• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan ice creams

Darienne

Found this title today: Lick It! Creamy, Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love by Cathe Olson. It appears that I cannot get it through Inter Library Loan and I am loathe to buy cookbooks, sight unseen.

Has anyone else tried any of the recipes from this book?

Has anyone tried any vegan ice cream recipes with say, coconut cream or rice or nut milk or whatever.

And what about using Agave syrup for the sweetener?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I did a variation of the rice milk sherbet in Frozen Desserts by replacing the cream and part of the rice milk with coconut milk for a vegan friend and she was very happy with it. I like the original version better but it contains heavy cream so I couldn't use it for her. That's about the extent of my experience with vegan ice cream.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I did a variation of the rice milk sherbet in Frozen Desserts by replacing the cream and part of the rice milk with coconut milk for a vegan friend and she was very happy with it. I like the original version better but it contains heavy cream so I couldn't use it for her. That's about the extent of my experience with vegan ice cream.

Hi Tri2Cook,

I take it that you mean Migoya's book. Which I don't have. However, I do have some various vegan recipes which I have scrounged from here and there.

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, look up "Vega Ice creams by Cathe Olson" on Google and you'll come up with some web sites, especially her Twitter page which may lead you to some of her recipes.

(Who's Vegan--not one of the dogs at your weekend?) HeeHee

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Darienne, look up "Vega Ice creams by Cathe Olson" on Google and you'll come up with some web sites, especially her Twitter page which may lead you to some of her recipes.

(Who's Vegan--not one of the dogs at your weekend?) HeeHee

Actually, DH and I are probably the closest to vegetarians you'll find in this bunch. We were vegans for about 30 years until Ed's blood tests showed a deficiency of Vitamin B. Meat is still not a big food item, especially for me.

And no, :raz: we have no vegan dogs in attendance.

I'll look up the website. Mostly I'm curious. I love the cornstarch/ milk based ice creams and wondered how coconut milk would fare. Not for the dog weekend though...too much of do to take on any new stuff.

Thanks. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Just made the most incredible ice cream Found it on line from Cathe Olson. Would love to get her new book: Lick It! Creamy, Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.

It's her Blackberry Ice Cream but I made it with fresh frozen raspberries instead. The other ingredients are coconut milk and sugar or agave. I used sugar. Of course, I used the usual bits learned at the feet of Paul: pinch of salt, substitution of a quantity of light corn syrup, etc.

I think I've died and gone to heaven. (Yes, I am the same person who has never really cared for ice cream at all...but REBORN thanks to homemade ice creams and gelatos.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't know anything about making ice cream, but had a small portion of Full Tilt's (Seattle) vanilla vegan. Made with coconut milk. Tasted like coconut cream to me - off texture - smooth but sticky? Think I'll stick with their ice cream (local blackberry cinnamon (not local) this time.)

I don't know anything about making ice cream, but had a small portion of Full Tilt's (Seattle) vanilla vegan. Made with coconut milk. Tasted like coconut cream to me - off texture - smooth but sticky? Think I'll stick with their ice cream (local blackberry cinnamon (not local) this time.)

Hi tsquare,

I've really only tasted my raspberry-coconut gelato so I can't give you a full report. However, the doggy crowd starts to descend upon us today for the weekend...weekend?...and I'll get back about this ice cream after the weekend.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi tsquare,

I've really only tasted my raspberry-coconut gelato so I can't give you a full report. However, the doggy crowd starts to descend upon us today for the weekend...weekend?...and I'll get back about this ice cream after the weekend.

Post weekend: The raspberry ice cream was the least popular of the offering. The consensus was that you could taste the coconut milk in it and that it made a nice sherbet type dessert, but definitely NOT ice cream. So, tsquare, you were correct!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

ohhh, i have this book. i made the blueberry ice cream and it was wonderful! most of the recipes are coconut milk and soymilk based which i like since it has less fat. i am planning on trying some more soon.

"i saw a wino eating grapes and i was like, dude, you have to wait"- mitch hedburg

ohhh, i have this book. i made the blueberry ice cream and it was wonderful! most of the recipes are coconut milk and soymilk based which i like since it has less fat.  i am planning on trying some more soon.

Please do report on the recipes as you make them. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...

Just made a surprise ice cream...a surprise to me too.

A friend came for the weekend and for dessert all she would consent to eat was ice cream, mostly DL's Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream. I had also made Bark Bittman's Mexican Tofu Pudding (if you make it, please think of cutting his prescribed 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon to 1/2 teaspoon).

So the friend is gone and I had left almost the entire pudding and already it was showing signs of long life...weeping...and so I decided to turn it into ice cream.

Done. Very easy. Very nice.

ps. Interesting. I just watched Bittman's video again and he calls for 'a generous half teaspoon' of cinnamon, not the recipe's 1 1/2 teaspoons. I wrote to him and was answered by a staff member that the test kitchen staff had like the pudding with 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon. ?????

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I think the nut and coconut based ones do the best jobs of capturing the richness of ice cream. I've had some really incredible vegan ice creams, though I haven't ever tried to make my own.