• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Carolina Desserts

I'm helping make food for a party with a North Carolina theme. I'm not having too much luck researching desserts. Does anyone know of any desserts that are regional and peculiar to North Carolina? Thanks!

Banana Pudding with vanilla wafers - probably my favorite.

Fried fruit pies.  Red Velvet cake.

But go with banana pudding.  Really special when done well.

How about sweet potato pie? After all, N.C. is the leading producer of sweet potatoes.

Red velvet cake is a sentimental favorite, but according to several sources, it's not technically Southern. But I'd definitely agree with fried pies. Around here, Damson plum pie is an old tradition, if you can lay your hands on Damsons. Coconut cake is a lot of work, but it's also a sentimental favorite, and pecan pie fits anywhere in the South.

Other than that, I'd go with the general acclaim for banana pudding, and you can make it in large quantities.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...