• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

bmdaniel

If a drink calls for an 80 proof white rum and a 151 demerara in equal amounts would using an overproof white like Wray & Nephew and an 80 proof demerara be a reasonable approximation in a pinch? Something tells me it's probably not that simple but I've never minded being the one to ask the dumb questions. :biggrin:

I've done it, though usually when it calls specifically for an 80-proof Jamaican and 151-proof Demerara. It's not the same, but it often makes a damn fine drink.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

What I'm trying to do is work out a way I can make a reasonable version of a Jet Pilot without using Bacardi 151. On the Pegu blog they sub white rum for the Puerto Rican gold rum (not Jamaican though, their version calls for Mount Gay Eclipse silver). So what it comes down to is making some big changes or using Bacardi 151. So the next task was trying to keep the flavor profile somewhere in the ballpark within the boundaries of the changes being made. I've accepted that it won't be authentic but I was hoping I could end up with something that would let me see what the original was about. I wonder if using the right rum flavor profile and not worrying about the jet fuel (overproof) aspect would be a better idea in this case?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The recipe I'm looking at for the Jet Pilot in Sippin' Safari calls for 1 oz. dark Jamaican, 3/4 oz. gold Puerto Rican and 3/4 oz. 151-proof Demerara. Is that not the recipe you're using? If it is, I'd probably start with something like 1.5 oz. 80-proof Demerara (the older, the better), 0.5 oz. gold Puerto Rican and 1 oz. J. Wray, and then mess with the proportions from there until I found something I liked.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

The recipe you have is the one I planned to use. Then I saw a version on the Pegu blog that subs Mt. Gay silver for the gold Puerto Rican (I don't remember it mentioning any specific reason why). I thought if I used their recipe but subbed an overproof white for the Mt. Gay silver since I'd be using an 80 proof demerara that maybe I'd end up with something similar to their version. I'll give it a try with your suggestions.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I think, in general, the light-bodied rums used in Tiki drinks are pretty much interchangeable, so you could easily sub a white rum for the light Puerto Rican rum and not notice a difference. If my liver feels up to it later this week, I may give the original and the suggestion I made above a try side-by-side and see what they're like.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

The original recipe calls for gold PR and not white, so If you don't have a gold PR (Ron del Barralito or Bacardi 8 would be my first choices. Yes, Bacardi does still make at least 1 decent rum.), I would sub with another smooth aged gold rum.

as for the eternal question on how to sub for LH 151, my first (far from perfect) choice would be to sub with Goslings 151 which is far more agreeable than Bacardi. IF you like the high hogo funk of J Wray (I certainly do), I would absolutely say go for the J Wray substitution you suggested. But if you are just looking to approach the original proof of the drink and don't really dig J Wray I think you would be happier subbing based on rum styles and not proof.

I do feel your pain. Alas, we're ofter not that much better stocked here in Florida. Definitely run with the J Wray and just keep in mind that the resulting drink (which I'm sure will be excellent) will not have much taste resemblance to the drink as originally formulated.

So I guess my next question would be: is there a point where you can shoot yourself in the foot trying to maintain some level of "craft"? Wouldn't using Bacardi for the 151 and replacing the gold PR with an 80 demerara be closer to authentic than any of the other scenarios presented here? Maybe pull the 151 back to 1/2 oz and bump the demerara to 1 oz. Yes, I'm well aware of exactly how "wonderful" Bacardi 151 is. I remember it from my college years. But with 1 oz of Jamaican and 1 oz of demerara sitting on it along with the other ingredients wouldn't it be contributing more firepower than flavor? I don't know, I don't have much experience in this area, it just makes sense in my head.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Tried a Saturn tonight, from Beachbum Berry Remixed. It looks a little funny on paper, with passion fruit syrup, orgeat, falernum and gin, but it's actually a pretty cool combination of flavours. The again, maybe that's just pride stemming from the fact that all three of the syrups were homemade.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I'll have to check that one out Matt. I'm on a tiki kick anyway and gin is always a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a Saturn tonight, from Beachbum Berry Remixed. It looks a little funny on paper, with passion fruit syrup, orgeat, falernum and gin, but it's actually a pretty cool combination of flavours. The again, maybe that's just pride stemming from the fact that all three of the syrups were homemade.

I just got my copy of Remixed a week ago--that one actually sounds good--I'll have to give it a try. It's a little discouraging, though, what with so many recipes calling for demarara rum of some kind, but I should be able to get El Dorado without much trouble, even though I can't get LH.

I made the Dead Bastard for my wife, a friend, and myself. That's right; skipped the Suffering and Dying and went straight to Dead. It was a big hit (especially surprised that my wife liked it, since it contains not one ingredient that she would knowingly request).

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

If you're in New York, an interesting tiki drink to try is Audrey's "Re-Animator" down at Pegu Club. It's got La Favorite Blanc, Lemon Hart 151, Green Chartreuse, house-made ginger beer, lime juice, demerara syrup, Cholula hot sauce, Angostura bitters and freshly grated nutmeg. It packs 3 1/2 ounces of booze, and the "weakest" spirit is 100 proof! Anyway, it's a fun drink and interesting for being a tiki drink that clearly still has a foot in the Pegu Club cocktail aesthetic.

• Like 1

--

If you're in New York, an interesting tiki drink to try is Audrey's "Re-Animator" down at Pegu Club. It's got La Favorite Blanc, Lemon Hart 151, Green Chartreuse, house-made ginger beer, lime juice, demerara syrup, Cholula hot sauce, Angostura bitters and freshly grated nutmeg. It packs 3 1/2 ounces of booze, and the "weakest" spirit is 100 proof! Anyway, it's a fun drink and interesting for being a tiki drink that clearly still has a foot in the Pegu Club cocktail aesthetic.

And for anyone not in New York who was as intrigued and curious as I was after reading this, the recipe is available on Audrey's write-up on the Starchefs site.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've begun stocking up on some things in anticipation of warmer weather and getting back into tiki mode and I was planning to order several of the BG Reynolds syrups. I know... I should make my own and I have many times but I've decided I want the convenience of not having to plan ahead sometimes. The question I have is, their website says they have a 30-day refrigerated shelf life once opened. Has that been the experience of those who've used them? I was hoping, once opened, to toss them in the fridge and use them up through the summer. If I'm going to have to replace them every month even if they're not empty, I probably won't bother after all.

That sounds encouraging. Thanks!

Where are you going to order them from?

Okole Maluna seems to be the best option I've found. Shipping cost isn't great but no worse than most coming from the U.S. I haven't been able to dig up a source in Canada.

If you're not in too much of a rush, you might try contacting BYOB and see if they can help you out. I don't think they carry that line right now, but they might be willing to start.

Thanks Matt. I wish they had an online store so I could see what they do have but I wouldn't want to ask them to bring anything in for me. I wouldn't be buying it very often.

• 1 month later...

We went to the Bali Hai restaurant last night and had a couple of classic tiki drinks: their take on the Zombie (on the left in the picture, which the menu describes as "three rums, peach brandy, guava, pineapple juice & Lemon Hart 151 for a touch of spice") and my favorite which is one of their signature drinks, the Goof Punch (Lemon Hart Demerara rum, Coruba Jamaican dark rum, light rum, passion fruit syrup, and a blend of fruit juices) - dangerously smooth.

6849616236_f2da4f02f9_z.jpg

Given that you are in Rhode Island, know of any good places in the state or even in Mass to get tiki drinks.

Nope. For a while I tried 'em here and there, but the usual suspects use mixes. What we really need to do is convince one of the true cocktail haunts to do a tiki night....

I haven't worked up the courage to try them at Jackie's galaxy yet.

Egad. Please, please don't.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts