• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child Marathon

maggiethecat

I don't know how tomorrow's schedule looks for other PBS markets, but here in Chicago Channel 11 is running Julia all day. (There was a cute clip showing what seemed like a 14-year old Rick Bayless teaching Julia about ribs.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Closest Philadelphia TV gets tomorrow is an episode of "Julia and Jacques: Cooking at home" on Channel 23 at 1:00 pm.

Much to my delight, a search of WHYY.org found many, maybe all, episodes of the French Chef available to view on line.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I have an embarassment of riches here in Sunny SoCal. On my satellite service, I have 4, count 'em 4 PBS stations available to me. Over the course of the last week, they have all been running huge blocks of Julia's shows, and one of them has had Julia & Jacques in their regular rotation for about 2 months now.

I'm in heaven.

All 4 of them have re-run the 2 hour tribute to Julia that was done by PBS for her 90th birthday, and which was then re-run when she passed. *THAT* one is a treasure. It has Emeril when he was still cooking at Commander's doing a crawfish boil, and showing Julia how to "suck head and pinch tail" with Julia quaffing beer (I think it's a Dixie Beer) from a bottle. It has clips of Julia and Jacques cooking live in front of an audience. It's marvelous.

It is certainly a blatent reminder of how wonderful she was as a teacher, and how lacking most of the so-called "food personalites" today are. Save for the ones who have found refuge on PBS (Jacques, Lidia, Rick, Ming, Jose, I'm talkin' to you, keep fighting the good fight.....). The sole beacon of culinary education out there......

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Our local PBS station, KSPS, ran "Baking with Julia," repeating the same six episodes throughout the day. My favorite, Julia baking scones with Marion Cunningham. How many Food Network "stars" even know the name Marion Cunningham?

I would pay a Kings ransom to watch original black and white reruns of "The French Chef." I could care less about the movie "Julie and Julia," saw it, thought it was dreadful. But if the hype of the movie and Streep playing Julia inspires more of these delicious marathons of Julia's work on PBS, so be it.

Our local PBS station, KSPS, ran "Baking with Julia," repeating the same six episodes throughout the day.  My favorite, Julia baking scones with Marion Cunningham.  How many Food Network "stars" even know the name Marion Cunningham? 

I would pay a Kings ransom to watch original black and white reruns of "The French Chef." I could care less about the movie "Julie and Julia," saw it, thought it was dreadful.  But if the hype of the movie and Streep playing Julia inspires more of these delicious marathons of Julia's work on PBS, so be it.

King's ransom not required: http://www.amazon.com/Julia-Child-French-Chef/dp/B0006VXMHG :biggrin:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien