• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yucatan Fruit Stands

Does anyone out there know what the street vendors selling sliced fruit throughout the Yucatan use to spice it up? There's a chile powder of some kind for heat (possibly mixed with citrus zest or citric acid) and a reddish syrup which is drizzled over the various freshly sliced fruits.

At almost all the So Cal grocery stores, and every Mexican grocery store they sell the powders which can be chili and salt, or sweetened versions. Some of the brands I buy are Pico De Gallo, Baby Lucas (sweetened), and Tajin. I avoid the ones with the limon flavor because it usually tastes artificial. The liquid is tamarind based I believe and is called chamoy. Lots of online sources for all of them.

Edited by Goatjunky (log)