• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The next Next Iron Chef 2009

Reignking

I really enjoyed the first season, years ago, when John Besh lost out to Michael Symon.

http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/blog...october-4-2009/

The ten contestants include:

Nate Appleman (Chef/Butcher, New York, NY), Dominique Crenn (Chef de Cuisine, Luce at InterContinental San Francisco, San Francisco, CA), Brad Farmerie (Executive Chef, Double Crown, Madam Geneva, PUBLIC and The Monday Room, New York, NY), Amanda Freitag (Executive Chef, The Harrison, New York, NY), Jose Garces (Executive Chef & Owner, Amada, Tinto, Distrito, Chifa, Philadelphia, PA), Eric Greenspan (Executive Chef & Owner, The Foundry on Melrose, Los Angeles, CA), Jehangir Mehta (Executive Chef & Owner, Graffiti, New York, NY), Seamus Mullen (Executive Chef & Partner, Boqueria Flatiron and Boqueria Soho, New York, NY), Holly Smith (Chef & Owner, Cafe Juanita and Poco Carretto Gelato, Kirkland, WA) and Roberto Treviño (Executive Chef & Owner, Budatai, San Juan, PR).

The final two contestants will eventually battle it out in Kitchen Stadium and earn the right to be called Iron Chef. The winner will join the ranks of Mario Batali, Cat Cora, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto and Michael Symon and be launched into instant fame as a member of the Chairman’s team on Iron Chef America.

Half of the contestants are from NY (no doubt that would make it easier to shoot the show). I only recognize Garces and Freitag.

do they really need another iron chef?

I'd guess someone may be about to quit, or they're having problems scheduling the current chefs due to their outside commitments. Rumor was that Batali got a pass on appearing this season due to other things he was involved in.

I'd guess someone may be about to quit, or they're having problems scheduling the current chefs due to their outside commitments. Rumor was that Batali got a pass on appearing this season due to other things he was involved in.

Perhaps Michale Symon didn't work out so well for the network. They pulled him from Dinner Impossible and brought back the guy with the questionable resume. I don't watch much Food Network. Does Symon have another show?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

If Garces wins, he'll be around Philly even less, so I kind of hope he doesn't, but then again, nice press for our great food scene here if he blows the competition away.

Curious to see what Appleman can do.

Edited by jm chen (log)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jose is going to kick ass. Because that's what he does. Gotta root for one of my favorite ex-bosses for sure. Go Team Garces!!! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is more about Food Network needing/wanting yet another food competition show.

And when the time comes that they do a head-to-head competition, I wonder if the secret ingredient will be jumped shark. :hmmm:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it is Batali's replacement. He wasn't in last night's IC credits at all. Not even listed as one of the Iron Chefs.

Looks like it is Batali's replacement. He wasn't in last night's IC credits at all. Not even listed as one of the Iron Chefs.

I had heard it was to be Cora's replacement......she's pregnant, as is her partner, and wanted time off to care for the 2 new babies.

I'll be really bummed if it's Batali. The last of the Old Guard FN personalities.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I had heard it was to be Cora's replacement......she's pregnant, as is her partner, and wanted time off to care for the 2 new babies.

I'll be really bummed if it's Batali. The last of the Old Guard FN personalities.....

Cora's replacement is probably the next Next Iron Chef.

Hopefully Batali's departure just hastens him going to PBS where he belongs full time.

Im really surprised by both farmerie and Mehta. My meals at public and double crown were both mediocre and i had a very unpleasant meal at graffiti. There are much better cooks in nyc as chef de cuisines at numerous restaurants than these two guys. If i had to pick one out of the group to win it would be a tie between appleman and mullen.

Add me to the group pulling for Garces. I love Amada and enjoyed Tinto the time I went so I am sure he will kick some ass. It would be interesting if Freitag won, then the Harrison would have an Iron Chef and Top Chef among it's crew (and former crew).

Edited by Ochowie (log)

Eric Greenspan was eliminated in my opinion bcz of prejudice

What prejudice(s) were the judges basing the decision on, and what did you see/hear that leads you to believe that is the case?

I don't know about prejudice. If so, why'd they take him at all?

In any event he was screwed. GRASSHOPPERS?! WTF Admittedly he didnt do much with them, he could have treated them like candied pecans or something.