• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TastyKakes Chocolate Cupcakes

beacheschef

A bride just hired me to make cupcakes for her wedding in November. Her fiance's favorite cupcake is the chocolate TastyKake cupcake with the white icing through the middle of it. Of course, I promised her I could recreate them ...

Isn't the cupcake a devil's food recipe with chocolate ganache on top? What is the filling like?

Can you eat a few and describe them to me, please?

Thanks - Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

I'm curious about them as well. Not so much about the chocolate version but tastykakes in general. There must be something about them that makes them stand out. Michael Laiskonis has two plated dessert recipes on his blog that incorporate them. One using peanut butter tastykakes to make a malted peanut tastykake ice cream (which is plated with peanut butter powder, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, lemon confit, roasted salted peanuts, maldon sea salt, and dark chocolate rectangles) and one using vanilla cream tastykakes to make a tastykake cream and a tastykake tuile (which are plated with coconut sorbet, citrus biscuit and vanilla star anise infused pineapple juice). I'd never heard of them before seeing those recipes and I've definitely never seen them so I haven't been able to try the recipes.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

the filling is similar to a Twinkie...maybe a little firmer/grainier

a fluffy bad buttercream

ganache top with the firm white icing swirly

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Now I'm going to have to go to the corner store tomorrow morning and do some comparison on them, with a large cup of coffee.

Did the bride say which one she wanted? They have two types, the chocolate-chocolate-chocolate one, and the chocolate with a buttery off-white icing with twinkie filling.

The latter is my favorite of the two. It's more like a cake brownie. The filling is like the Twinkie, but the icing is what makes it all come together.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Now I'm going to have to go to the corner store tomorrow morning and do some comparison on them, with a large cup of coffee.

Did the bride say which one she wanted?  They have two types, the chocolate-chocolate-chocolate one, and the chocolate with a buttery off-white icing with twinkie filling. 

The latter is my favorite of the two.  It's more like a cake brownie.  The filling is like the Twinkie, but the icing is what makes it all come together.

I'm counting on you - eat 2 packs for me and then log on and describe them!

She's talking about the chocolate cupcakes with vanilla cream filling.

Beaches Pastry

Beaches Pastry Blog

Not a problem. Tune in tomorrow, after the sugar/caffeine rush wears off.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Here's a sort of klone recipe to give you an idea of these little "beauties". (If I were eating them I'd use my mom's devils good cake recipe but he's used to the store-bought taste so don't go there):

"Tasty-cake Chocolate Cupcakes"

About 24 cupcakes

Cupcakes:

1 18.25 ounce package Devils Food cake mix (whichever brand you like)

3 eggs

1/2 cup oil

1 1/3 cup water

Chocolate icing:

5 1/3 tb butter -- softened

1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 1/2 ts vanilla extract

1 tbs milk

2 1/4 c powdered sugar

Buttercream filling:

5 1/3 tb butter -- softened

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 1/2 tbs milk

1/8 tsp salt

3 c powdered sugar

Filling:

1/2 c shortening

1/2 ts vanilla extract

Pinch of salt

1 cup powdered sugar

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350. Make the cupcakes according to the

directions on the box. While the cupcakes bake, make the chocolate

and/or buttercream icings.

Chocolate Icing--In a mixing bowl, combine the butter with the chocolate chips melted in a microwave set on high for 30 to 45 seconds. Blend in the vanilla, milk and powdered sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.

Buttercream Icing--Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and

beat until smooth. If you're making the filled cupcakes, combine the

ingredients for the filling in another mixing bowl and beat until

fluffy.

When the cupcakes are cool, complete each by following these

directions.

CHOCOLATE-ICED: First spread a layer of chocolate

frosting on each cupcake. Then, using a pastry bag with a small,

round tip, draw a single straight line of buttercream icing down the

middle of the chocolate icing.

BUTTERCREAM-ICED: First spread a

layer of buttercream icing evenly over the top of each cupcake. Then,

using a pastry bag with a small round tip, draw a straight line of

chocolate icing down the middle of the buttercream icing.

CREME-FILLED: If you want the cupcakes filled you need to do it

before you frost them. Use a skewer to make a hole in

the top of the unfrosted cupcake. Stick the skewer into the middle

of the cupcake and then swirl it around to carve out a cavity in the

middle of the cake. This is where the filling will go. Using a pastry

bag, inject about 1 tsp of filling into each cupcake to fill the

hole. When you ice your cupcakes, the icing will neatly hide the

hole you made.

A bride just hired me to make cupcakes for her wedding in November. Her fiance's favorite cupcake is the chocolate TastyKake cupcake with the white icing through the middle of it. Of course, I promised her I could recreate them ...

Isn't the cupcake a devil's food recipe with chocolate ganache on top? What is the filling like?

Thanks - Mary

Aren't you eating any?

I will post Toba Garret's Decorator's Buttercream recipe.

It's that retro-y fluffy filling that you're looking for.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

Thanks - Mary

Aren't you eating any?

Wish I was eating them, but all I can do is try to remember them from visits to my grandparent's house in Philly (many, many years ago...)

I appreciate the Toba Garret retro recipe, as well as the picture from Steve.

Beaches Pastry

Beaches Pastry Blog

Thanks - Mary

Aren't you eating any?

Wish I was eating them, but all I can do is try to remember them from visits to my grandparent's house in Philly (many, many years ago...)

I appreciate the Toba Garret retro recipe, as well as the picture from Steve.

Here you go: I think what makes this darned recipe so good is the veg. shortening. I hate to admit it, but that's it. And, I'll bet if you added melted chocolate to it, you'd have the perfect TastyCake frosting, too.

454 g. unsalted butter, room temperature

230 g. vegetable shortening

1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, or 1 1/2 tsp. lemon or vanilla or almond extract

1.36 kg 10x (3lb)

135 ml milk

3 tsp. egg white powder

1 tsp. salt

Cream butter and shortening. Add flavoring and salt. Gradually add sugar, a little at a time. Add egg white powder (mixture will be very dry).

Add milk and beat til light and fluffy for 5 to 8 minutes.

Keep covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap so it doesn’t crust over while working with it.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

So it appears the vanilla cakes are just a vanilla version of the chocolate cakes being discussed here and I found plenty of information on the Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes with google. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'm not sure I care enough to make the homemade versions on the web to do the recipes and the commercial versions aren't available where I live. I'll have to dig around the snack aisle at the store and see if I can find anything similar.

P.S. I'm not trying to disrupt this thread with my own agenda, just trying to save someone the trouble of having to merge two tastykake threads.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.