• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fridge freezer brands

I currently have a Beko fridge (width was a decider in this choice) and a Hotpoint freezer.

But you'll find manufacturers offer split fridge/freezer options. Usually 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30%.

John Hartley

Rather than being concerned with brands, I'd suggest that you look at the energy efficiency labels.

The manufacturers that are more interested in cost saving will tend to be those that make the worse-rated equipment!

The testing is standardised - but the rating is related to the unit's volume capacity. So a big one with an A rating might use more energy than a smaller one with a worse (B, C...) rating.

Above A there is A+ and A++ (which uses 45% less energy than an A).

Having better energy efficiency means that the working parts have less work to do, and so should last (even) longer.

Having separate compressors (and controls) for fridge and freezer helps both energy saving AND performance (holding within the expected temperature range).

Beyond that, its down to capacities, features (very much personal value judgement), style and inevitably, price.

Its machinery. Narrow your choices right down by specifying what it must do. Then select one from the shortlist that looks the way you think it ought to - whether that is chunky/tough or elegant/delicate. I doubt it will surprise you!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Here's one to avoid (based on my personal experience): My Smeg Fridge (ironically styled as 50's Americana) has turned out to be bloody awful.

Just poor, poor quality, and the transparent plastic for the various compartments appears too brittle to do the job. The door to the inner freezer compartment cracked and has now come off, the salad crisper is badly cracked, the metal bar that holds the milk bottles etc snapped off long ago, the cheese-box is cracked (through nothing more than moderate handling) and all is all it's been one long let down.

It looks beautiful in it's cream finish and fits the shabby-chic country kitchen style better than you might think, but aside from it's lack of robustness I don't think I ever got over the fact that the big clunky door-handle is actually purely decorative (and for pulling the door open) and doesn't open with a satisfying lift and clunk like you see on similar fridges in American movies (maybe some health and safety thing over here?).

By contrast, and mildly off-topic, the Rangemaster range we bought at the same time has been a revelation and is a joy to use every time I turn it on.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

I'd personally go with a separate fridge and freezer but not everyone has the luxury of space. My argument has always been that if one breaks then I only need to replace one small item rather than a large item. Having said that I bought a Beko fridge (with no freezer compartment) and a Beko freezer when I moved into my flat in 2000 and I've never had an ounce of trouble with either. I have a sneaking suspicion they've seen how much I drink and reckon they can outlast me.

Please don't tell me the weigt of your beloved new-born baby, because if I hear something like "Ooh, she was 7lb 13oz" I cannot stop myself calculating the roasting time. Or thinking about stuffing.

• 2 months later...

I have a beko fridge freezer, chosen because of its good engery rating and capacity. after 18 months the compressor? broke down (typically on the day of a party!). apparently it's not uncommon with Bekos as the parts they install are too small/weak for the machine, the repairman advised to go for zanussi next time if i want something reliable.