• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tower Estate Cabernet - Australia

awbrig

Anyone know anything about this 2000 vintage. I picked it up today at Whole Foods for $46.00. The most Ive spent on anything from Australia...Will drink it next weekend with a filet...wonder if anyone has had it...thanks...

That is a pretty good wine; But at USD$46 its a bit pricey; Its normally about AU$32. I don't buy that much of their reds; their eden valley Sauv Blanc and Clare valley riesling are amazing.

I had some of the 2000 cabernet about 6 months ago; I didn't keep any tasting notes, but from what I remember its a fairly typical coonawarra cabernet; its a completely new world wine. It was drinking quite well then, but will probably be better in about 4-5 years. Here is their website.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 2 weeks later...

2000 was a good to very good vintage in Coonawarra. There was some rain but the smaller makers seemed to have made a better fist of it, presumably because they could get all their wine off before the rain.

Here is a tasting note on the wine from James Halliday

James Halliday Jul 21 2002 Rating: 91 out of 100

Medium red-purple; the moderately intense but quite aromatic bouquet has a mix of blackberry, blackcurrant and earth, the medium-bodied palate presenting equally pristine cabernet varietal character on the mid palate, then soft, fine tannins to close."

Sounds like it has the balance to drink nicely now. If you see any Wynns Black label Coonawarra cabernet it should be seriously a lot cheaper and about ther same quality.

Regards from Sydney, Oz