• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickling banana peppers

christian_ramon

Pepperonchini are different than banana peppers. Banana peppers themselves can be mild or hot. If you like hot and your peppers are mild, then the addition of any hot peper will serve.

Other than that its a standard recipe of water. vinegar(apple is best), kosher salt and any other flavorings you like. Process per canning directions.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

I only know banana peppers as really mild, crunchy and briny. Pepperoncini are a whole different thing, small very hot red peppers that you mostly get dried in Italy. Also to be found pickled or in oil etc, but for all I know they are what the mostly lame red pepper flakes here try to be. I just brought back a grinder of them from Austria and boy, they are HOT! But oh so good :-)

For pickling what ever peppers you have, you can pretty much use any vegetable pickling or preserving recipe if I'm not mistaken.

Enjoy!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Christian, can you post an image of your peppers?

My backyard greenhouse is suddenly teeming with various banana-like peppers, some hot, some mild. I put them up in vinegar or oil and I always run out in by May. Not this time.

Here's some from last year, from left to right, Hungarian Yellows in olive oil, Orange Bananas in vinegar, pickled chicken eggs with chives.

gallery_42214_6390_57112.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Peter, those pickles brought a smile to my face. Just remembered my late family members who would pickle eggs and pearl onions. I treasure those jars of pickled goodness.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Peter, those pickles brought a smile to my face. Just remembered my late family members who would pickle eggs and pearl onions. I treasure those jars of pickled goodness.

Doddie, memory and food go hand in hand.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack