• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gin proof

Fat Guy

Gordons changed its strength a few years ago in response to a duty increase

Gordon's has been 80 proof in the US for as long as I can remember, and continues to be 80 proof here. Is it lower than 80 proof in the UK now, or you mean that they reduced the proof in the UK down to 80 proof from something higher? I know that historically Gordon's had a fairly high proof, but I thought it was reduced in strength considerably more than "a few years ago."

It is interesting to see how certain gin brands vay in proof by location, presumably due to various tax laws. For example, in the US Tanqueray is considered a "high proof" gin at 94.6 proof. But in the UK it is only 86.2 proof, and in Canada it is only 80 proof. Similarly, Beefeater is a "high proof" gin in the US at 94 proof, but sells in the UK at only 80 proof. It sounds like very few spirits in the UK sell at much more than 80 proof, and lower strength is not uncommon. Interesting because, in the US, for many of our most iconic spirits, it is difficult to sell them at less than 80 proof.

--

I've never been a great fan of Gordon's, finding it too sweet and flabby but recently had the opportunity to try some 94 proof Gordon's and it was marvellous. The owner of the bottle was an Irish priest and he seemed very uninterested in the relative rarity of the contents and so I wasn't able to get a good idea of how old it was or where it had come from. If we could get that here it would be a great stablemate to Tanqueray...in fact I am under the impression they are made by the same company and would guess that the 94 proof Gordons is not imported so as to not compete with Tanqueray.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Gordons changed its strength a few years ago in response to a duty increase

Gordon's has been 80 proof in the US for as long as I can remember, and continues to be 80 proof here. Is it lower than 80 proof in the UK now, or you mean that they reduced the proof in the UK down to 80 proof from something higher? I know that historically Gordon's had a fairly high proof, but I thought it was reduced in strength considerably more than "a few years ago."

It is interesting to see how certain gin brands vay in proof by location, presumably due to various tax laws. ...

In the UK, nowadays, Gordons is 37.5% abv (US 75% proof). I believe that is also the case for their normal product throughout Europe.

It used to be 40% abv, (80 US proof), but no more, as Jackal10 said, and I explained.

It is however still sold in green glass bottles when UK tax-paid.

Strangely enough, all the Gordons bottles here are clear glass, and I do actually have a couple of 1 litre bottles of Gordon's that are labelled as 47.5% abv ( = 95 US proof). All the labels have the same design as the equivalent 37.5% product, except for that critical number!

Its important to keep your eyes open and read the small print! Especially when shopping in international airport duty-free shops. The products offered there may well be rather different to the product sold outside the airport (at both ends of your journey!)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

It is interesting to see how certain gin brands vay in proof by location, presumably due to various tax laws.  For example, in the US Tanqueray is considered a "high proof" gin at 94.6 proof.  But in the UK it is only 86.2 proof, and in Canada it is only 80 proof.  Similarly, Beefeater is a "high proof" gin in the US at 94 proof, but sells in the UK at only 80 proof.  It sounds like very few spirits in the UK sell at much more than 80 proof, and lower strength is not uncommon.  Interesting because, in the US, for many of our most iconic spirits, it is difficult to sell them at less than 80 proof.

Without trying to drift too far off topic here, faced with the option of 80-proof Beefeater, 80-proof Tanqueray and 80-proof Gordons, is Gordons my best bet? Having done side-by-side tastings of 80-proof Beefeater and Plymouth, the flavour intensity of the Plymouth made it my go-to gin for everything. I'd welcome any advice... especially advice that can save me money!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 5 months later...

Has anyone else noticed that Seagram's Distiller's Reserve has been knocked down to 94 proof? It's no longer 102 proof. After I bought a bottle the other day, I happened to look at the label, and in the little tan-colored oval where it usually says "102 proof" it now says, "Barrel mellowed". I thought I wonder why they changed tha--uh-oh." So I looked down at the bottom edge of the label and spied, in smaller print, "94 proof." I'd love to know why they play these games.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Has anyone else noticed that Seagram's Distiller's Reserve has been knocked down to 94 proof? It's no longer 102 proof. After I bought a bottle the other day, I happened to look at the label, and in the little tan-colored oval where it usually says "102 proof" it now says, "Barrel mellowed". I thought I wonder why they changed tha--uh-oh." So I looked down at the bottom edge of the label and spied, in smaller print, "94 proof." I'd love to know why they play these games.

thats not good. its my gin staple. now i have to buy a case of the old 102.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Has anyone else noticed that Seagram's Distiller's Reserve has been knocked down to 94 proof?

As far as I can tell, there has always been a variety of proofs and age statements on Seagram's gin products. The "Extra Dry" seems to be the one that is 80 proof and "barrel mellowed" whereas the "Distillers Reserve" is 102 proof and not "barrel mellowed." According to the Seagram's Gin web site, Distiller's Reserve is still 102 proof. But I've heard changing statements as to which was which and what proof was what any number of times. It's a bit odd if they're turning Distiller's Reserve into more or less high proof Extra Dry.

--

Has anyone else noticed that Seagram's Distiller's Reserve has been knocked down to 94 proof?

As far as I can tell, there has always been a variety of proofs and age statements on Seagram's gin products. The "Extra Dry" seems to be the one that is 80 proof and "barrel mellowed" whereas the "Distillers Reserve" is 102 proof and not "barrel mellowed." According to the Seagram's Gin web site, Distiller's Reserve is still 102 proof. But I've heard changing statements as to which was which and what proof was what any number of times. It's a bit odd if they're turning Distiller's Reserve into more or less high proof Extra Dry.

The bottle I have is still Distiller's Reserve. It says so in large, friendly letters. Everything about the label design, bottle color, back label copy (about the Master Distiller selecting the best batches, blah blah) etc., is the same except where it used to say 102 proof it now says Barrel Mellowed. AFAIK, all Seagram's gin is barrel aged for a short period of time, even the Extra Dry. I assume the Distiller's Reserve always was as well. I think that rather than change the '102' to a '94' in such a conspicuous place on the label, they chose to put something else in that spot, and move the proof number to the bottom.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes