum yet? I am curious to try it next to old and new Lemon Hart and perhaps the Plantation and Lost Spirits over proofs.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Now that Lemon Hart appears to out of production yet again have you seen/tried the new Hamilton 151 Demerara rum yet? I am curious to try it next to old and new Lemon Hart and perhaps the Plantation and Lost Spirits over proofs.

I've had it, but not side by side. These guys did a comparison and here were their impressions:

The Hamilton rums have the same smokiness and complexity, but also seem to be a little less polished, which can be a good thing in sweet Tiki drinks. The 151 rum especially packs a slightly harder punch, while Lemon Hart 151 is just a bit mellower. In the end, it’s a toss-up, but those who prefer their rum to be slightly more aggressive will enjoy mixing with the Hamilton rums.

• Like 1

I've had it, but not side by side. These guys did a comparison and here were their impressions:

Great link! Thanks.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

My boyfriend and I very recently jumped into tiki drinkdom after getting interested in making good cocktails and curating a nice home bar over the winter. A recent favorite is the riviera di potente, we followed the recipe from Cocktail Virgin. Plantation Barbados 5 year, el dorado 151 ( we don't have Lemonhart), Amaro Ramazzotti, St. elder, cinnamon syrup, lime juice, Absinthe and Angostura. Deeee-lightful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Benny and the Jets

adapted from Ryan Lotz via cocktail virgin

1oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac (Decourtet)
1oz Smith & Cross rum
1/2oz Benedictine
1/2oz demerara syrup
1/2oz oz lime
3 dashes Ango (Mi Casa bitters)
1 dash absinthe

Garnish with lime, cherry, mint.

11693832_870615939695637_4243475441876903436_n.jpg

• Like 2

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

I recently acquired a couple bottles of the Hamilton 151 (available at The Party  Source :wink: )*.  I definitely recommend it.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any Lemon Hart left to compare to, but I found the Hamilton to very agreeable.  My immediate impression upon tasting it straight was that it is as good a substitute as you can hope for, if not superior to Lemon Hart.  I also got his Pot Still Jamaican Black Rum.  I have to say it's a little weird when tasted straight, but once you put it in your tiki drink it's magic.

*I went looking on the Party Source website for Lemon Hart and when it didn't turn up I saw this "Hamilton 151".  For about three seconds, I'm thinking "what the hell is Hamilton ru---ohhhhhhhhh!!!"

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

hello,

I was looking for a Puertorican rum to make zombies or other tiki drinks. I wanted something else than the bacardi 8 años so I asked around to bartenders and they advised me either Cruzan or DonQ.

I finally manage to get this one
http://www.1-877-spirits.com/store/images/large/Cruzan-Single-Barrel-Estate-lg.jpg

but I was wondering if this bottle
http://thirstyinla.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cruzan-single-barrel.jpg
is the same product.

Manuia (Fred Yarm) with aged rum (Plantation Barbados 5), cachaça (Leblon), lime juice, passion fruit syrup (BG Reynolds), orgeat (homemade), Angostura bitters, absinthe (St. George).

The rum combo worked very well. The cachaça perfumed the air together with the absinthe, while the Barbados grounded the cocktail. Fruit and spices, orgeat in the background. I wish this syrup were a tad bit more sour like real passion fruit.

19653625653_9947d60064_z.jpg

hello,

I was looking for a Puertorican rum to make zombies or other tiki drinks. I wanted something else than the bacardi 8 años so I asked around to bartenders and they advised me either Cruzan or DonQ.

http://www.1-877-spirits.com/store/images/large/Cruzan-Single-Barrel-Estate-lg.jpg

is the same product.

Yes, it was a label change a few years ago. If memory serves the Single Estate bottle and label has since changed again. It now comes in a squatty shaped bottle rather than the tall wine bottle shape. While it is a Puerto Rican/Cuban style rum Cruzan is made in the VI's.  DonQ is a major Puerto Rican rum producer. Of the Puerto Rican rums I like Ron del Barrilito but it may be harder to come by. At least I don't see it around as much.

There is also a small company called Bacardi that used to make rum in Cuba and now makes rum in Puerto Rico (among other places).

It is so so at best... :cool:

~tanstaafl2

hello,

is the same product.

Yes, it was a label change a few years ago. If memory serves the Single Estate bottle and label has since changed again. It now comes in a squatty shaped bottle rather than the tall wine bottle shape. While it is a Puerto Rican/Cuban style rum Cruzan is made in the VI's.  DonQ is a major Puerto Rican rum producer. Of the Puerto Rican rums I like Ron del Barrilito but it may be harder to come by. At least I don't see it around as much.

There is also a small company called Bacardi that used to make rum in Cuba and now makes rum in Puerto Rico (among other places).

It is so so at best... :cool:

In fact if you find that older cream colored label bottling that might be worth buying. It is at least 5 years old if not more.

I feel like Cruzan has dropped in overall quality a bit over time. But that is purely subjective on my part.

~tanstaafl2

• 4 weeks later...

Pamplemousse Punch (Wayne Curtis in Beachbum Berry Remixed) with white grapefruit juice (pink), spiced rum (Captain Morgan 1671), Clement creole shrubb, Angostura bitters, herbsaint or Pernod (St. George absinthe). Glasses by Tiki Tony.

That cocktail would be better if Captain Morgan 1671 was not so damn sweet/chocolatey. I will be happy when that bottle is gone. Kraken would be nicer, or maybe it's finally time to make my own spiced rum.

20047981514_a5d6d11f65_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That cocktail would be better if Captain Morgan 1671 was not so damn sweet/chocolatey. I will be happy when that bottle is gone. Kraken would be nicer, or maybe it's finally time to make my own spiced rum.

I find Kraken rather awful - make your own spiced! It can't be hard.

Of the commercial spiced rums, Chairman's Reserve and Don Q are my favorites. You can make a very good one by employing your favorite recipe for homemade falernum, diluting to taste, and stopping short of adding sugar.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Josh at Inu a Kena likes Chairman's Reserve spiced rum too. He rated his own spiced rum (made using a Martin Cate recipe) against the commercially available ones, but he still preferred Chairman's Reserve by a wide margin.

I think it's funny that Chairman's Reserve makes a spiced rum. I never saw it in St Lucia. Because there, everyone makes their own. At the farmers' market there were bottles after bottles of homemade spiced rums, stuffed with a bunch of local spices. If I remember correctly this was mostly cinnamon (or cassia bark), mace, vanilla, cloves, star anise, bay leaf, allspice, etc. Maybe top it off with some falernum.

Rooftop Queen's Park. 

11960007_968398896560737_117032687800964

• Like 4

DrunkLab.tumblr.com