• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How much Sangria for 20 people?

thecuriousone

Hi Everybody-

I reviewed the merged topic on sangria and didnt find any info on how to plan quantity. How much Sangria should I have on hand for a party of 20 people, where it will be the principal beverage as part of a sit down dinner??

I have a recipe I like that will double and triple easily. The question is how much to make? I called a restaurant supply house and they did some calculations and came up with 260 oz. The person told me that if I made this much, they would all be drunk. this for a birthday party and many of the attendees are hard liqour drinkers not wine drinkers. Any help would be appreciated. I Just dont want to run short......................

Thanks

I'm not in the catering business or anything, but if I did my math right, 260 oz is about 10 bottles of wine in terms of volume (and sangria is wine mixed with fruit juices, correct?).

If you think of it in that way, would 10 bottles of wine be enough for your 20 people? I certainly can drink .5 bottles of wine over the course of a meal without becoming drunk (not that this is the goal). If some will be drinking other things, I'm guessing it will be enough.

Not sure if this helps, but trying to visualize 260 oz is a bit difficult.

Edited by MattJohnson (log)

I'm not in the catering business or anything, but if I did my math right, 260 oz is about 10 bottles of wine in terms of volume (and sangria is wine mixed with fruit juices, correct?). 

If you think of it in that way, would 10 bottles of wine be enough for your 20 people?  I certainly can drink .5 bottles of wine over the course of a meal without becoming drunk (not that this is the goal).  If some will be drinking other things, I'm guessing it will be enough.

Not sure if this helps, but trying to visualize 260 oz is a bit difficult.

Roughly 2 American gallons. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The question is how much to make?  I called a restaurant supply house and they did some calculations and came up with 260 oz.  The person told me that if I made this much,  they would all be drunk.

13 oz. per person doesn't sound like an over-abundance, so I'd probably shoot for a little north of that. The intoxication factor is likely to stem from how much brandy you slip in there.

I recently made sangria as the primary beverage at a summer party/birthday party. There were about 20 people there. Some tried the sangria but drank other things (mostly beer). I made a white sangria with pear brandy and assorted fruit and a red sangria with Southern Comfort and assorted fruits. The white I made with 2 bottles of a Spanish white table wine and the red with 5 bottles of a Rioja. Had lots left over. A few days later, I strained out the fruit and enjoyed the leftover sangrias with dinner over the next week or so. No one but me had more than two or three servings at the party. Folks here are just not as into it as I am!!!!!

Donna

I made a white sangria with pear brandy and assorted fruit and a red sangria with Southern Comfort and assorted fruits.  ...  A few days later, I strained out the fruit and enjoyed the leftover sangrias with dinner over the next week or so. 

I often make peach sangria in the summertime (the recipe is somewhere on eG). After we drink the wine, we fish out the delightfully-marinated peach slices and serve them over slices of pound cake and scoops of ice cream.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Also you can cut it with cranberry or other juice, 7up, black cherry soda, or something else bubbly. Don't forget to add a bunch of simple syrup, the water will help it go further, and people can have a few glasses. And bitters, for the love of all things holy, DON'T FORGET THE BITTERS!

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE