• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seoul Incheon airport layover

On my way to Shanghai, I have a 4 hour layover at Seoul Incheon airport, from 5:20 to 9:30 am. Is there any good food in the airport, or possibly near it, that could be had? I realize it's rather early in the morning.

My son was there last week on the way back from Japan. He has no positive tips, but can advise you to avoid the Japanese restaurant in the upper food court. It looked good but was terrible. He also does not recommend the Subway, but you probably were not going to be seduced in Korea by the attractions of a 'foot long'.

I stayed at a hotel a short distance from Incheon airport by shuttle bus, but I'm pretty sure I ate before reaching the airport proper. I suspect that you may be able to get a taxi to take you to a kamja-tang place near the airport... that was the one category of 24-hour restaurant I found when in Seoul proper, and it was nearly devoid of people other than a couple of middle aged men drinking soju and eating kamja tang (a Korean potato stew) at 7 in the morning.

I can't remember actually eating at the airport, but I think that's because I'm nearly always in a major hurry at the Incheon airport because my flight always left much earlier than mainstream transport options made convenient.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Incheon itself is famous for its clams and Chinese food (the Korean variant) but the problem is that you have to go almost all the way back to Seoul to get to Incheon proper from the airport.

I found the prices there way too high. The only positive note was that I was able to get geolbengi at the place up on the second (?) floor before you go through immigration.

Does Subway do anything different, I wonder? Bulgoki? Kim chi? Kopchang subs!!!! I'd be really keen on a kopchang sub!

Byeok-je Galbi was recommended to me, but I couldn't find it when I was there. It's within the terminal. I was told main floor, but I found a site that said it was in the basement.

I ended up at some kind of fast food korean place which shared eating space with a coffee shop (not seattle's best, but some chain like that). It was fine, though not inspiring. From what I saw, you can't expect much better at the airport.

I might try KFC on my way back through. They might have some interesting twists, and although KFC in Japan sucks, the one in Malaysia rocks, so I still have hope for KFC in the world.

The airport website has a listing of restaurants and fast food places onsite, including their hours (many open around 6am). Personally, I wouldn't bother leaving the airport for such a short period of time.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

• 3 weeks later...
eating kamja tang (a Korean potato stew) at 7 in the morning.

Gam Ja Tang is not a Korean Potato Stew. This is a frequent mistake that many people make, as most establishments use some Potatoes in Gam Ja Tang. Gam Ja Tang is a "Gam Ja" bone stew - which refers to the spine segments of a pig that connect to the ribs (mid section of pig spine).

감자탕이라는 명칭이 붙은 것은 감자(채소)가 많이 들어가서가 아니라, 사용되는 돼지 뼈다귀 부위가 소위 '감자뼈'라고 불리우는 척추뼈의 한 부분이기 때문입니다. 뼈 속에 노랗게 붙어있는 힘줄을 '감자'라고 부른다는 것입니다. 감자탕은 돼지 사육으로 유명했던 삼국시대 지금의 전라도 지방에서 농사에 이용되는 귀한 '소' 대신 '돼지'를 잡아 그 뼈를 우려낸 국물로 음식을 만들어 뼈가 약한 노약자가 환자들에게 먹게 한 데서 유래된 음식입니다.

Edited by jkim (log)

• 1 year later...

incheon airport has a variety of resturant. We went to a korean one at it was pretty good. I had soon doo bu chigae, my dad had broiled fished. Excellent and inexpensive.

Cannot beat that.

Airline food still sucks.

• 1 month later...
eating kamja tang (a Korean potato stew) at 7 in the morning.

Gam Ja Tang is not a Korean Potato Stew. This is a frequent mistake that many people make, as most establishments use some Potatoes in Gam Ja Tang. Gam Ja Tang is a "Gam Ja" bone stew - which refers to the spine segments of a pig that connect to the ribs (mid section of pig spine).

감자탕이라는 명칭이 붙은 것은 감자(채소)가 많이 들어가서가 아니라, 사용되는 돼지 뼈다귀 부위가 소위 '감자뼈'라고 불리우는 척추뼈의 한 부분이기 때문입니다. 뼈 속에 노랗게 붙어있는 힘줄을 '감자'라고 부른다는 것입니다. 감자탕은 돼지 사육으로 유명했던 삼국시대 지금의 전라도 지방에서 농사에 이용되는 귀한 '소' 대신 '돼지'를 잡아 그 뼈를 우려낸 국물로 음식을 만들어 뼈가 약한 노약자가 환자들에게 먹게 한 데서 유래된 음식입니다.

This is (supposedly) true, but the stew nontheless contains potatoes. :) It would be most accurate to call it a spine and potato stew though I guess.

The food in the airport itself is not bad. I even found some reasonably vegetarian stuff last time.

I don't know the names of anything - just look around - whatever's close and looks tasty should be decent.

There are two transit hotels at the ends of the terminal. One or maybe both of them have a Korean restaurant inside called Matina that is pretty good. They take USD or credit card. I've tried this twice. Towards the middle, there's a food court with several counter restaurants, but the Korean one I tried was not as good.