• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staffordshire Oatcakes

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Those are so enticing. I think "blood temp" is the same as what you dab on your wrist when checking a baby bottle. 

Probably.  There is a similar recipe in The Modern Cook's Year and her instructions say "body temperature."  

I still think "blood temperature" sounds unpleasant in a recipe.  And whose blood, anyway?  A cold-blooded assassin?  A hot-blooded young lothario?  Not to mention that human body temperatures are reported to be decreasing.  I used a thermometer and went with 97.5°F to account for that. 

• Haha 1

Stupid question:   I don't stock "whole meal" which I take to be whole wheat flour, since I seldom use it and wind up tossing it out periodically.    I do have masa, rye, grilled corn flour, garbanza flour and probably a few more suspects.    Acknowledging the lack of gluten in most of these, can I substitute any for part of the whole meal flour and make up the difference with "strong" white flour?

eGullet member #80.

Yes. Wholemeal flour is what is known in the US as whole wheat flour. And yes you can use white flours as substitutes for all or part of the wholmeal flour. As I recall the Guardian article used by @blue_dolphinsays this, but also suggests the taste will be different.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

47 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Stupid question:   I don't stock "whole meal" which I take to be whole wheat flour, since I seldom use it and wind up tossing it out periodically.    I do have masa, rye, grilled corn flour, garbanza flour and probably a few more suspects.    Acknowledging the lack of gluten in most of these, can I substitute any for part of the whole meal flour and make up the difference with "strong" white flour?

From what I read, you could use just white flour and no whole grain and some recipes just use oats and no flour at all so I think there’s a lot of flexibility. With your choices, I’d say the rye would be nice in place of the whole grain flour. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Think I'm going to try these with gf flour mix and buckwheat flour to add the taste.

My research says that they work well with a gf mix. 

Today's Staffordshire oatcake, served on one of my grandmother's Staffordshire plates

IMG_2070.thumb.jpeg.f10b66a5fba377af6f528386e90727ab.jpeg

Roasted mushrooms, sautéed spinach & onions, Jarlsberg cheese.  I went back and added some grainy Dijon mustard to my plate to dip into. 

F91539C5-1CB8-49BC-82B3-EEF0476EEFE7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4c0f018f2d7ba3d19821c2471d990405.jpeg

• Like 7