• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Moments In Deep Fat Frying

Yes. I figured eGullet needs a thread in tribute to all things deep fat fried. Other than maybe in a fritto misto, I haven't come across batter fried leeks - for sure not in a hot dog joint. Seems as good a way as any to start things off.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

the day some Scottish nut case thought it was a good idea to deep fry a pizza. i had one once, this chippy near me is owned by a scottish guy and he'll deep fry your pizza for you if you send it. so i got a delivery from domino's to his place (or as its called 'plaice') and he did it. it was exactly what i thought it was gunna be. a fatty greasy messy chewy thing that once would have resembled a pizza.

there's somethings you shouldn't deep fry in my opinion.

A hot dog place in Columbus OH, Dirty Franks Hot Dog Palace, is deep fat frying battered leeks.

How are they cut?

I've made battered leek rings at home and found that 1" tall cylinders works well. If they're cut too short they come apart and you get a zillion little leek rings.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

A hot dog place in Columbus OH, Dirty Franks Hot Dog Palace, is deep fat frying battered leeks.

Sometimes see deep fried asparagus in WA State in the spring. I think it is a waste of good asparagus and good fry oil.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

F&B, the euro-fast food place 23rd St. in Manhattan among other locations, does deep fried green beans, no batter, served with herb butter.

And I once sat in on a Chinese-style cooking demonstration where one dish was, basically, green beans deep-fried in a wok till they were wrinkly and slightly browned. They were removed from the oil and drained. Most of the oil was poured out of the wok at that point, and a spicy sauce with a bit of ground pork was constructed in that same wok. The beans were tossed back in at the last moment. It was tasty!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

F&B, the euro-fast food place 23rd St. in Manhattan among other locations, does deep fried green beans, no batter, served with herb butter.

And I once sat in on a Chinese-style cooking demonstration where one dish was, basically, green beans deep-fried in a wok till they were wrinkly and slightly browned. They were removed from the oil and drained. Most of the oil was poured out of the wok at that point, and a spicy sauce with a bit of ground pork was constructed in that same wok. The beans were tossed back in at the last moment. It was tasty!

MelissaH

That's one of my all time favorite Chinese (style?) dishes. Not sure if it's authentic, but our local place does it so well.

It's old news, I know, but a deep fried Oreo rocked my world once. Once was enough, but it was kind of a revelation. The deep fried dill pickle was pretty badass, too.

If I have one deep fried weakness (besides those devil string beans, I guess) it's tempura sweet potatoes.

Friday I went to a birthday dinner at Murray's in Columbia, MO and we had their house specialty appetizer, batter dipped and deep fried green pepper rings topped with powdered sugar. Sounds awful, tastes wonderful.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I just deep fried 68 pieces of chicken, so I guess I love fried chicken. But really, just about anything deep fried, rocks.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Tonight...

really great local eggplant, sliced and seasoned

batter of self-rising flour/cornstarch/egg/club soda

peanut oil

cast iron skillet

Maybe not really "deep fried"... more like pan/shallow fried

Crispy, melty, made my mouth happy!!!

The South GA farm boys are learning how to grow some cool, different veg! These little eggplants are called "Neon"... they come in bright purple, white and striped. Thin skinned, few seeds, sweet and wonderful!

I all I have to say is that the Minnesota State Fair just rocks. Literally dozens of foods can be had deep fried... and served on a stick. One exemption is the squeeky fresh deep fried cheese curds.

Okay... now I am hungry!!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Funnel cakes make me a very happy girl.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

What's a funnel cake?

I'm not going to look it up because I believe I'll get a better answer right here.

Moe Sizlack

What's a funnel cake?

I'm not going to look it up because I believe I'll get a better answer right here.

A country fair classic.

Essentially it is a fried dough. Batter poured through a funnel like device (or a funnel) and drizzled into a deep fat fryer. Round and round and round - the circles overlap. To soak up the grease, some powdered sugar on top.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What's a funnel cake?

A country fair classic.

Essentially it is a fried dough. Batter poured through a funnel like device (or a funnel) and drizzled into a deep fat fryer. Round and round and round - the circles overlap. To soak up the grease, some powdered sugar on top.

Oooo . . . like a 3D beaver tail? Or elephant ear, I think may be similar?

Moe Sizlack

What's a funnel cake?

A country fair classic.

Oooo . . . like a 3D beaver tail? ...?

Not in the US except, perhaps, Wisconsin.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm really surprised (stunned) that know one has yet mentioned the Mecca of deep fat frying - The Texas State Fair. I mean, where else can you find deep fried Banana Split - Jelly Beans - Moon Pie - Coke - Dinner Roll - Cantalope Pie - Etc. A full list of last year's favorite deep fried treats can be found here.

And, if you ever find yourself in the Snook, TX area, drop by Sodolak's Original Country Inn for their house specialty,