• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mmmmm Chunky Vinegar.... wth?

nessa

It could be a vinegar mother has formed. "Gelatinous" is usually the word to describe the celluose fibers of the mother. Congratulations.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sorry, Nessa, but real balsamic vinegar is not supposed to do that, in fact it is not a vinegar in the common, usual sense and there is no "mother" involved in the process. Here's the wikipedia page on balsamic vinegar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

P.S. I'm referring to Italian balsamic vinegar, but maybe you mean something different, in which case, don't mind my reply :)

I'll check and see when I get home what brand it is, and see if its actually "real" balsamic. I was wondering if adding that chunkiness, if it is in fact mother, to my own vinegar jar and if so would it improve on it. I might just throw it away and be sad. Its gelatinous but not fiberous.

After reading that link, I bet is is "modena" and this could be the guar gum solidifying. EWEWEWEWEWWWWW