• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

bmdaniel

I should note however, that the Queen's Park Swizzle is a pre-tiki drink, of the sort the magnificent Cane & Table in New Orleans specialize in.

• 3 months later...

Feeling like a Zombie tonight... (Don the Beachcomber, 1934) Plantation Barbados 5 years, Appleton 12 years Jamaican rum, Lemon Hart 151 demerara rum, lime juice, Don's mix (oro blanco grapefruit + homemade cinnamon syrup), falernum, Angostura bitters, grenadine, St George absinthe.

Feeling like a Zombie tonight... Don the Beachcomber, 1934 with Plantation Barbados 5 years, Appleton 12 years Jamaican rum, Lemon Hart 151 demerara rum, lime juice, Don's mix, falernum, Angostura bitters, grenadine, St George absinthe

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Feeling like a Zombie tonight... (Don the Beachcomber, 1934) Plantation Barbados 5 years, Appleton 12 years Jamaican rum, Lemon Hart 151 demerara rum, lime juice, Don's mix (oro blanco grapefruit + homemade cinnamon syrup), falernum, Angostura bitters, grenadine, St George absinthe.

Feeling like a Zombie tonight... Don the Beachcomber, 1934 with Plantation Barbados 5 years, Appleton 12 years Jamaican rum, Lemon Hart 151 demerara rum, lime juice, Don's mix, falernum, Angostura bitters, grenadine, St George absinthe

Where do you find Lemon Hart these days?

I feel like a zombie tonight, but that was after drinking mai tais,

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I stockpiled a while ago. I have enough for a few years. :)

And you never warned us.  Thankfully I have a few precious ounces left.

I have an unopened bottle of Hamilton 151 to try, but am waiting on the grapefruit.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And you never warned us.  Thankfully I have a few precious ounces left.

I have an unopened bottle of Hamilton 151 to try, but am waiting on the grapefruit.

It's funny. I just got grapefruit in my CSA last week and that is what inspired me to make a Daiquiri No. 3 and then the Zombie last night. It was so fresh that its taste was more pronounced than usual in the cocktail, which was pretty great.

3 hours ago, Craig E said:

Are y'all talking white, pink, or red grapefruit?

Oh god, white, it has to be white! (Not a big fan of pink grapefruit in cocktails...) They are indeed harder to find but that's all I use.

• Like 2

I love your tiki mug, FP - haven't seen him before.

It seemed to be the right night for a Mai Tai a couple of evenings ago, but now I need to make more orgeat and Curaçao!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

15 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Oh god, white, it has to be white! (Not a big fan of pink grapefruit in cocktails...) They are indeed harder to find but that's all I use.

They're very rare where I live. Like, maybe for a short window once a year if we're lucky. Sometimes not at all. But I've found that, though not ideal, even packaged white grapefruit juice tastes better to me in most drinks I use it in than fresh pink/red does. I know that's one of the 7 deadly cocktail sins, using packaged juice, but I honestly think it tastes better in most tiki drinks than the pink/red stuff. Even a grapefruit dominant drink like the Reverb Crash. Obviously not as good as fresh... but better than the substitute.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 9/10/2015 at 2:20 PM, Hassouni said:

I should note however, that the Queen's Park Swizzle is a pre-tiki drink, of the sort the magnificent Cane & Table in New Orleans specialize in.

Speaking of pre-tiki drinks, one of my new favorites is the similarly named Queen's Park Hotel Super Cocktail that I learned about from Jeff Berry's Potions of the Caribbean.  I keep going back to this one over and over.  Very unique drink with a unique flavor.

• Like 1

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

1 hour ago, brinza said:

Speaking of pre-tiki drinks, one of my new favorites is the similarly named Queen's Park Hotel Super Cocktail that I learned about from Jeff Berry's Potions of the Caribbean.  I keep going back to this one over and over.  Very unique drink with a unique flavor.

Sounds like a perfect role for The Scarlet Ibis. Might have to whip up a few of these for Christmas to try it out!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 1 month later...

Pineapple and Fernet in a base of Lemon Hart 151 rum, with some Benedictine & Angostura marrying all the flavors together. Winner!!! And fun too.

Free Rider (Billy Helmkamp via Gaz Regan) with Lemon Hart 151 demerara rum, Benedictine, Fernet-Branca, pineapple juice, lime juice, demerara syrup, Angostura bitters.

24204253969_96fd43ca6e_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse
clarification (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heaven is a Place/This is The Place (Paul McGee) with Tanqueray London dry gin, lime juice, Cointreau (substituted for Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao), homemade falernum, honey syrup, St Elizabeth allspice dram, Angostura bitters.

All the spice with an assertive gin like the Tanqueray makes for a very interesting drink. This is layered and tasty.

24706910722_e6b966ab51_h.jpg

• Like 2

@ananthI have a few. ;)

Three Dots and a Dash (Don the Beachcomber via Jeff Berry) with La Favorite cœur de rhum aged agricole, El Dorado 8 Demerara rum, lime juice, cara cara orange juice, homemade falernum, allspice dram, homey syrup, Angostura bitters. The only reason I don't make this more often is because it's a bit hard for me to get La Favorite cœur de rhum. Because that is one spectacular drink!

(I went back to the Jeff Berry version. The small amount of orange juice is nice in that one. I am not sure using dry curacao a la Paul McGee is a better option.)

24569328950_f50dc24046_h.jpg

On December 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM, brinza said:

We made these for our pre-super bowl game drink.  At first I thought it was going to be way too sweet with the grenadine and sweet vermouth but the bitters and lime juice make for a two dimensional experience....sweet then not sweet.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago was Arizona Cocktail Week and as part of the Artisanal Marketplace we served up a drink to the masses that we called Waiting for Watube (recipe by Micah Olson). We made a batch for sitting in the backyard this weekend. Gotta love how Montenegro and pineapple play together.

• 1 oz Plantation 5yr Barbados
  • 0.5oz Hamilton Gold Jamaica
  • 0.5oz Montenegro
  • 0.75oz lime
  • 0.75oz pineapple syrup (1:1 fresh pineapple juice and sugar)
  • Quick shake with crushed ice and dump all into glass
  • 4 dashes aromatic bitters (AZBL Mi Casa) floated on top
  • dehydrated lime wheel garnish

tiki.jpg

[Host's note: this topic is part of an extended discussion that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 3

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com