• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yakitori bar

Cookwithlove

Hi,

I am invited to a yakitori bar next week and this being my first experience going to a yakitori bar and as I have the highest appreciation for japanese food, at least I do some prior homework or post in this forum to find out what to expect and the likely repertoire of menu that is usually served and how is the term, "Yakitori" derived from? My only advantage is having the experience taught by a japanese chef many years back on how to make the yakitori sauce, which I have made it many times to acceptable Japanese standard?

Cheers!

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Don't worry. You just order what you are interested in.

This post may be of some help.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1367050

I don't know where your yakitori bar is located, but if you go to an authentic one, you will be asked, "Shio or tare?" (salt or sauce)?

Yakitori is:

Yaki = grilled

tori = chicken

youre bound to have a fun night.

all the orders tend to be small, so dont be disappointed if you dont like one particular skewer. another one will come along and youll surely find lots of items to your liking.

ive only ever been to the ones in the u.s. and there have always been translations. if youre going to a place that doesnt have a menu you can read, youll have to rely on your friends! but try lots of different things regardless.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Take a look at this previous yakitori thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...899&hl=yakitori

I have been to quite a few different places and each one seems to have a couple specialities, the great thing about yakitori is that it normally coms a stick at a time so you get a chance to sample almost everything you want.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

And here is a yokitori post in one of Peter's masterpieces:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1563071

I'd prefer one of those nostalgic places to high-end yakitori bar.

Anyway, there are a lot of sushi snobs out there, in Japan and elsewhere, but there are hardly any yakitori snobs, so just enjoy your yakitori!

• 3 weeks later...

Hiroyuki, I just got home to San Francisco after a month long trip in Japan. We had the most delicous Yakitori in an old place in Nagoya that served parts of the chicken that a lot of people would never even think of eating. Skin, cartilage, rare hearts, & gizzards. They also prepared quail eggs, whole baby partridge, and chicken sashimi.

We spent Obon in a village quite close to you (Sumon) and had a wonderful time with all the relatives eating many different Niigata speciaties :)