• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The next Next Iron Chef 2009

Reignking

I agree that he screwed up in his preparation of the grasshoppers but the matzah balls may not have been bad.

I don't think the chefs on panel or fellow contestants understood the sinker vs. fluffy matzah ball problem.

I just had bad vibes from judges and contestants.

I agree that he screwed up in his preparation of the grasshoppers but the matzah balls may not have been bad.

I don't think the chefs on panel or fellow contestants understood the sinker vs. fluffy matzah ball problem.

I just had bad vibes from judges and contestants.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall in the version of the show I saw that the judges who eliminated him (for using grasshoppers as the equivalent of parsley garnish) ever got anywhere near his matzoh balls. That was a whole other part of the show, wasn't it? So, if I'm remembering correctly, how could it result in his elimination by the three judges?

edit for sp

Edited by Dignan (log)

if I'm remebering correctly, how could it result in his elimination by the three judges?

You're correct it couldn't. The matzoh ball soup was in the first round, in which the reward was being given an advantage in the elimination round. It had no bearing on his elimination.

I cant believe how big of an ass appleman was tonight.

I got the vibe that they wanted to set him up as the villain. I suspect that he, and Garces, make the finale. I noticed Appleman is now in NYC? But his apron said A16. Interesting that he relocated...

After watching this episode, and the semifinal of the previous one (re-shown Saturday night), I remembered why I love it. We get to see real chefs really challenged, but also a lot of different ways to cook.

Interesting challenge.

Unlaid eggs with the fallopian tubes still attached was the only ingredient that would skeeve me out.

I was trying to think what I would do with grasshoppers. I've ony heard about them coated in chocolate. But that would not be original. Maybe a fruit crisp with a grasshopper topping?

Donatella and Steingarten were really snipping at each other. I haven't seen ICA in ages but I get the feeling they really don't like each other. Is there a story there?

The premier sucked IMO. The "secret ingredient(s)" were selected for no other reason than shock and novelty. I hope they tone down the "stupid ingredient that they've never even remotely come across or heard of it or anything like it" shtick in future episodes.

I am rooting Dominique Crenn for the time being. She's cute and has a great accent. We'll see if she can cook when given ingredients other than sea cucumber.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I got the vibe that they wanted to set him up as the villain. I suspect that he, and Garces, make the finale. I noticed Appleman is now in NYC? But his apron said A16. Interesting that he relocated...

I agree about Appleman looking like the villain. Question is: Do the Food Network want a recurring Iron Chef with a jerky personality that might alienate viewers? (I guess some people think this describes Bobby Flay already, but I happen to like him).

do they really need another iron chef?

I'd guess someone may be about to quit, or they're having problems scheduling the current chefs due to their outside commitments. Rumor was that Batali got a pass on appearing this season due to other things he was involved in.

Perhaps Michale Symon didn't work out so well for the network. They pulled him from Dinner Impossible and brought back the guy with the questionable resume. I don't watch much Food Network. Does Symon have another show?

Symon's laugh is enough for me to mute the TV, and his cooking is so predictable IMO. I think it's Batali that is going though-his pic is no longer shown on the new episodes.

I beg to defer-it set the stage

Absurd. How did it do so, other than by some abject conspiracy theory, when we know the judges that eliminated the man did not take part in the round involving the matzoh balls, and we know the round had no positive or negative affect on his circumstances in the elimination round?

do they really need another iron chef?

I'd guess someone may be about to quit, or they're having problems scheduling the current chefs due to their outside commitments. Rumor was that Batali got a pass on appearing this season due to other things he was involved in.

Perhaps Michale Symon didn't work out so well for the network. They pulled him from Dinner Impossible and brought back the guy with the questionable resume. I don't watch much Food Network. Does Symon have another show?

Symon's laugh is enough for me to mute the TV, and his cooking is so predictable IMO. I think it's Batali that is going though-his pic is no longer shown on the new episodes.

Symon wasn't "pulled" from Dinner: Impossible. He knew going into filming he was only keeping Roberts seat warm until they figured out how to get around the whole resume thing and what not.

Symon wasn't "pulled" from Dinner: Impossible. He knew going into filming he was only keeping Roberts seat warm until they figured out how to get around the whole resume thing and what not.

Is that just speculation, or do you have some inside information?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Is that just speculation, or do you have some inside information?

I don't have a link, but there was an interview with him - not sure where it's been a while. But he states in the interview that he knew that it wasn't going to be his show. And was pretty much told from the beginning that he was just keeping the seat warm.

I thought Symon was just there for one season, but I never imagined Roberts coming back.

Eh, I was in radio for 13 years - so it didn't really surprise me that they brought him back. I've known guys who have done worse things than lie on a resume, and get hired just days after getting fired at another station. Or they wait to the whole thing blows over and hire them back at the same place. Nothing in the radio or TV world comes as a surprise to me anymore.

Donatella and Steingarten were really snipping at each other. I haven't seen ICA in ages but I get the feeling they really don't like each other. Is there a story there?

I suspect that they are just two naturally combative NY ex-lawyers who chose to disagree for the sport of it.

Looks like the Jerk Torch was passed from Appleman to Chef Crazy Eyes last night.

Hoarding grape leaves for your presentation when you know someone has to make dolma is a jackass move even if it is a competition. And he looked so pleased with himself. I'm glad the judges didn't like it.

I think Garces and Appleman will be in the finals. Not sure who else. The women are underwhelming me.

Looks like the Jerk Torch was passed from Appleman to Chef Crazy Eyes last night.

Hoarding grape leaves for your presentation when you know someone has to make dolma is a jackass move even if it is a competition. And he looked so pleased with himself. I'm glad the judges didn't like it.

I think Garces and Appleman will be in the finals. Not sure who else. The women are underwhelming me.

That was so juvenile - like Spike on TC. No one on TC Masters would have done that - they actually helped each other.

Im really surprised by both farmerie and Mehta. My meals at public and double crown were both mediocre and i had a very unpleasant meal at graffiti. There are much better cooks in nyc as chef de cuisines at numerous restaurants than these two guys. If i had to pick one out of the group to win it would be a tie between appleman and mullen.

Thank god you didn’t pick the contestants then. If you had, then all of them would have been pizza chefs… Haven’t visited public or double crown but I have visited Graffiti and I liked it. I visited it after Jehangir Mehta’s performance on Iron Chef America and was surprised to find Mehta taking time out to explain his preparations to us… Maybe you tried the wrong dish (not a big fan of eclectic cuisine?). Most of his food tends to be light so if you like your food to be heavy on the carbs then you may not like the place. With a Zagat rating of 26, Graffiti must be doing something exceptionally good.

If I had to pick one out of the group I would pick Garces or Mullen. Appleman is too political.

They seem to have a theme going. The new episode on Monday had yet another contestant for Next Iron Chef against Morimoto this time.

I watched that episode. It was Morimoto against Chef Jehangir Mehta. I always support the dark horse so I was hoping Mehta would win. Besides I thought he made the most versatile use of the ingredient. It’s hard to beat coconut scallops topped with deep fried coconut chips, coconut flavored cotton candy and marshmallows. He’s got some interesting recipes on his personal website too (www.jehangirmehta.com). They seem simple enough to prepare (Going to try making some thyme roasted potatoes tonight). Morimoto’s noodles looked mouth-watering as well. *sigh! I need a snack!