• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Kerry Beal

Coffee Cakes - Bake-off XVII

The problem is with the questions, not the answers. If you know what the questions are, you can find the answers. Now I am such a novice at this baking life, that I didn't even know there were questions about how to make sure a bundt cake was done or how to make sure it didn't stick in the pan. So I didn't ask.

Now I know. Yes, my cake was fully baked and is delicious. I baked it a very long time. The old toothpick trick wasn't all that useful, because the pick had to travel through a layer of interior streusel which would not come clean because of its very nature.

However my bundt cake is also in a great number of pieces. It wasn't the cake that stuck. It was the streusel. And stick it did. Despite all my greasing and flouring. Who knew?

Well, now I do. No more bundt cakes for me for a while. We'll eat it and they can all laugh at me and I shall remain above the frey, concentrating on loftier thoughts. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the help. What a week. My first springform cheesecake slips and falls through its collar and my first bundt cake is in tatters. At least my blueberry loaves came true on the second try (well, I screwed up the first ones sort of and they turned out more colorful than needed, that sort of gray-purple color).

Please do not hire me to cater your next big fancy do! :wacko:

The problem is with the questions, not the answers.  If you know what the questions are, you can find the answers.  Now I am such a novice at this baking life, that I didn't even know there were questions about how to make sure a bundt cake was done or how to make sure it didn't stick in the pan.  So I didn't ask.

Now I know.  Yes, my cake was fully baked and is delicious.  I baked it a very long time.  The old toothpick trick wasn't all that useful, because the pick had to travel through a layer of interior streusel which would not come clean because of its very nature.

However my bundt cake is also in a great number of pieces.  It wasn't the cake that stuck.  It was the streusel.  And stick it did.  Despite all my greasing and flouring.  Who knew?

Well, now I do.  No more bundt cakes for me for a while.  We'll eat it and they can all laugh at me and I shall remain above the frey, concentrating on loftier thoughts. :rolleyes: 

Thanks to all for the help.  What a week.  My first springform cheesecake slips and falls through its collar and my first bundt cake is in tatters.  At least my blueberry loaves came true on the second try (well, I screwed up the first ones sort of and they turned out more colorful than needed, that sort of gray-purple color).

Please do not hire me to cater your next big fancy do! :wacko:

Bummer about all the problems. When doing a bundt cake with streusel, you do really need to butter the pan well. But, always start with cake batter first, then layer your streusel and more batter, ending with batter. Some streusels can be more sticky. But, as long as the pan is buttered well, it should be fine. Most bundt cakes or any cake in that type of pan, generally take at least an hour to bake.

For blueberry or any berry cake, it usually works best to fold the fruit in gently by hand at the very end. Frozen will work well, just add it last and fold gently. Shouldn't have smurf muffins or cake that way ;). I've seen lots of that.

While in Japan I was surprised to discover that what they mean by 'coffee cake' is cake flavored with actual coffee. I also recently had a woman from India ask me for a good coffee cake recipe because she misses 'cake with a good strong coffee flavor.'

I personally don't like coffee, so I am not interested in making such a cake. I was just wondering about how common this use of the term is outside of the US. -And, if it refers to a particular type of product or is as loosely applied as it is here.

The cake I tried in Japan was the cake style, with coffee flavoring the streusel.

I enjoy both styles, but have not perfected a recipe for either. When I lived in Santa Fe (high altitude) I would use the one egg high altitude cake recipe from the 1980's Joy of Cooking and add an improvised struesel topping of butter, sugar, flour and nuts with a dash of nutmeg & cinnamon. At sea level the recipe is really different, even after adjusting and changing the volume measurements to weight measures. So, I haven't been happy about this for 14 years and am looking forward to seeing what others post in this thread.

Happy Baking all!

At sea level the recipe is really different, even after adjusting and changing the volume measurements to weight measures. So, I haven't been happy about this for 14 years and am looking forward to seeing what others post in this thread.

Lisa, is there a rule of thumb for adjusting for sea level elevation for baking?

Hi R Wood, Lisa Schock et al,

Yes there are specific rules for altering leavening and cooking temps and times for high altitudes and some one else will know them better than I. We lived at 4500' for 6 months last year and I had a chart to help me. There's lots on the web about this.

The Smurf effect...I like that...was because I did something stupid. I answered the phone, forgot to put in the milk before the berries and had to remix the batter.

The bundt thingy. The cake tastes great but I have decided to give it to the young family down the road. They received all my attempts at cake decorating a couple of years ago and my confectionery output (we had to get it out of the house!) so here comes the raggy bundt. I'll make another cake...maybe even with coffe this time. :biggrin: AND in a 9x13 pan for sure!

Thanks for all the help. :wub:

I went through a period of making a bunch of different coffee cakes, trying to get one similar to what I used to get at a bakery in Summit, New Jersey (Trost's). Unfortunately, I never succeeded, but I did end up finding this pippin:

Moist Coffee Cake

I was trying to make something similar to this recipe. Either my streusel wouldn't clump together enough, or it would sink through the cake (even if I added it after baking for a bit). They also had a tasty blueberry cake that had a blueberry jam-type thing spread all over the top. That was delicious. Maybe I will start trying again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Chocolate cake with plums

The first cake I ever dared to bake by myself was a chocolate cake. I have since baked it many times, always using the same recipe, and many times I have spoiled it at the beginning of preparation. It is necessary to cool down the chocolate mixture before adding the rest of the ingredients. On a hot summer day this process is very long, so I accelerated it by putting the pot with the mixture into some cold water in the kitchen sink. Many times, by mistake, I turned on the tap and poured water onto the cooling mixture. In hindsight these situations were amusing, but at the time it wasn't funny.

This chocolate cake is excellent without any additives. You can enrich it with your favourite nuts or butter icing. Today I added some plums to the top of the cake. It was great and its sweet chocolate-plum aroma lingered long in my home.

Ingredients (25cm cake tin):
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 tablespoons of cocoa
      120g of brown sugar
      15ml of almond milk
      100g of dark chocolate
      1 egg
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      plums

Heat the oven up to 180C. Smooth the cake tin with the butter and sprinkle with dark cocoa.
      Put the butter, milk, sugar, cocoa and chocolate into the pan. Heat it until the chocolate is melted and all the ingredients have blended together well. Leave the mixture to cool down. Add the egg, flour and baking soda and mix them in. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the plums, cut them in half and remove the stones. Arrange the plum halves skin side down on top of the cake. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Plum tart with almonds

Starting from the first half of August, in the shops and on stands appear the first domestic plums. In September there are so many of them that I have a problem deciding which kind I should choose. Small and big, round and more ovate, violet, red and yellow. You can eat them fresh or make a lot of preserves (jams, plum stew, stewed fruits, pickles, liqueurs, plum brandy). Our favorite are big and round greengage plums, or slightly firm violet plums.

Plums have a lot of valuable attributes. They regulate digestion and protect us from free radicals. Dried plums are more valuable regarding vitamin and fiber content, but they have five times more calories than fresh fruits.

Plums have quite a lot B vitamins, so for a long time they have been well regarded for having a soothing effect on the nervous system and improving our frame of mind. That's why you simply have to make a plum cake. Either now or when the dreary autumn days arrive. Their benign impact on the nerves could be a good excuse for putting another piece of cake on your plate.

I don't like complicated cookery. In this recipe you will find a lot of ingredients, but even so, preparing this delicious cake is very simple.

Ingredients:
      Dough:
      250g of flour
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      8g of vanilla sugar
      3 tablespoons of sugar
      150ml of 18% cream
      150g of butter
      Filling:
      600g of plums
      1 egg white
      3 tablespoons of minced almonds
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      200g of plum stew
      1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      Crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      3-4 tablespoons of flour
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      8g of vanilla sugar
      1 egg yolk
      Mix together the dry ingredients for the dough: flour, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add cream. Mince the butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Quickly knead into smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for half an hour.

Heat the oven up to 200C. Cover a baking pan (e.g. for a tart) with the dough, leaving the edges slightly raised around the sides. Whisk the egg white and cover the dough with it. Sprinkle with the almonds and brown sugar. Bake for 14 minutes. Take it out of the oven. Don't turn off the oven.

Make the crumble topping when the dough is in the oven. Melt the butter, cool it a bit then add the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolk. Mix it with a fork until you have lumps.

Clean the plums, cut them into halves and remove the stones. Cover the baked base with plum stew, add the plums and sprinkle with cinnamon and the crumble topping. Bake for 20 minutes.

• By Kasia
      Pineapple and coconut – the ideal couple

Today, inspired by the recipes from the book "Zielone koktajle. 365 przepisów" ("Green cocktails. 365 recipes") I prepared a light coconut-pineapple dessert. You may make it without sugar if you have enough sweet fruit. If your pineapple isn't very ripe, add a bit of honey to your dessert.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      fruit mousse
      1 pineapple
      300ml of coconut milk
      1 banana
      150ml of orange juice
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      decoration
      50g of butter
      1 tablespoon of caster sugar
      4 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      4 slices of orange
      fruit

Blend all the ingredients of the fruit mousse. Put it into some glasses and leave in the fridge. Put the desiccated coconut, sugar and butter into a pan. Fry constantly, stirring on a low heat until the butter is melted. Leave to cool down a bit. Put 2-3 tablespoons of it on top of the desserts. Decorate with a slice of orange, fruit and some peppermint leaves before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Smile of the summer – apricot-peach shortcake

Fortunately, the summer is not only about the weather. There is also fresh, sweet-smelling fruit. Today I would like to share with you the recipe for an easy to make weekend cake. It is excellent for afternoon tea or coffee. A little work and a little baking and after that you may serve and eat, and serve and eat again and again ... I remind you that it should be a weekend cake, so if you eat everything at once, you will need to bake another one 

Ingredients:
      dough
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      75g of sugar
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      1 teaspoon of baking powder

fruit:
      1kg of apricot
      4 peaches
      2 packets of powdered vanilla blancmange
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter onto a baking board. Chop it all up with a knife. When you have the consistency of crumble topping, add the egg and egg yolk and then knead the dough quickly. Divide the dough into two parts – 2/3 and 1/3. Cover the pieces of dough with plastic wrap and put them into the freezer.
      Wash the apricots, remove the stones and cube them. Put them into a saucepan, add a bit of water and boil until they are soft. Stir the blancmange powder in 150ml of cold water and add it to the apricots. Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Turn off the heat. Wash the peaches, remove the stones and cube them. Add them to the apricots and mix them in.
      Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Smooth a 23-cm cake tin with some butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Grate the bigger part of the dough onto the cake tin, even it out and bake for 15-17 minutes. Take out the cake, but don't turn off the oven. Put the fruit mixture onto it and grate the rest of the dough onto the top. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way.