• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tsushima

raji

Anybody else ever been? This place seems to be completely off the map net-wise but I've been told to go there by reliable friends in the Japanese community who've promised me the corner in front of the head chef. I have to host 2 others for a business dinner Tuesday night, and so I was hoping to report back to my fine friends here on eGullet. Will it break into my top 10? :wink:

186 views and no responses tells me I should STFU and report back....developing...

No one would ever tell you that you should STFU raji. Do report back, however.

:cool: I'm preparing myself for a Shimizu-like experience - nothing mindblowing but very dependable edomae nigirizushi served in an understated environment. Omakase should clock in around $150, which is around what I used to spend at Esashi.

Edited by raji (log)

186 views and no responses tells me I should STFU and report back....developing...

No one would ever tell you that you should STFU raji. Do report back, however.

:cool: I'm preparing myself for a Shimizu-like experience - nothing mindblowing but very dependable edomae nigirizushi served in an understated environment. Omakase should clock in around $150, which is around what I used to spend at Esashi.

You could spend that much at Esashi?! I wonder if they've been able to find somewhere else to open, or whatever became of the owners.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You could spend that much at Esashi?!  I wonder if they've been able to find somewhere else to open, or whatever became of the owners.

Actually now that I think back the most I think I paid there ordering omakase was around $70 to $90 - maybe $150 was for 2. I wonder what happened to that guy too, he was pretty nice. I like going to Sushi places where you don't feel like you are paying off a massive renovation.

:cool:  I'm preparing myself for a Shimizu-like experience - nothing mindblowing but very dependable edomae nigirizushi served in an understated environment. Omakase should clock in around $150, which is around what I used to spend at Esashi.

That about sums up the Tsushima experience. And like Shimizu, they're doing a lot to bring in a good expat lunch crowd as well.

I used to go a lot after having Tsushima recommended to me by a Japanese friend of mine. It quickly became a favorite when I could go there with 2 of my friends who would order the incredible $30 "Ladies' Set" - essentially a slightly downsized version of their normal omakase. Alas, that deal is no more.

Would love to hear an updated report since it's been about 2 yrs since I've been.

Edited by Jammin (log)