• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch near Liberty State park

lancastermike

Will be coming up to visit Ellis Island with my wife and her brother and sister and their spouses on Aug 21. Their ancestors all arrived from Ireland at Ellis Island and they have never visited before.

Looking for someplace to have lunch after we do the visit. Type of cuisine is not as important as relative closeness to the park. Not looking to go to far out of the way. If this was a food trip I would not mind, but just looking for someplace close to relax a bit before the trip home.

Thanks to all

I don't have much experience in Jersey City as a leader to delicious food, though I sure can follow and did just a few weeks ago to Azucar (495 Washington Blvd) - wonderful, fresh, deliciously spiced Cuban- and ohhhhhhh what a Mojito!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Mike:

Not sure how close you need it to be, but the Ironbound in Newark isn't far and there's some awesome Portugese and Rodizio joints there. Shouldn't be more than a 20 minute drive and well worth it. And it's on the way home.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Mike:

Not sure how close you need it to be, but the Ironbound in Newark isn't far and there's some awesome Portugese and Rodizio joints there.  Shouldn't be more than a 20 minute drive and well worth it.  And it's on the way home.

if newark is an option I would recommend -Mompou

Tapas, Wine Bar, Lounge -77 Ferry St. Newark, NJ 07105

The Sangria is outstanding, if the weather cooporates there is a great garden in the back -- the tapas selection is plentyful, fresh, and the atmosphere is ideal.

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the Brownstone mostly because it was so close as we were real hungry after a long day of touring.

It was real good diner food and lots of it. There was not a person in our group of 6 that finished what they brought out.

Thanks to everyone who supplied a tip.