• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

bmdaniel

My Tai

0.75oz Skipper Demerera

0.75oz Smith & Cross

1.25oz Trois Riveries Blanc

1.25oz Lime

0.75oz Pierre Ferrand Curaçao

0.5 oz Orgeat

0.25oz Vanilla Syrup.

Shake, cubed ice, crown with crushed, lime husk with bitters dashed on and large mint sprig for garnish.

My ounces are 20ml for ease of multiplying and dividing and because you don't like the metric system, but these are my ratios.

I also agree that absinthe in dashes doesn't matter. Just use the cheapest real distilled absinthe you have. Pernod Absinthe and La Fee are both fine. The latter have just released an all natural verte, which is nice, but really it doesn't matter in such small quantities.

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I rather like falernum instead of lime juice. One each of two rums, half each of falernum, orgeat and curaçao. With a float of Smoke & Oakum Gunpowder Rum, which is a luxury I'm aware most of you won't be able to share.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Busted Barrel is the first product of a two person distillery. The rum went on sale last month. My bottle is from batch 2. I have no connection other than geographical proximity. I can't wait to try the barrel aged.

http://www.jerseyartisandistilling.com/#!OUR STORY/c18bc

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...

Does this count as a tiki drink? Falernum and lime are there - on the other hand there isn't any rum and the glassware has no face. And it contains elderflower. And there are a very restrained five ingredients only.

Ninth Ward

Brother Cleve, Tales of the Cocktail 2008

1 1/2 oz Bourbon
3/4 oz Falernum

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/2 oz St. Germain

2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Thanks for sharing this. I made it with a homemade elderflower cordial and Buffalo Trace bourbon. Still haven't got around to making a batch of falernum.

It does have a certain tiki vibe to it as you wrote. It's a very nice cocktail; I made it two nights in a row! And I liked it much better than its inspiration the Ward Eight...

9681272487_ff93f4c9fd_z.jpg

I made a pair of Gold Cups last night, a recipe found while looking for orgeat + absinthe combos in the Kindred Cocktails database (Demerara rum, lime juice, maraschino liqueur, orgeat, simple syrup, absinthe, mint garnish).

I decided to try it even though it would not have the proper ice veil garnish... but life is too short for this kind of nonsense. This was delicious and a great use of St. George absinthe.

10338471625_c75796c366_z.jpg

I ended up using only 1/4 of simple syrup as my homemade orgeat is quite sweet already.

The recipe from Jeff Berry calls for gold/amber Jamaican rum but I went with the 5-year El Dorado demerara rum from the Clio version. The mint garnish was a nice touch too.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

I made a pair of Gold Cups last night, a recipe found while looking for orgeat + absinthe combos in the Kindred Cocktails database (Demerara rum, lime juice, maraschino liqueur, orgeat, simple syrup, absinthe, mint garnish).

I decided to try it even though it would not have the proper ice veil garnish... but life is too short for this kind of nonsense. This was delicious and a great use of St. George absinthe.

10338471625_c75796c366_z.jpg

I ended up using only 1/4 of simple syrup as my homemade orgeat is quite sweet already.

The recipe from Jeff Berry calls for gold/amber Jamaican rum but I went with the 5-year El Dorado demerara rum from the Clio version. The mint garnish was a nice touch too.

What's an ice veil?

What's an ice veil?

My term but it's essentially a hollow half cone of ice. A good example is from the Luau cocktail menu - fifth photo down. Jeff Berry describes it as "an ice shell forming a hood over the glass".

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

It does have a certain tiki vibe to it as you wrote. It's a very nice cocktail; I made it two nights in a row! And I liked it much better than its inspiration the Ward Eight...

Agreed, although I find a Ward Eight much improved if you omit the lemon, orange and grenadine :biggrin: Those are only present to compensate each other's horribleness.

Oh that does sound nice, even if I can't afford to go out and get the ingredients!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My first Fogcutter today. Made as per the Trader Vic recipe, recommended on the old Kaiser Penguin Blog.

2 Oz Light PR Rum(Angostura Reserva)

1 Oz Brandy (Ansac VSOP)

0.5 Oz Gin (Beefeater)

2 Oz Lemon Juice

1 Oz Orange Juice

0.5 Oz Orgeat(BG Reynolds, generous)

0.5 Oz Sherry (as a float, Sandeman Armada Rich Cream Olorosso)

Shake with ice and strain into a tall glass filled with crushed ice. Float Sherry on top. Add straw.

Well, I think that drink perfectly fits the description of dangerous - Very moreish and strong. I chose this after looking through several recipes, and seeing as Kaiser Penguin's reasons for thinking this one best aligned well with my drink preferences I chose it. The two ounces of lemon juice makes it bracing, but it needs that to temper the orange juice, which has a tendency to leave cocktails to watery for me. My experiments with the bottle of sherry shall continue!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having some rather nice grapefruit, I decided to make the FM from Rowen at The Fogged in Lounge

2.5 Oz Barbados Rum(okay, I cheated, Appleton V/X)

0.75 Oz Creme de Cacao (DeKuyper, no Marie Brizard in my area without mail order, I don't us it enough to justify)

2 Oz Grapefruit Juice

1 Oz Lime Juice

2-3 ds Grapefruit Bitters

Shake, strain, rocks glass, add ice.

I was suspicious of this one for a while, as a previous experiment with chocolate tiki, the Pago Pago, had not produced enjoyable results. This, however, is quite nice. Deceptively light, drinkable cocktail. I do feel it could benefit from some spice though. Maybe a dash of Angostura in place of on of the grapefruit bitters dashed, or a rinse of allspice dram. Something to consider.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How better to celebrate the acquisition of some new bottles, and to ward off the return of the -20 temps than some tiki. First up was this -

Jet Pilot (recipe from Kaiser Penguin)

1 Oz Dark Rum (Goslings)

0.75 Oz PR Gold Rum (Appleton V/X)

0.75 Oz Lemon Hat 151

0.5 Oz Falernum

0.5 Oz Cinnamon Syrup

0.5 Oz Lime Juice

0.5 Oz Grapefruit Juice

6 drops Herbsaint(3 spritzes Kubler Absinthe)

1 ds Peychauds Bitters

Blend with ice, pour into a goblet(shake with ice, strain into a goblet over crushed ice)

This was excellent. It is nice to have the ingredients to knock up some true tiki. I think the thing that makes this sing is the cinnamon syrup. I will ahve to grab some more Ceylon cinnamon soon, as my syrup is quickly running out.

Maybe not strictly tiki, but certainly in the spirit of, I also had this -

Swamp Water Fix (Cocktail Virgin Slut)

1.5 OZ Green Chartreuse

1 Oz Batavia Arrack

0.5 OZ Pineapple Juice

0.5 Oz Pineapple Syrup

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

2 drops Celery Bitters (omitted, Boker's added for complexity)

Build over crushed ice

I will never tire of Pineapple and Chartreuse as a combo. The Chartreuse Swizzle is a favorite of mine, and this is very much in the same vein. I would love to see how the Celery Bitters change it, when I do get around to purchasing them

• Like 1

How better to celebrate the acquisition of some new bottles, and to ward off the return of the -20 temps than some tiki. First up was this -

Jet Pilot (recipe from Kaiser Penguin)

1 Oz Dark Rum (Goslings)

0.75 Oz PR Gold Rum (Appleton V/X)

0.75 Oz Lemon Hat 151

0.5 Oz Falernum

0.5 Oz Cinnamon Syrup

0.5 Oz Lime Juice

0.5 Oz Grapefruit Juice

6 drops Herbsaint(3 spritzes Kubler Absinthe)

1 ds Peychauds Bitters

Blend with ice, pour into a goblet(shake with ice, strain into a goblet over crushed ice)

This was excellent. It is nice to have the ingredients to knock up some true tiki. I think the thing that makes this sing is the cinnamon syrup. I will ahve to grab some more Ceylon cinnamon soon, as my syrup is quickly running out.

The Jet Pilot was created at Stephen Crane's restaurant The Luau, and is a variation on Don the Beachcomber's Test Pilot. The recipe was unearthed & adapted by Jeff Berry for Sippin' Safari, and posted verbatim on the Kaiser Penguin blog. Note that it uses Angostura rather than Peychaud's bitters. I can't think of a Tiki drink that uses Peychaud's.

I might have to make myself one tonight - I have a ton of citrus and a batch of homemade falernum, so that sounds like a plan. Last time I had one was back in November - this beauty concocted by Christian Siglin at Banker's Hill, with banana-infused Smith & Cross, aged Flor de Cana, El Dorado 15, housemade falernum, St. George absinthe, etc. It was ridiculously good.

11056741023_d91a31ea0b_z.jpg

• Like 2

Holy crap, banana-infused Smith & Cross. Great rum choices there.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937