• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

salty, crusty seafood in Newport, RI

James Kessler

My wife and I are looking for great "authentic" New England seafood houses in Newport, RI. The saltier and crustier the better. Looking for fish, crabs, oysters, clams, lobster, etc... you know. "The Captain's Crab House" or something like that. Please go right ahead and list your favorites. Incidentally Jamestown, RI is also ok since that's where we're staying.

-James Kessler

What else did you get?

At Flo's you mean? We got the "Fisherman's Platter" which had (all fried) scallops, shrimp, clam cake, whole clam, clam strips, calamari, fish and chips.

I had remarked while we were ordering that we should just get the fried whole clams and nothing else but my wife and I can never resist trying "a little of this and that" so we got the platter. Sure enough, the whole clams were by far the tastiest thing on there. If my belly had the room I would have crammed another whole plate of those delicious clams down there. Now I'm like a junkie... can't wait for my next fried whole clam fix. I wonder if there is any place in Fairfield County, CT that's even remotely worthy? (That's my home turf.)

-James Kessler

• 3 weeks later...

While the food at Flo's is more than enough to keep me coming back, the added perks don't hurt. When the line gets a bit serpentine and it's a hot day (yeah, not many of those in RI this year til recently), they'll often pass out free glasses of beer. Oh man...