• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magazine subscriptions

Edward J

I would like to subscribe to some confectionary magazines. Unfortunately Pastry & Baking ONLY accepts Visa/M/C via the internet. There is no alternative to pay by cheque, and I am very, very, very very, reluctant to put my visa # on the internet--paypal or not. I did say I was reluctant to do this, right?

Other thatn P & B NA, what other ones are out there? I can't seriously consider "Chocolatier" as it refuses to give weights in their recipies.

I can still read German fairly well, and have access to French speakers, so I'm open to any European publications.

I am not all that thrilled with "On-line" magazines, I don't spend more than 1-2 hrs per day infront of a computer, and don't see spending any more time in the future. I like a "real" magazine that I can read on the bus to work, in the bathroom, or in bed.

Books.... Currently my libarary consists of Grewling's "Chocolates and Confections", Wybauw's "Decorations", the entire series of Fachschule Richemont (Craftschool Richemont) books. Needless to say I need some "new blood".

The one, decent bookstore here in Vancouver that specializes in cookbooks has the above titles and thats about it. One intersting book by a Spanish author, beautifull book, half in spanish, half in english, but $ 250.00?

Suggestions?

If you can get your hands on a copy - is there a card in there that you can send in with your cheque? I know I've got a couple of copies around here somewhere - I'll see if I can find them.

No cards in them - but it is always the first thing I pull out of a magazine and pitch.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

You haven't mentioned if you've called them or e-mailed them about the problem. If you call them, they may allow you to send in your subscription request (but most likely using a postal money order rather than a cheque).

Edited by prasantrin (log)

There's a specialty magazine store on Commercial Drive (don't remember the name) across from Dr. Vigari's Gallery. They have a huge selection of multi-lingual-cross-cultural magazines including many food related ones. There's another store on Broadway at Granville next door to Oscar's that's bursting with magazines and lots of food/dessert issues in several languages.

Rover

I used to have the same fear, now I just temper it a bit.

As far as magazines are concerned, I wouln't EVER give them any access to any account anywhere. There are no published numbers to call when you see the bill, nowhere to call to do any one on one. You have to be direct and to the point and just cut them off when necessary. once they have your credit/debit card, they just keep billing. My advice is to find a good book store, and pay retail. God forbid, you should move, die or something!

I have heard that there is a list of magazine pub. phone #'s, but I'll let you do the walking. If you google those, then all you have to do is call w/the number (I notice the Canadian rates are a bit higher) and get your mags, then keep the # and cancel it when you want to.

When my mom died I literally had to get a lawyer involved to get reimbursed for 12 months of Reader's digest. Those guys want a serious commitment from you to give you the big discount.

jmho

Your other option is to get a VISA check card in a small dollar amount, then use it for such internet purchases. It's hard for a magazine company to continue to bill you for a subscription when the card is no longer active!

I usually find these cards in large grocery/discount stores (Walgreens Pharmacy, WalMart, etc).

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchased thousand of items over the Internet ranging in price from a Saveur 3 year subscription for $10(!)(actually not worth the money anymore) to items costing much much more. Never had a problem. Your browser will tell you the level on encription being used (most are 128 bit and outside of a Cray, impossible to break except for the NSA). -Dick

You're much, much safer using an online solution (take it from someone who works in software security). PayPal, for one, is probably one of the most secure platforms on the internet. They are because they've had to deal with fraud since day one.

Just make sure that the page requesting your credit card info. has an https:// address, not an http://

Banks in the US, however stable they might be at the moment, protect you from fraud, so even if something bad happens, you're covered.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Saveur 3 year subscription for $10(!)(actually not worth the money anymore)

Really? Why so? That's rather sad to hear. It was just a stellar mag only a couple of years ago. Edited by fooey (log)

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

Thanks.

It's not the internet security that bothers me (although I once attempted to get paypal and was refused because I didn't have an American mailing address or bank--but this was a few years ago)

No, it's all the "baggage" that the magazine or the agent/company the magazine uses puts out: "Automatic" supscription renewals, automatic subscriptions (and billings) to sister publications, lots of junk mail, and of course the fact that many such publications or their agents sell your information/particulars to other, less reputable publications or mail-order companies.

It's not the internet security, it's trusting someone with my Visa #.