• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Cakes - Bake-off XVII

Kerry Beal

I've had a request for a Coffee Cake Bake-off.

eG has quite a variety of topics about these gems including Anatomy of a Coffee Cake Recipe and Cinnamon Cream Cake.

There are not yet a lot of recipes in recipeGullet - one is Karen's Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cake.

So what is your favorite coffee cake - do you prefer one with yeast or with baking powder?

Don't forget to post your recipes on recipeGullet.

I used to bake tons of coffee cakes at a previous job, so I experimented with lots of combinations.

I prefer baking powder recipes, not looking to get into the yeast thing.

I think one of my favorites is a Orange Cardamom with pecans that I made. I have lots of love for cardamom :wub: .

I also have a mexican chocolate with cinnamon and a caramel pecan goo. I'll have to dig the recipes out.

How do you define coffee cake? I don't know if this one will fit but it's great with coffee and it's a cake. It's a recipe from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and it's very good.

http://www.adrianliem.ca/index.php/2008/02...od-with-coffee/

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Thanks, Kerry.

RWood: I agree with no yeast. My whole purpose is to stay off my feet as much as possible right now and have something to freeze for the onslaught of people and dogs who are coming to the farm next weekend for the Annual Dog Weekend. All eGulleters invited, BTW. (No, no coffee cake for the dogs.)

Also I would love your Orange Cardamom with pecans. I absolutely adore cardamom. :wub: Please.

CanadianBakin: Looked up your recipe. Am not fond of chocolate in muffins or coffeecakes. But thanks.

OK. I need know some basic stuff. Take the Bake-Shop Muffins recipe by our own CanadianBakin in Recipe Gullet:

16 oz flour, 4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp soda, 1/2 tsp salt. 9 3/8 oz sugar, 5 oz butter, 8 1/2 oz milk, 8 1/2 oz sour cream, 2 large eggs, 1 large egg yolk. Additions: up to 1 1/2 cups fruit or chocolate and 3/4 cup nuts. plus vanilla or spices. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 mins.

To make this into a coffee cake, what size loaf pan would I use, and would I change the oven temperature and would I bake it for longer? Maybe it is not a simple transition. I don't know. I am hoping to learn.

Thanks. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Assuming it's for 12 muffins, there are tons of websites out there that offer pan conversions and hints for baking.  I'd start with a 9" loaf pan, and bake it for however long a standard loaf cake bakes.

Thank you.

It's not just not knowing the answers; it's not even really knowing the questions. But I am learning quickly. At this rate, I'll stay quick of mind forever. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Just to clarify: Bake Shop Muffins isn't my recipe it's by Joanne Chang who owns Flour Bakery & Cafe and she publishes in Fine Cooking magazine. She is just in the editing process of her first book. I can't wait!

Regarding size of pan...it makes a generous 12 muffins. I make the recipe into 18 when I want a smaller, more regular sized muffin so I think it would be too much batter for a single loaf pan. You might fit it in a 9x13 pan. I think I would top it with streusel or something. Just seems more coffee-cake like to me that way. BTW, I've never tried this so I don't know for sure that it will work.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Just to clarify: Bake Shop Muffins isn't my recipe it's by Joanne Chang who owns Flour Bakery & Cafe and she publishes in Fine Cooking magazine. She is just in the editing process of her first book. I can't wait!

Regarding size of pan...it makes a generous 12 muffins. I make the recipe into 18 when I want a smaller, more regular sized muffin so I think it would be too much batter for a single loaf pan. You might fit it in a 9x13 pan. I think I would top it with streusel or something. Just seems more coffee-cake like to me that way. BTW, I've never tried this so I don't know for sure that it will work.

Sorry that I incorrectly attributed the recipe to you. Of course, the correct attribution is printed right on top of the recipe in eGullet. I'm just a tad overwhelmed at present and didn't notice it.

I will try it this afternoon. I could try a 9x13 pan and then I would have to find out the difference in baking time, yes? I'll definitely add nuts to it. I have fresh cherries, oranges, bananas and fresh frozen blueberries and raspberries.

I have this pan with 8 small loaf sections in it. Perhaps the batter would fit that pan plus a regular loaf pan. Nothing ventured... I just have to be realistic about how I reach with each new venture. Maybe I'll buy a second 8 loaf pan.

Hmmm...I see what the recipe can entail in solids is not only 2 cups of flour but also 1 1/2 cups fruit, etc and 3/4 cup nuts giving a total of over 4 1/4 cups of batter. Quite different from only 2 cups of flour and no additions. I know it's elementary to most of you, but I thank you for your forbearance as I work it into my brain. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just added the Orange Cardamom Coffee Cake to recipegullet :).

Thank you. :smile:

ps. I even have a brand new bundt pan. A friend was given a set of various silicone pans and she has re-gifted them to me. Nice friend. :rolleyes: I'm not crazy about using silicone except for the sheets which are such a boon.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just added the Orange Cardamom Coffee Cake to recipegullet :).

Thank you. :smile:

ps. I even have a brand new bundt pan. A friend was given a set of various silicone pans and she has re-gifted them to me. Nice friend. :rolleyes: I'm not crazy about using silicone except for the sheets which are such a boon.

I've always been a little iffy on silicone pans, especially the cake and bundt pans. Won't the bottom of a bundt get flattened with it being flexible?? I think they are too wobbly myself.

Good luck though :smile:

Some of my favorites (with tweaks):

Streusel Topped Triple Berry Coffee Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/47953

Strawberry Coffee Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/67733

Tons of Blueberry Coffee Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/117026

Cranberry Swirl Coffeecake

http://www.recipezaar.com/Coffee-Cake-With...rry-Swirl-14125

Orange Marmalade Coffee Cake

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/cgibin/ubbs/U...her&DaysPrune=5

Chocolate Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake

http://www.godiva.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?id=533

Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

from Uncle Sam's Hilltop Lodge

posted at: http://www.recipezaar.com/Coffee-Cake-With...rry-Swirl-14125

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Dear Gulleters all ...

CanadianBakin for the Greenspan recipe. Have printed it out.

RWood on silicone. Interestingly enough some of the pans have been altered somewhat. The loaf pan has a ribbed pattern on the bottom (cake top) but the bottom of the pan has been reinforced with buttressing and extra bottom. The bundt pan also has a pattern but I think the patterning material on the pan bottom is sufficiently strong to hold up. I'll let you know after I use it.

Merstar, Wow! That's a lot of coffee cakes. I'll look them up ASAP.

Answers all to a Maiden's prayer. :wink:

(and I am making a chart about how long how much batter cooks in what size pan at what temperature. Learning the system behind the recipe, instead of simply following the recipe. )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hello Merstar,

Unless I am mistaken, something is amiss here. There is no Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake at this URL, just a repeat of the Cranberry cake.

...or was this a test to see if I was paying attention or not?...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hello Merstar,

Unless I am mistaken, something is amiss here. There is no Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake at this URL, just a repeat of the Cranberry cake.

...or was this a test to see if I was paying attention or not?...

Ha! You passed the test with flying colors!

I couldn't edit my previous post, so here's a link to the recipe (couldn't find the original source, but this is the same recipe):

http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/2007/04/cake_18.html

I couldn't edit my previous post, so here's a link to the recipe (couldn't find the original source, but this is the same recipe):

Looks delicious, but unfortunately for my current needs doesn't look like a candidate for freezing. But so yummy. Thanks, Merstar

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Looks delicious, but unfortunately for my current needs doesn't look like a candidate for freezing. But so yummy. Thanks, Merstar

Darienne,

I've frozen this with good results - not to worry.

Darienne,

I've frozen this with good results - not to worry.

You're on. Tomorrow.

Just noticed a slight difference between the recipe I have, and the one on the link: the one I have uses 1/2 cup raspberry preserves - the linked one uses 3/4 cup. Also, the linked one doesn't specify to use very cold butter, sliced. I'm going to PM you the exact one I use.

Edited by merstar (log)

As noted elsewhere under disasters in the kitchen, the clip on my springform pan slipped open...it was my very first use of a springform pan...and the cake was not a delight to view. By the time it was fully baked, the messy angle of the topping was not nearly as visible as it was before baking and after being clumsily repacked into the pan. Another learning experience.

I am still waiting for RWoods' recipes for Mexican chocolate with cinnamon and a caramel pecan goo.

I am about to attempt the Orange Cardamom cake next. Perhaps it will not fall...or should I say, I won't drop it. Or create some other kind of disaster. My t-shirt is already wet from hurriedly leaning off it after trying to fill the ice cream cookie sandwiches. Busy, busy, busy. :wacko:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

As noted elsewhere under disasters in the kitchen, the clip on my springform pan slipped open...it was my very first use of a springform pan...and the cake was not a delight to view.  By the time it was fully baked, the messy angle of the topping was not nearly as visible as it was before baking and after being clumsily repacked into the pan.  Another learning experience.

I am still waiting for RWoods' recipes for Mexican chocolate with cinnamon and a caramel pecan goo.

I am about to attempt the Orange Cardamom cake next.  Perhaps it will not fall...or should I say, I won't drop it.  Or create some other kind of disaster.  My t-shirt is already wet from hurriedly leaning off it after trying to fill the ice cream cookie sandwiches.  Busy, busy, busy.  :wacko:

I found the recipe for the mexican chocolate. It's probably more of a bundt cake than coffee cake, but it can be whatever you want.

I will divide the recipe down. The original makes 5, and I don't think you want to deal with that :). I'll put it in recipegullet.

I found the recipe for the mexican chocolate.  It's probably more of a bundt cake than coffee cake, but it can be whatever you want.

I will divide the recipe down. The original makes 5, and I don't think you want to deal with that :).  I'll put it in recipegullet.

Thank you again. I should have noted that the Orange Cardamom Coffee Cake recipe came from you.

It's finally out of the oven and resting quietly on a cooling rack. :hmmm: I'll decant it later, hoping for the best.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I found the recipe for the mexican chocolate.  It's probably more of a bundt cake than coffee cake, but it can be whatever you want.

I will divide the recipe down. The original makes 5, and I don't think you want to deal with that :).  I'll put it in recipegullet.

Thank you again. I should have noted that the Orange Cardamom Coffee Cake recipe came from you.

It's finally out of the oven and resting quietly on a cooling rack. :hmmm: I'll decant it later, hoping for the best.

Here is this one. Recipegullet is being annoying and won't upload.

Mexican Chocolate Bundt Cake

Servings: 12

We experimented with adding a little ancho chili powder to the cakes as well, so that's an option if a more spicy cake is wanted.

Cake

12 oz unsalted butter

3/4 c cocoa powder

1-1/3 c water

3 c sugar

3 eggs

3/4 c buttermilk

2 T vanilla

3 c flour

1-1/4 tsp baking soda

1 T cinnamon

3/4 tsp salt

Chocolate Pecan Glaze

2 c pecans, toasted

2 oz unsalted butter

2 oz half and half

1/4 c powdered sugar

5 oz bittersweet chocolate

1/4 tsp salt

Cake:

Butter and flour bundt pan. Oven 325.

Melt butter in saucepan. Whisk in cocoa, then water until smooth. Remove from heat.

Whisk is one at a time-sugar, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla.

Sift together dry ingredients.

Combine drys with cocoa mixture, whisk until smooth.

Pour into pan and bake until tests done.

Glaze:

Melt butter, whisk in half and half, then powdered sugar. Add chocolate, and melt over low heat, stirring until smooth.

Remove from heat, add pecans and salt.

Let cool until thickened. Pour over cooled cake.

I'll also post one for what one customer always called my jewish style coffee cake. I always called it swirled. It was very popular.

And here is the other one.

Jewish Style Coffee Cake

Streusel:

1 1/4 c walnuts, coarsely chopped

1 1/4 c brown sugar

4 1/2 tsp cinnamon

4 1/2 tsp cocoa

6 T currants

Combine and set aside.

Cake:

3 c flour

1 1/2 t baking soda

1 1/2 t baking powder

3/4 t salt

Sift together.

6 oz butter

1 1/2 c sugar

3 eggs

1 lb sour cream

1 T vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy

Add eggs and vanilla, scraping bowl well.

Alternate drys and sour cream. After last addition, beat on high for 1 minute.

Butter bundt pan well, flour and knock out excess.

Alternate cake batter and streusel, usually 3 batter and 2 streusel.

Bake at 325 till done.