• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why are my pickles hollow?

DanM

I decided to check on the pickles that I have fermenting away in the closet for the past 10 days. I cut one open and found it hollow! I thought this might be a fluke, so I tried another and same thing. I would assume that this might have to do with the fact that the brine is drawing fluid out of the pickle, but will this eventually correct itself?

Thanks,

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

In my experience, it probably won't correct itself. I've had this happen to several batches of pickles in the past and, according to my copy of Putting Food By, it comes from the cucumbers sitting around for too long at room temperature before being immersed in the brine. The good news is that you can still eat them, they're just not as nice aesthetically. And be careful biting into them, unless you want to spray your family and friends with pickle brine!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I made a batch of hollow pickles two years ago, by accident. They were fully delicious and the cuke vendor suggested they were harvested a few days too late. Whatever. Slicing them first would give you a heads up.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Oh well. It went from farm stand to crock in less than 6 hours. Stuffing them may be an option.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.