• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

47 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Stupid question:   I don't stock "whole meal" which I take to be whole wheat flour, since I seldom use it and wind up tossing it out periodically.    I do have masa, rye, grilled corn flour, garbanza flour and probably a few more suspects.    Acknowledging the lack of gluten in most of these, can I substitute any for part of the whole meal flour and make up the difference with "strong" white flour?

From what I read, you could use just white flour and no whole grain and some recipes just use oats and no flour at all so I think there’s a lot of flexibility. With your choices, I’d say the rye would be nice in place of the whole grain flour. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

20 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Stupid question:   I don't stock "whole meal" which I take to be whole wheat flour, since I seldom use it and wind up tossing it out periodically.    I do have masa, rye, grilled corn flour, garbanza flour and probably a few more suspects.    Acknowledging the lack of gluten in most of these, can I substitute any for part of the whole meal flour and make up the difference with "strong" white flour?

From what I read, you could use just white flour and no whole grain and some recipes just use oats and no flour at all so I think there’s a lot of flexibility. With your choices, I’d say the rye would be nice.